711 Words2 Pages

In the summer of 1947, there were a number of UFO sightings in the United States. Sometime during the first week of July 1947, something crashed near Roswell. W.W. “Mac” Brazel went with his son and neighbours Floyd and Loretta Practor, to check on their sheep after a fierce thunderstorm that had taken place just the night before. As they were walking to where the sheep were they saw pieces of what seemed like metal debris. After a bit more investigating, Brazel saw a shallow trench that was several hundred feet long. Brazel went to Roswell and reported it. On July 1947 the press said that a wreckage of a crashed disk had been recovered and issued to col. William Blanchard of the 509th bomb group at Roswell. Just hours later the 509th bomb group said it had been mistakenly identified as a flying saucer when in fact it was really only a weather balloon.

When and by whom was this debris found?
W.W. “Mac” Brazel gathered his son and neighbours to check on the sheep because of a storm. On the way to check on the sheep the group found bits of debris everywhere and a long shallow trench.

Could it have been a weather balloon?
Col. Blanchard sent Major Jesse Marcel to investigate. Marcel was able to determine what direction it came from, and which direction it was heading. He also believed it must of exploded above the ground and fell. Major Jesse Marcel said the debris was “strewn over a wide area and the metal was as thin as aluminium foil but indestructible”.

Is there anything to indicate that this really was a UFO but it was being covered up the 509th bomb group? Back in Roswell, Glenn Dennis, a young mortician working at the Ballard Funeral Home, received some curious calls one afternoon from the morgue at the airfield. It seems the Mortuary Officer needed to get a hold of some small hermetically sealed coffins, and wanted information about how to preserve bodies that had been exposed to the elements for a few days, without contaminating the tissue. Glenn Dennis drove out to the base hospital later that evening where he saw large pieces of Wreckage with strange engravings on one of the pieces sticking out of the back of a military ambulance. Upon entering the hospital he started to visit with a nurse he knew, when suddenly he was threatened by military police and forced to leave.

Open Document