Also, results showed there are no significant interaction between gender and music on math. A possible explanation to this finding is some of the participants reported their habitual routine of listening to music while completing school related tasks. Other participants reported the tasks were difficult to complete because they are not use to completing a task with background music. Studies show that it is not the gender that is an important factor, but it is the individual, and the nature of the distraction. In a study of work performed, the psychologist noted that some personality types may be more susceptible to the mood enhancing effects of music than others; this could cause an increase or decrease in their performance (Dobbs et al., 2011).
Based on the study, there is no effect of gender on math problems. The results could be affected by the simplicity of the math pr...
... middle of paper ...
... fairly high on this task. What should have happened, according to studies, being engaged in another task and listening to music may influence working-memory capacity (Fraser, 2014). Based on the findings from the study there was no interaction between music and gender and no effect of music on the recall task. This could be due to the pattern of reading comprehension, recall and math during the task, although we had counterbalancing, after the second round of problems, participants already knew the pattern and components to follow each question. Studies support this evidence; there has been evidence to suggest that there is an interaction between task difficulty and music with performance being the best in low demand condition. The more simplistic the task is, the less effect it will have on individual’s ability to recall the information (Eals & Sliverman, 1994).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Music's Effect on Intelligence Music is said to affect the intellect of humans in several different ways. Specifically, it is said to affect infants more than any other age group. Music can improve learning skills, test taking skills, concentration, heartbeat, and relaxation. Music has been proven to offer several benefits for infants, young children, young adults, as well as for adults. With all of this in mind, how can one connect music with intellect. Many recent research studies focus on theoretically proving the way in which music improves cognitive thinking.... [tags: Music Musical Intellect Smart Essays]
1188 words (3.4 pages)
- “La, la, la,” whether it is through a rock concert, church, or being forced to sing “Happy Birthday,” to a loved one, music is everywhere. But, what is it about music that makes one tap their shoes. Why do people hum their favorite tunes. Especially in the modern age of music when the most popular music makes many people quench. However, music in general, no matter the genre is applicable throughout every aspect of life, whether it be through child development, consumer science, or the effect it has on emotions.... [tags: Arts, Music, Culture]
1984 words (5.7 pages)
- The Correlation Between Music and Math: A Neurobiology Perspective I remember the first time I heard the statement ¡° Did you know that listening to classical music enhances your mathematical abilities?¡± I was both intrigued and excited, intrigued because I did not understand how music and math, two seemingly unrelated subject could possibly affect each other. I was also excited because I began to view classical music as some kind of magical potion that would transform my math skills from decent to extraordinary.... [tags: Biology Essays Research Papers]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Bock (2010) examined the connection between sensorimotor adaptation and serene music was tested. Bock preformed a quantitative study, which included 36 participants. He attempted to evaluate “whether this so called Mozart Effect extends beyond cognitive tasks and included sensorimotor adaptations” (Bock, 2010, p. 737). Bock tested this through a mood self-assessment before music was played, before beginning the adaptation task on a tablet, and after the twelve rounds of adaptation tasks were completed.... [tags: environmental noise, stimulation]
2770 words (7.9 pages)
- Most of the public does not know what happens behind the scenes before a band performance. When you think of band, you’d think of a conductor, and kids blowing, or hitting instruments for sounds. Some people think band is a “great program.” Others may think band is for “loser or geeks.” Band membership requires commitment, knowledge, and patience; with a lot more of an adventure in store. Being able to play music is a talent. I say this because a person has to learn notes, vocabulary, and rhythms.... [tags: Music, Musical instrument, Orchestra, The Band]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- The Mozart Effect It was proved in 1993 that students had a better score on their spatial IQ test after listening to Mozart´s Piano Sonata k 448. They scored up to nine points higher than the students taking the test using other methods. Mozart has a greater influence on the brain development compared to other composers such as better results when studying, memorizing easily, and better test scores. The University of California made a research trying different methods in students while taking their IQ test.... [tags: music, IQ]
975 words (2.8 pages)
Research Proposal: The Effect of Extra-Curricular Activities on Academic Performance: A Quantitative Study
- Introduction Do extra-curricular activities have a positive or negative effect on a student’s academic performance. If they do, then why do schools take activities away from students at the first sign of academic troubles. If they are scientifically proven to be positive, then why are they not curricular rather than extra curricular. There are numerous influences that impact the academic performance of a student other than after school activities. However, this study will focus on the effect of extra curricular activities on academic performances.... [tags: extracurricular]
2607 words (7.4 pages)
- “Experts have also found a correlation between students with experience in music performance and music appreciation and higher scores on standardized tests, including the SAT” (Parker). Although art has been used as a major tool in improving education in past decades, much of society today fails to recognize the effect of budget cuts on art programs and realize that they have indeed hurt the academic performances of some American schools consequently. Furthermore, art has inspired the imagination of people since the beginning of time and has also allowed people to express their feelings and look at issues from a different point of view.... [tags: Music Performance, Music Appreciation]
1787 words (5.1 pages)
- Do you sing at the top of our lungs daily in your car on the way to school, in the shower, or while cleaning your house. Music is a way of life. It is a worldwide language that we can all share in and enjoy. Music is my passion. I’ve been actively involved in choirs, musicals, private lessons, and other musical performances for almost all my life. I don’t think most people realize how important music is to education, work skills, and communication. The fundamentals of learning are instilled into a child at a very young age.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Music Education: A Source For Brain Power In today’s society, people are constantly looking for new ways to have students produce more from their public education. Some argue that more funding is the answer, while others say that better learning facilities will help. Studies recently conducted show that a simple change in the curriculum will produce the outcome that people are searching for. The simple change is music education. Music education has been shown to improve general academic skills as well as social skills in children.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1664 words (4.8 pages)
- The Race At The County Race And Equity Report, African American Students
- My Observation For My Sophomore
- Influence And Correlation Of The Growth Factor Bone Morphogenetic Protein On Lung Cancer Cells
- The End Of World War I
- I Am A Big Family Is The Most Special Time Of One 's Life
- The Packed Recital Hall By Johann Sebastian Bach