I have always been curious if do it yourself, homemade cleaners actually reduced bacteria as well as store bought, name brand cleaners. I know that cleaning your house with household products saved you money but never knew if they worked as well. I have made some cleaners in the past using basic ingredients and noticed that Items may appear to be clean on the surface when I am done. I was most concerned whether or not germs were being killed during the process. I would love to be able to clean with more natural ingredients vs. harsh chemicals that most name brand chemicals contain.
My hypothesis is that the store bought name brand cleaners will disinfect better than the home made cleaners.
Before I started this experiment I did an internet search for recipes for household cleaners that other people recommended. I found four different recipes to clean four different areas of my house: toilet bowl, kitchen counter, dishes, and the tile floor. Almost every recipe contained white vinegar. White vinegar is a mild acid, which is supposed to disinfect, eliminate odors, and safe for humans. Baking soda was also a popular ingredient. Baking soda acts as a cleaning agent because it is a mild alkali and can help dissolve grease and dirt easily when mixed with water. It is also abrasive enough for tough to clean items, but still gentle enough for glass and plastic. Another benefit of using baking soda is its ability to deodorize areas instead of covering it up with chemical perfumes.
Materials and methods:
Before starting the experiment, I purchased a bacteria science kit that included petri dishes with agar already poured in them. The kit also included sterile ...
... middle of paper ...
...e homemade cleaner as well it didn’t seem to have much more bacteria on the dish than the store brand.
I didn’t seem to run into too many difficulties during this experiment. However I would like to do another test on a dirty dish and use the dish soap again (homemade and Dawn). After finishing this experiment and noticing that there wasn’t a difference between the two cleaners I am curious if water temperature had anything to do with the results of this experiment. I could use a thermometer to ensure the water temperature is the same while I test both areas, and use cooler water so it isn’t just the hot water that is killing germs and not the cleaning products.
Literature cited: Cite all the scientific references that you used to present your project.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... It is also used in various household cleaners. High amounts of ingested ammonium could be sickening or lethal. (SITE THE AMMONIUM SORCE HERE) An alternate preservative commonly used in breads is called Azodicarbonamide. Azodicarbonamide actually can “heighten an allergic reaction to food.” It is also said to be a cause of asthma according to scientists in the UK. The objective of this experiment is to measure how natural preservatives (such as sugar, salt and raisins) effect the molding time of homemade bread by using exes amounts of said preservative.... [tags: overly salted bread, ammonium]
531 words (1.5 pages)
- ... The last cake I made for my son took 22 hours to decorate and cost 20 dollars to make (would have cost close to 100 at a store). From forming Mario and Yoshi out of rice crispy treats; to painting the figures with frosting, which was no easy task. Frosting tends to dry quickly so water must be added frequently to avoid this. When there is a date a cake is due by; keep the amount of time needed in mind, before tackling large decorating tasks. Another thing to keep in mind when deciding to make or buy a cake is the price.... [tags: time, price, taste, texture, decorating]
696 words (2 pages)
- Although Resolve High Traffic Foam and Woolite Heavy Traffic Foam both claim to be the best carpet cleaner, there is quite a difference in the performance and health risks with each product. As a mother and pet owner, I had to find an effective and affordable carpet cleaner and needed to do so quickly. I went through many different cleaners claiming to be “The Best” when in fact, they were not. Not only does this become quite expensive, but also frustrating after trying the product only to find out it is not “The Best” carpet cleaner.... [tags: Carpet Cleaners, advertisements,]
822 words (2.3 pages)
- The numbers from the above table correspond to the working notes below. Working notes: 1) As the production manager sees no alternative use for the paper, this means that it would not be replaced; as a result scraping the earnings made from stock - £5000. 2) The full cost of the ink bought must be charged to the cost of the leaflets, due to the surplus ink being inaccessible - in terms of not being able to be sold or used. 3) The staff (direct) are presently employed, which means the cost of their wages are reclaimed from the consumer.... [tags: Costs, Cost, Variable cost, Economics]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- In recent times, there have been far too many recalls regarding store bought dog food. People do not realize what they are actually feeding their beloved pet. Unhealthy store bought dog food, and the negative effects they bring about, can result in owners switching over to homemade dog food. Most people want what is the best for their cuddly best friend. There are many reasons why homemade dog food is a better choice than store bought, such as homemade dog food being healthier, it has a multitude of differing tastes, one has the ability to monitor exactly what their pet consumes, and it's also financially cheaper, which most anyone can get behind.... [tags: pets, nutrition, ingredients]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- To have fresh homemade chicken noodle soup the cook time is estimated to be an hour and forty-five minutes. When organizing the process of cooking chicken noodle soup, there are three phases, steaming, preparing vegetables, and wrapping up. Out of the hour and forty-five minutes of cook time, only forty-five minutes is preparation. Making fresh delicious homemade chicken noodle soup is not as complicated as one may think. When the process is well planned the cooking experience should be a smooth ride.... [tags: recipes, making your own meal]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- Vacuum Cleaners More than just a machine that scares the dog. "Housework as we know it is not something ordained by the limits of the human immune system. It was invented, in fact, around the turn of the century, for the precise purpose of giving middle-class women something to do" (Ehrenreich). In her article, Housework is obsolescent, journalist Barbara Ehrenreich exposes the secret revolution in housework; American women just do not do housework anymore. While many authors agree that as more and more women have entered the work force the amount of time for housework has diminished, many others argue that the majority of women are still caving in and cleaning up.... [tags: Housework Cleaning Papers]
2418 words (6.9 pages)
- Conflict in All's Well That Ends Well One of the themes that emerges from Shakespeare's comedy All's Well That Ends Well is the conflict between old and new, age and youth, wisdom and folly, reason and passion. As one critic points out, a simple glance at the characters of the play reveals an almost equally balanced cast of old and young. "In performance it is apparent that the youth of the leading characters, Helena, Bertram, Diana and Parolles, is in each case precisely balanced by the greater age of their counterparts, the Countess, the King of France, the Widow of Florence and the old counselor Lafeu."1 Indeed, the dialectic between youth and age is established in the first act... [tags: All's Well That Ends Well Essays]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- The Character of Helena in All's Well that Ends Well Helena There is an underlying ambiguity in Helena 's character. Spreading the illustration over the four most disputed moments in All's Well, the virginity repartee, the miraculous cure of the King, the accomplishment of conditions and the bed - trick, one can detect the 'different shades' of in her character - honourable, passionate, discreet, audacious, romantic, rational, tenacious, forgiving ... She can be sampled out to be basically an idiosyncratic person with her good and bad, positioned within the 'clever wench' tradition and the 'fulfilling of tasks' folk tales ( W.... [tags: All's Well That Ends Well Essays]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- Do you consider yourself to be a good cook. Or are you the type of person who finds cooking to be difficult. If not or even so, there is a quick and easy way to satisfy your own as well as your guest’s appetites. It involves making pizza from scratch- with the exception of using store bought or already prepared French bread. Many may be already wondering: why choose fresh pizza over frozen or restaurant pizzas. First of all it’s cheaper, second it’s healthier, third you know what’s on it, fourth it’s quicker compared to restaurants, but most importantly you can create them accordingly to your own preferences.There are only a few basic steps in making a pizza, but first of all it is importan... [tags: Homemade cooking]
546 words (1.6 pages)