An electronic cigarette (e-cig or e-cigarette), personal vaporizer (PV) or electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) is a battery-powered vaporizer that simulates the feeling of smoking. The user breathes in an aerosol, commonly referred to as vapor, rather than cigarette smoke. Limited evidence suggests e-cigarettes are safer than traditional cigarettes. People who do not already smoke can become addicted to them (Barrington-Trimis, Samet, McConnell, 2014). While Electronic Cigarettes do not contain as many chemicals as regular cigarettes and the nicotine is only a small amount compared to a pack, electronic cigarettes still prove to be dangerous just as regular cigarettes. Nicotine in any amount is an addictive substance, and is often seen as a gateway to harsher substances. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates nicotine patches and many other nicotine replacement therapy because they are drug delivery systems. Electronic cigarettes, which are, drug delivery systems, deliver a regulated drug, nicotine, however are not subject to FDA control. This makes access to nearly everyone, as easy as purchasing a pack of chewing gum.
Effects of Electronic Cigarettes on Public Health
Cigarette smoking has been steadily but slowly declining in the United States, as many different alternative tobacco and nicotine delivery products have been gaining popularity. This is partly because many alternative tobacco products which come in various sizes, flavors, and forms are marketed and often perceived as being relatively safe. However, alternative tobacco products, such as e-cigarettes, can cause serious potential health problems, including cancer, because of the chemicals and toxins they contain. Because electronic c...
... middle of paper ...
...Trimis JL, Samet JM, McConnell R. (2014) Flavorings in Electronic Cigarettes: An Unrecognized Respiratory Health Hazard?. JAMA. 2014;312(23):2493-2494. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.14830.
Benowitz, N. L., & Goniewicz, M. L. (2013). The Regulatory Challenge of Electronic Cigarettes. JAMA: Journal Of The American Medical Association, 310(7), 685-686. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.109501
Cameron, J. M., Howell, D. N., White, J. R., Andrenyak, D. M., Layton, M. E., & Roll, J. M. (2014). Variable and potentially fatal amounts of nicotine in e-cigarette nicotine solutions. Tobacco control, 23(1), 77-78.
New CDC study finds dramatic increase in e-cigarette-related calls to poison centers. (2014, April 1). Retrieved July 9, 2015, from http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0403-e-cigarette-poison.html
Pearson, J. L., Richardson, A., Niaura, R. S., Vallone, D. M., & Abrams, D. B. (2012). E-
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Electronic Cigarette Ads: Are They What They Claim to Be. Living in a world where many prefer to believe what is shown to them, rather than doing some of their own research, can lead to consequences. (Figure 1) Some people believe electronic cigarettes are a safer and healthier alternative to the actual cigarette because of how they are advertised. “Because they [e-cigs] deliver nicotine without burning tobacco, e-cigarettes are purported to be safer and less toxic than conventional cigarettes.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Electronic cigarette]
1356 words (3.9 pages)
- The use of electronic cigarettes, or “vaping”, is slowly growing to be a problem to our government. Vaping is starting to take over the smoking industry, so the government feels the need to step in and regulate it somehow. Electronic cigarettes, or “vapes”, should not be regulated by our government. The juice that these electronic cigarettes contain consists of vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, and pure nicotine. More propylene glycol in the juice makes for more flavor, and more vegetable glycerin makes for more vapor production.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Electronic cigarette]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- Electronic cigarette use is a trend that has rapidly increased across the world. E-cigarettes are an alternative to conventional cigarettes, it delivers an aerosol vapor that contains nicotine. Electronic cigarettes are marketed to be healthier and less harmful than conventional cigarettes. According to the CDC (2015), conventional cigarette smoking kills more than 480,000 Americans each year, with more than 41,000 of these deaths from exposure to secondhand smoke. Electronic cigarettes are marketed to be healthier and also helpful in the cessation of conventional smoking, people should still be aware of what an electronic cigarette is, chemicals and substances in e-cigarettes, and efficacy... [tags: Tobacco, Nicotine, Smoking, Cigarette]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Since 2008, Electronic Cigarettes have become widely popular across the United States, despite the obvious health benefits the long term health effects of “smoking” electronic cigarettes are still unknown to researchers today. Electronic Cigarettes are the answer to a safer method of consuming nicotine despite its more popular tobacco products. Even though the effects of consuming large amounts of nicotine in a persons’ system is unknown, the unbanning of electronic cigarettes in Los Angeles decrease the harm second-hand smoke causes as well as the health risks associated with toxic tobacco products such as cancer.... [tags: cigarettes, smoking, nicotine, tobacco]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Electronic cigarettes have been a massive hit lately in the U.S. market. E-cigarettes do not technically produce smoke, but they do produce vapor and are not much different from ordinary cigarettes. Even though e-cigarette may be considered safer than regular cigarettes it still contains nicotine and other chemicals that are harmful to the human body. E-cigarettes can be a positive measure opposite of tobacco products, but in the long run it is no different than regular cigarettes and could lead to negative outcomes.... [tags: ordinary cigarettes, vaping]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- The American Heart Association reported that smoking tobacco cigarettes cost the United States economy 289 billion dollars annually (Electronic cigarettes-the Primary Cares Provider’s Response). Now imagine if that 289 billion dollars could be reduced even a fraction by people quitting smoking through the use of an electronic cigarette. Electronic cigarettes, also known as electronic cigarettes, have many positive and negative benefits and can be a positive step in the right direction for people who want to quit smoking.... [tags: Nicotine, Tobacco, Smoking, Cigarette]
1341 words (3.8 pages)
- There is a new trend hitting the market known as e-cigarettes, or “vaping.” Many people believe that e-cigarettes are better than traditional cigarettes, but research shows just how unhealthy and harmful e-cigarettes are for everyone. The FDA has not yet decided if e-cigarettes should be regulated like tobacco products. E-cigarettes are marketed to help people quit smoking and live a healthier nonsmoking life. E-cigarettes are meant to help break the habit of smoking, but why are there so many “toxic chemicals” (Gilger) in the vapor.... [tags: vaping, unhealthy, harmful]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
Should Electronic Cigarettes Be Effective? Reducing Cigarette Use And Predicting Successful Smoking Cessation?
- Grana, Popova and Ling (2014) conducted a study to determine if electronic cigarette use is effective in reducing cigarette use and predicting successful smoking cessation. Their study included 949 participants who were current smokers. According to their data, the use of electronic cigarettes did not successfully predict quit status one-year later or significant reduction of cigarette use one year later. This study suggests that electronic cigarettes are not superior to research based nicotine replacement therapies in increasing rates of smoking cessation.... [tags: Nicotine, Smoking, Cigarette, Tobacco]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- ... Records or personal information can be lost if portable devices such as memory cards, hard drives, tablets or laptops are lost, stolen or corrupted or even by natural disaster (2014 EMR Mandate, 2012). Recommendations Electronic records will mean doctors will no longer have the need of trying to remember every detail from one appointment to the next. Reading another doctor’s handwriting can be difficult, and with EMRs a patient’s medical history can travel with them from doctor to doctor in a more efficient safer way.... [tags: electronic medical records]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- The electronic cigarette is claimed to be a healthier alternative than smoking a cigarette. The next big thing in the tobacco industry and are they safe as they claim to be. One of the claims is it will help stop all the effects of second hand smoke. The electronic cigarette has many known and un-known chemicals in them such as nicotine. The study of electronic cigarette can give us answers to the question are electronic cigarette safer than smoking cigarette. They claim to be less toxic to second hand smokers unlike tobacco cigarette, but electronic cigarette is just as toxic to the user as the cigarette is.... [tags: Cigarette, Tobacco, Electronic cigarette]
731 words (2.1 pages)