A new Pentagon report mentioned that global warming is one of the urgent and growing threat to “national security”(Nakamura, 2015, para 1). Presidential contender/Senator/ Bernie Sanders also pointed out that “global warming, not terrorism or nuclear weapon proliferation or Chinese hacking, is the biggest threat facing the country”(Follett, 2015, para 1). Global warming contributes to the death of 400,000 people a year and costing the world more than $1.2 trillion, which is about 1.6% of the annual global GDP (Harvey, 2012, para 4). Raising social awareness about the effect of global warming is the first step to avert the damaging consequences.Today, I would like to present to you what causes global warming, the effects of global warming on weather conditions as well as the economy, and the effects of global warming on biodiversity.
I First,I would like to inform you about the causes of global warming.
A. The emission of greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide to the atmosphere cause global
1. According to Colin Woodard, award winning investigative journalist and CQ researcher,
the concentration of too much carbon dioxide, due to the burning fossil fuel, in the
atmosphere trap the heat and cause the earth to warm (Woodard, 2007, p 29).
a. Because of the excessive emissions from the various manufacturing plants around the
world carbon dioxide blanket the earth in such a way that the heat that would
otherwise escape to the atmosphere will be trapped by the CO2 which cause the
surface of the earth to warm.
We can take our electric and gas provider PG&E as an example. PG&...
... middle of paper ...
... which is the main prey for Polar bears, and increases the amount of time and
energy needed for hunting, leaving less energy for reproduction
( Michelle, ( n.d.), para 4).
Today I shared with you what causes global warming, the effect of global warming on weather and the economy , and the effect of global warming on biodiversity. Millions of people around the world are losing their life, their home, their business because of global warming induced extreme weather. While extreme weather caused by global warming affects everyone indiscriminately, the poors are the one affected disproportionately. As such fighting global warming and averting the adverse consequence thereto start with getting informed about the issue. And I hope today I raised your awareness about global warming.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As British Conservative politician, William Hague once said, “We have to face the reality of climate change. It is arguably the biggest threat we are facing today.” In todays society, we have come such a far way with technology and how we live our lives. We have easier ways of making our electricity and easier ways to get from one place to another. To keep up with our technology, we are also burning up an excessive amount of fossil fuels and releasing jaw dropping amounts of CO2 into the air. A lot of our transportation systems of people and our food and also how we get our electricity help to show just how much we are polluting the world.... [tags: Greenhouse gas, Carbon dioxide, Global warming]
1179 words (3.4 pages)
- The world we live in today has been becoming more industrialized day by day. Along with all these developments that industrialization brings, there are various other problems that come along with it. The most challenging problems that people are facing from industrialization is environmental issues. For instance, the global warming is the most difficult and obvious problem, it is mostly caused from carbon dioxide emission from many factories and cars produce. In other words, as fuel burning facilities produce more and more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, the greenhouse gas level in the earth’s atmosphere gradually increases over a time, resulting global temperature to increase due to the... [tags: Kyoto Protocol, Carbon dioxide, Global warming]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- Outline Climate change is caused due to the release of few carbon compounds into the atmosphere, which drastically brought the weather changes all over the world. Climate change is not confined to a single region. It has become an important issue all over the world for the past few years. Reasons of global climatic change Global warming is one of the major reasons in marine pollution. For an instance in the year 2010 there was an oil leakage near Mumbai in the Arabian Sea. Another reason is deforestation.... [tags: Global warming, Climate change, Carbon dioxide]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- People all around the world use cars and trucks to transport themselves and their goods from place to place, so analyzing the auto industry gives insight into hundreds of millions consumers worldwide. Since there are cars in nearly every country, the supply and demand of automobiles greatly increases each year, as people want a faster, more convenient way of travelling. At the same time, emissions from automobiles add to the growing pollution in the environment, which also affects people around the world.... [tags: auto emissions, global warming]
898 words (2.6 pages)
- One of the major problems confronting today society is global warming. Everyone is talking about global warming, which is also known as “climate change” or “green is the new black”. However, like Mark Twain once said, “everyone talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it” (1897 P. 8) According to dictionary.com global warming can be described as “an increase in the average temperature worldwide believed to be caused by greenhouse effect.” We are the most responsible for this situation because “…by burning fossil fuels such as coal, gas and oil clearing forests we have dramatically increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the earth’s atmosphere and temperature are rising.” – (... [tags: climate change, problem]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Social scientists and organizational psychologist have given additional acknowledgment to the influence of social and cultural issues in organizational system (Carter, 2000). This clearly indicates that how these issues affect many fields of society and how important is their resolution. Many key global events of the last decade have captured issues of nationalism and cultural diversities. As Hallinan and Jackson says, “Within the context of the post 9/11 era a complex and arguably contradictory and paradoxical set of conditions, practices and policies have emerged in relation to how we see, represent, understand and acknowledge the diversity of ‘Others’” (2008).... [tags: Sociology]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- The two fundamental reasons behind fighting climate change are for the economic benefit and the moral obligation not to harm others. In “Empathy and Climate Change”, Roman Krznaric argues that these two approaches have not brought sufficient action, and a shift must be made in the way that we approach fighting climate change; empathy must be brought into the equation. Krznaric defines empathy as, “our ability to step into the shoes of another person and comprehend the way they look at themselves and the world…” (209).... [tags: Greenhouse gas, Climate change, Global warming]
1254 words (3.6 pages)
- Global warming is one of the greatest problems facing the earth. Global warming is mainly caused by the increase of greenhouse gasses, carbon dioxide and methane. The use of petrol and diesel help to release more carbon dioxide into the air. The earth’s upper atmosphere directly caused by burning of fossil fuels, farming, industrial process, and deforestation. In order to reduce greenhouse gas emission, researchers and scientists have come across with several solutions. This paper will overlook into two effective solutions to reduce the greenhouse gas emission.... [tags: Carbon dioxide, Greenhouse gas, Global warming]
2005 words (5.7 pages)
- Do you hate winter. Do you hate the sound of the rain. Do you feel annoyed when your toes are freezing. have you ever wished for summer to be all year. Well, you will most likely change your opinion when global warming impacts our atmosphere and weather. Nowadays, Global warming is one of the biggest problems facing our society. According to the article “Global change and the greenhouse Earth”, many scientists believe that the emission of greenhouse gasses is impacting climate change and this is extremely dangerous for all of our lives.... [tags: Greenhouse gas, Global warming, Carbon dioxide]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- Agriculture, according to Jared Diamond, is an adaptation this country has made that is the “worst mistake in the history of the human race”. In his article he discusses how the disadvantages of becoming a country based solely around agriculture have become a country’s biggest downfall. Looking back in the past, the fear of survival ultimately led to the beginning of agriculture. It is safe to assume that agriculture took off based on fear which can be why Diamond thinks so negatively of it. Although some may argue that agriculture has allowed an individual more free time, it is something that created an unsolvable disaster.... [tags: Personal life, Human, Agriculture, Tourism]
1932 words (5.5 pages)