What is Marriage?
According to Cornell University Law School, the definition of marriage is “The lawful union of a couple as spouses. The basic elements of a marriage are: (1) the parties' legal ability to marry each other, (2) mutual consent of the parties, and (3) a marriage contract as required by law.” This definition states that marriage is essentially a contract between two people. Nowhere in this definition does it state that the marriage has to be between a man and a woman.
However, the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of marriage is “(1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage.” This definition does allow for the interpretation of marriage as being a marriage, whether it is an opposite or a same-sex marriage.
What is a gay marriage?
When searching for a dictionary definition of a gay marriage or same-sex marriage it could not be found. However, in Wikopedia (not the most reliable source) a definition was found. It states that same-sex marriage (also known as gay marriage) is marriage between two people of the same biological sex and/or gender identity. Legal recognition of same-sex marriage or the possibility to perform a same-sex marriage is sometimes referred to as marriage equality or equal marriage, particularly by supporters. Many opponents characterize the legalization of same-sex marriage as “redefining marriage."
Florida’s law on gay marriage:
In Florida, gay marriage is not legally allowed due to statues that define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. The state passed the Defen...
... middle of paper ...
...me-sex marriages, whether a person believes in it or not. However, if they are going to happen, then those people in the same-sex unions should be made to contribute to society as a “man and woman” union.
• "Marriage." LII / Legal Information Institute. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
• "Marriage." Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
• "Gay Marriage Laws in Florida." Florida. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
• "Florida Gay Marriage." Law Office of Gideon I Alper RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
• "Gay Marriage ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
• "Gay Marriage." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 04 June 2014. Web. 05 Apr. 2014.
• “Gay Marriage: States That Allow Same-Sex Unions Have Lower Divorce Rateshttp.” The Huffington Post. www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/gay-marriage_n_3513028.html. 27 June 2013.