Transport Sector Essay

1232 Words3 Pages

The transport sector plays a pivotal role in enhancing the global competitiveness of an economy and as well as in contributing to the efficient functioning of the supply chain, domestically. Efficient transport and telecommunication network reduces production and transaction cost in poor regions which serves as stimulus for domestic commerce. There is a positive correlation between global trade competitiveness and an efficient transport sector. Growing economic interdependence through an increasing volume and variety of cross-border transactions has resulted in increasing the importance of the transport sector. The Transport sector has the ability to potentially raise the economic growth of developing regions and lead to a shift of production …show more content…

The trucking sector in Pakistan is still an informal sector and credible information on the sector is hard to find. There is a discrepancy in the number of total trucks in Pakistan with different studies quoting different figures. There were a total of 223,152 registered trucks as of 2011, while the Government of Pakistan estimates that only 93% of these are actually plying the roads of Pakistan the rest of the 7% being inactive due to poor condition. Another study quotes that Pakistan has 293,000 commercial cargo trucks operating. The discrepancy of figures is reflective of the fact that there is lack of accuracy in the available data due to the informal nature of the trucking sector. There is also lack of research on the freight transport sector of the country.
6. Pakistan has been facing poor markets from decades and inefficiencies in these have resulted in hampering the growth of the economy as a whole. About 30% to 40% of agricultural production is wasted due to inefficient farm-to-market channels. Much of this waste is due to of an inefficient, outdated and poorly equipped transport …show more content…

Transport system in Pakistan is wide-ranging and diverse serving not only its population but also supporting it militarily. The most common means of transportation in Pakistan are Roads, Railways, Aviation and Seaports. In recent years, new national highways have been built, with the addition of motorways which have improved trade and logistics within the country. Much of Pakistan's rail network railway was built before 1947, mainly during the British Raj. Airports and seaports have been built with the addition of foreign and domestic funding. Owing to its strategic location, a well developed and well-organized transportation system will contribute significantly in burgeoning national economy. China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) if successfully materialized will connect remote regions of our country into one road one Asia chain. With the help of CPEC, roads and railways infrastructure will integrate Pakistan with the regional countries which will result in generating economic boom by integrating Pakistani markets with Central Asia, Middle East and other parts of the world. Other than transportation infrastructure, the economic corridor will provide Pakistan with modern telecommunication and energy infrastructure,

Open Document