As an undergraduate at Angelo State University, a passion for kinesiology and nutrition emerged. For the majority of my life I was obese. After my first year at ASU, I knew it was time for a change. I was fed up with being the obese guy. I sought out all the knowledge I could acquire about resistance training methodologies and sound nutrition practices through my degree plan. During my junior year at ASU, I was enrolled in a Sports Nutrition course with Dr. Adam Parker. The course immediately became my favorite course because I could apply the information for the betterment of myself. From my sports nutrition course, the three day food log resonates with me the most because I learned how to calculate my basal metabolic rate(bmr) and total daily energy expenditure(tdee). Understanding the calculation of basal metabolic rate and tdee, allowed me to compute how many calories I would need to accomplish my goal o...
... middle of paper ...
... more sustainable and optimal approaches for the community in exercise and sports nutrition. With the guidance from the following thesis mentors of the ESN program such as; Nancy DiMarco, Huanbiao Mo, and Kyle Biggerstaff will foster a great environment to maximize my opportunity on the reduction of obesity/childhood obesity pandemic. I would like to also acquire valuable experience in researching Sports Nutrition to contribute in the evolution of the performance, which mentor Nancy DiMarco would provide.
The Texas Woman’s University programs are reputable and I believe with my drive and guidance of the ESN program at TWU I can achieve my goals to enjoy my career, produce exceptional results in the field of sports nutrition and exercise, and eventually become the knowledgeable student of TWU that individuals will seek for guidance,solutions, and long term adherence.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The topic I choose is Exercise and Obesity for kids. The reason I choice this is because growing up I was able to have recess and after school activities that helped me burn energy and helped me focus more in school. With kids now the recess and gym time has changed for the worse in some school districts were they don’t have it at all. I feel this is bad because kids can’t focus and they don’t burn off energy and they also can lead to overweight. Outside of the schooling they don’t seem to get the physical activity that they need on a daily bases with technology and lack of trying or wanting to do things outside.... [tags: Obesity, Overweight, Physical exercise, Nutrition]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- ... This is their heart 's desire. Their family members, friends, and high-school coaches acknowledge and support that goal, so why not let them step out of the closet and declare their true aspiration—to study football, basketball, or baseball. Why not legitimize such an academic specialty in the same manner that other professional performance careers, such as dance, voice, theater, and music, are recognized and supported. Why treat preparation for professional sports careers differently. Why not establish a well-planned, defensible, educationally sound curriculum that correlates with a career at the elite level of sports.... [tags: Football, Professional sports, Education]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- Weight Loss by Athletes and Health Concerns Waking up, sophomore Mike Fumagalli would peel off the garbage bags and layers of clothing he had worn to bed the night before hoping to "sweat away" some extra weight. Throughout the day, he would ask teachers to use their trashcans and would spit constantly. Sometimes, he would even cut his hair or sit in a sauna, all to lose a couple more pounds. Many people may wonder why someone would go to such extreme measures just to lose a few pounds. For Fumagalli, the answer was simply: "Everyone likes to win.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
982 words (2.8 pages)
- In many schools across the nation, adventure education and outdoor sports are very important. These different types of curriculum provide benefits that many other curriculum does not provide, as well as a basic knowledge for outdoor activities and living. Not only will outdoor sports and adventure education get kids moving but it will also help kids become more aware of the world around them and can learn activities that are used on a daily basis outside. With the many different types of these activities, there are hundreds of different things that can be done in a physical education classroom.... [tags: curriculum, physical education, hiking]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- ... This statistic does not surprise me at all. If you think about it, when a child is overweight, chances are it is because they are not being properly taught how to eat well and engage in physical activity. And if they are not taught how to fix it, how are they going to lose weight when they become adults. Growing older does not automatically teach a person how to take care of their body, which is why there are so many overweight adults in the United States. As future educators, this is something we hope to turn around.... [tags: Obesity, Exercise, Nutrition, Physical exercise]
1135 words (3.2 pages)
- The debilitating consequences of America’s obesity epidemic are being felt on both local and national levels. As the crisis has gained more and more coverage, interventions aimed at slowing or reversing obesity rates have sprung up across different sectors, geographic areas, and age groups. Government initiatives such as Let’s Move. and national organizations such as SPARK Physical Education offer resources that local organizers carry out in cities across America through Head Start, YMCA, and other programs.... [tags: Obesity, Exercise, High school, Program]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Children that are obese has grown at a disturbing rate and has become the normal across American families. The technology that this world holds has become a huge active role in child obesity. Obesity is not just due to the technology; however, the parental guidance of technology use and the lack of free time to cook healthy and nutritional meals. Obesity occurs when someone who has an above average body mass index (BMI). A well-balanced food consumption and exercise plan will help prevent and reduce the chances of a child becoming and staying obese.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Physical exercise, Food]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- When it comes to the topic of a Fat Tax for being overweight in the United States, most of us will readily agree that people should not be taxed for being overweight or obese. Where this agreement usually ends, however, is on the topic of how overweight and obese people will have a higher risk of health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and/or a stroke. Being taxed for being overweight is outrageous because they could be suffering from depression or have an eating disorder, but it is true that some of them could be really lazy and just eat a lot.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Dieting, Physical exercise]
1699 words (4.9 pages)
- Athletic Benefits of Supplements The Development of drugs and supplements used by mankind has evolved from what it once was in its early stages of existence. As with all man-made things, it is said that anything made by man can be improved (Moore, p35). With this concept, almost anything in nature can apply. In this case, the development of anabolic supplements and the human body. In the later years, the usage of supplements in sporting events have helped athletes achieve new goals which could not have been accomplished through training alone.... [tags: Persuasive Argumentative Essay Examples]
2754 words (7.9 pages)
- Nutrition and Exercise Reccomendations, Past and Present Ancient Nutritionists Frank Katch, William McArdle, Victor Katch and James Freeman did research in 1998 that suggested that the first nutritionists came out of the early Olympics between the years of 776 BC and 393 AD. During this period paidotribes, which were private trainers or coaches, advised their athletes about the importance of food and exercise. One of these early coaches was Melesias. Melesias was one of the most educated nutritionists in his era.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
2129 words (6.1 pages)
- What Is The Most Important Theory For The Client?
- A Connection Between God 's Missional Work And The City
- U.s. Healthcare Systems Development
- The Role Of Giger And Davidhizar 's Transcultural Assessment Tool
- Racism And Racism : The United Army And Fight For Their Lives
- The Impact Of Dharma On Dharma 's Organization