Scientists, researchers, and doctors have conducted many studies involving the use of anabolic steroids. These studies have been conducted on various athletes of different sexes and also involving many different sports. Comparison has also been made with athletes using anabolic steroids and those who do not use. A comparison has also been made using anabolic steroids compared to creatine.
Several effects of steroid use have been identified. These include an increase in low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and a decrease in high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. These lipid changes if allowed to continue over long periods of time could result in coronary heart disease (6). Some other side effects of steroids in men include shrinking of the testicles; reduced sperm count, infertility, baldness, development of breasts, and increased risk of pro...
... middle of paper ...
With television and computer so common in today’s society, more and more people spend much time at home watching sport shows. Young children grow up with their heroes being famous athletes they see on TV everyday. These young children grow up wanting to be just like the people they have watched for years on television. Becoming a great athlete is a dream of many young people and also their parents. Because steroids have seemed to make it a lot easier for people to attain the goals they have set out to accomplish, many people have turned to the drugs to gain that goal. Without thinking about the physical side effects or the mental side effects that steroids can have on them, they are willing to risk all that to become bigger, stronger, or faster just to succeed in sports whether it be in junior high, high school, college or at the professional level.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
Muscle Strengthening Effects of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids in Resistance Trained Athletes and non-Athletes
- Anabolic-androgenic steroids are a synthetic compound which are structurally related to the male sex hormone, testosterone (Amsterdam et al.,2010, Thiblin and Petersson, 2004). Testosterone has two effects on the human body; first it helps in the development and maintenance of secondary male sexual characteristics and, secondly, it promotes muscle growth. All anabolic-androgenic steroids are derivatives of testosterone and have both anabolic and androgenic properties; which is why the use of the term anabolic-androgenic steroids is more appropriate than anabolic steroids (Kuhn, 2002).... [tags: Anabolic-androgenic, testosterone, athletes]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- The intent of this essay is to show that steroids have many negative effects and that steroids, and other natural supplements, should be closely studied by the FDA. This essay will also support the claim that the professional sports industry needs to eliminate steroid use and set a good example for younger athletes. Over one million American seek short cuts to larger muscles and greater endurance with anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. Steroids are drugs that act like chemical in the body. Most steroids are transformed into testosterone when they enter the body. Testosterone is a male growth hormone. While user may gain short-term results, they are seriously s... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use by Athletes]
2110 words (6 pages)
Muscle Strengthening with Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids in Resistance Trained Athletes and Non-Athletes
- Simply because the same muscular strength enhancements are gained by athletes and non-athletes this does not mean that anabolic-androgenic steroids do not come without side effects (Harthens and Kuipers, 2004). The adverse physical and mental side effects can affect long term users of anabolic-androgenic steroids as well as short term users whether they be athletes or non-athletes (Harthens and Kuipers, 2004). Side effects related to anabolic steroid use fall into many different categories such as: cardiovascular, hepatic, dermatologic, reproductive-endocrine, male specific and female specific, behavioral and injection related (Amsterdam et al.,2010).... [tags: side effects, physical, behavior]
612 words (1.7 pages)
- Do Anabolic Steroids Have an effect on Aggression and Hostility. Anabolic steroids have been heavily used amongst athletes since the 1950’s; the purpose of using is to add muscle mass, speed, strength, and endurance. Anabolic steroids come in two methods, injectable forms and oral forms. Oral and injectable steroids metabolize in the body differently. Oral steroids include some different hormones than injectable steroids. Oral steroids can include, but not limited to, methyl testosterone, fluoxymestrerone, and stonazolol.... [tags: Athletes, Side Effects, Experiments]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- There are many types of steroids abused by athletes in order to increase their muscle mass and strength. Though steroids have a negative reputation, there are some that can be beneficial to athletes and certain patients. There are types of steroids called corticosteroids that have more medical uses to them and another type called anabolic-androgenic steroids that have a more limited medical use. The anabolic-androgenic are usually the steroids that are being abused by athletes (Bigelow, par.10).... [tags: Athletes and Anabolic Steroids]
2477 words (7.1 pages)
- "Anything of worth or value in life must be worked for." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson In the world of sports today, anabolic/androgenic steroid use is a vast problem. Since its’ introduction into Russian weightlifting, it has been expanding with no signs of stopping. It has spread into every major sport, with usage by every age and race. The use continues to grow, even with a lengthy list of serious health, legal, and ethical concerns. Because of our society's adoration of muscle, athletes put their athletic goals higher on their priority list than their long-term health.... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use In Sports]
2342 words (6.7 pages)
- Growing up, I looked up to guys like Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds. They were some of the best players to ever play the game. In the recent years, it was revealed that these players were taking anabolic steroids throughout their career. I always thought with hard work and dedication, I could be just like them, but that was not possible because they were all cheating to get an edge. Anabolic steroids were added to the list of Class III Substances in the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990.... [tags: Legalize anabolic steroids, 2015]
1921 words (5.5 pages)
- Ever since their introduction into sports in the later 1950's the use of anabolic steroids has been a controversial issue. Much debate has arisen dealing with whether steroids should be allowed for performance enhancement. If you're not familiar with them, The 1994 Merrian-Webster Dictionary defines an anabolic steroid as, "any of a group of synthetic hormones sometimes taken by athletes in training to increase temporarily the size of their muscles." However, it's not just the athletes preparing for rigorous competition that have been using these drugs. Business Weekly told of a study performed by the University of Illinois School of Public Health in which the results wer... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use by Athletes]
772 words (2.2 pages)
- The Safety of Using Anabolic Steroids Even if you didn't have any or little knowledge of steroids and were asked this question, you would probably answer no. Why. Would it be because a high school kid somewhere in California died from taking them. Or would it be because you read it in Readers Digest. Many people think you are selling your soul to the devil when you take steroids. There is an incredible amount of myths, misinformation, and misconceptions about anabolic steroid use and their dangers.... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Essays]
1530 words (4.4 pages)
- Canadian track star Ben Johnson was denied his gold medal in the 1988 Olympics after he tested positive for anabolic steroids. This incident sparked worldwide attention to the extent of anabolic steroid use. To date, the International Olympic Committee has barred the use of seventeen anabolic steroids. Other organizations, including The National Football League, National Collegiate Athletic Association's International Amateur Athletic Federation, and the International Federation of Body Builders have followed suit.... [tags: Anabolic Steroids Use by Athletes]
1891 words (5.4 pages)