Computers perform the input, storage, processing, and output functions of the information system. In addition, computers and their devices need ways to communicate with one another. These devices are usually connected by electronic cables when located near each other. The factors that determine the reliability of an information system are the accuracy of data input, the convenience and quality of output, optimal use of storage devices, and the speed of a computer.
Accuracy of data input is important, and computers ensure that the results are correct by not making mistakes that people do. There are many types of input devices and deciding which one to use could save time and improve accuracy. Optical scanning, for example, is best used for printing questionnaires and retail tags. Optical scanning input devices include optical character recognition (OCR), which recognize certain printed characters. The OCR is an optimum way to read printed questionnaires because the optical character recognition senses marks made on forms. Relative to this, bar-code scanning is one of the most common optical scanning input devices. This device recognizes a bar code, which is the series of bars of different widths found on retail tags in stores. Another optimal scanner used is simply called a scanner; this device uses light to sense an image on paper. Any type of image can be scanned and businesses use scanners to transfer long documents and images into a computer. They can then be changed, stored, or used in screen or printed output. In addition to using a scanner, magnetic scanning is another type of scanning input device that recognizes magnetic patterns. An example of magnetic scanning is magnetic ink character recognition...
... middle of paper ...
... primary storage at one time. The speed at which a computer can transfer data is measured in fractions of a second. CPUs are synchronized to run at the speed of an internal clock. With each tick of the clock, the CPU performs one step in executing an instruction. If the clock ticks more rapidly , then the CPU will run more rapidly. Clock speed is measured in megahertz or gigahertz. One megahertz is one million ticks per second and one gigahertz is one billion ticks per second.
In conclusion, computers perform the input, storage, processing, and output functions of the information system. In addition, computers and their devices need ways to communicate with one another. The factors that determine the reliability of an information system are the accuracy of data input, the convenience and quality of output, optimal use of storage devices, and the speed of a computer.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction I do not know much what an input device is even I have been using computer for many years. I thought that an input device is just a component inside the computer. I also did not know the role of input device play. I am among those people who do not care much about the component inside the computer. Now as I reflect, seems like I have ignored the importance of an input device. What is input. Input is really important for the computer. Through this device, users are allows to enter data or instructions into a computer.... [tags: components, keyboard, mouse, printers]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- 1.0 INTRODUCTION Science and technology constantly evolving and changing. The latest released product will surpassed the earliest. The earliest will only become a history. Therefore, computer scientist are striving to develop and finding the newest and ideal to fulfill the need of users. This assignment aimed to identify the computer components, its function, its importance as well as the latest and the future technologies of the pointing devices, central processing unit (CPU), memory, disk controller, disk, and monitor.... [tags: function, memory, disk, monitor, controller]
2422 words (6.9 pages)
- ‘’ I think it’s fair to say that personal computers have become the most empowering tool we’ve ever created. They are tools of communication, they’re tools of creativity and they can be shaped by the users.” As the richest man in the world and acting as the inventor of Microsoft that contributes as the most important element in computer , Bill Gates has admitted that computer is acting as the most influenced technology in human’s life. For decades, the world has discovered a lot of technologies anywhere in the globe, the Western, Egyptian, European, and also the Asian.... [tags: tools, communication, users]
1387 words (4 pages)
- Input Devices An input device is a device that provide the computer input, for example a keyboard, without the keyboard you would not be able to type words or use the different shortcuts a keyboard provides and without a mouse you would not be able to click on anything to get you anywhere, so a computer without input devices would be mostly useless. There are many input devices to use, there is, microphones, scanners, webcams, etc. all these devices send information to the computer, categorizing them as input devices.... [tags: keyboard, mouse, smartboard]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- ... It is clear to us how wonderful and important these devices are. The way they can keep us connected with people on the other side of the world or even those we have never met is something no other tool in this world can do. It is as if we enter a big, new world through a small door. That is a lot of power inside a little machine, and we feel good about it. These days, we need this power for it changed our lives and it continues to do so. Now that we have grown so used to these devices, life seems harder without them.... [tags: phones, computers, tablets, laptops]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction In this high-technology generation, information technology (IT) had become very important for every human being in this world. As information technology and information systems is very important to business too, so we have to learn IT. But, to become IT genius, we have to know how to access IT with the help of computer. After this lecture, I learn that computer is not that simple as I thought. I also learn different types of computer’s component which very important to access computer.... [tags: electronic device technology]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- ... Each of hardware devices has its own function. First, input device "giving data input to the system" in which include keyboard, touch screen, pens, electronic mice, and optical scanner. Second, output devices consist of video display unit, printers, and audio response unit, monitor, plotter, CD or CD/DVD “burner”, slide or overhead projector, and speakers. by these devices user can easily can record and communicate data into the computer. Third, central processing unit (CPU) it is the main component of the computer hardware and it divided into two parts such as the arithmetic logic unit and control unit.... [tags: computer, devices, central processing unit]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- Introduction The world is getting smarter and better and so are the devices. With the improved technology, we can check our mails on our watch; control our home temperature through our smartphone and more. The term Internet of Technology is referred to any object or device which connects to the Internet to automatically send and/or receive data . The following are some IoT devices :- Security systems, such as security alarms, CCTV cameras or video monitors. Automated devices which remotely or automatically adjust lighting or air conditioning Thermostats Wearables, such as fitness devices Lighting modules which activate or deactivate lights Smart appliances, such as smart... [tags: IP address, Internet, Computer security]
1047 words (3 pages)
- Organizations can boost efficiency and increase profits by understanding their technology structure, by understanding the advantages technology can have within the organization, and by developing a plan to stay abreast with technology. Considering the subject matter to be discussed, it is appropriate to begin with a definition of technology. According to Scott Klososky, technology refers to "all software applications and all computing devices, including PCs, mobile devices, servers, networking gear, and anything having to do with the Internet - basically anything that can be used to get work done in an office environment" (Velocity Manifesto 10).... [tags: software applications, computer devices]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- ... What if this information, stored as it is, is no longer readable. How will future historians read records about our present civilization like we have read from past civilizations. What if a digital dark age falls upon us just like the Middle Ages, but only this time it is a lack of digital records. We have invented devices and ways to store information, but we have overlooked a vital point: we have not thought of practical methods to preserve this information, to keep this information easily accessible, to prevent it from disappearing off the face of Earth.... [tags: records, computer devices]
772 words (2.2 pages)