What is computer? According to Wikipedia, computer is a device that can be programmed to do a set of arithmetic or logical operations automatically. It is started with the basic device to perform a mathematic problem which is known as Abacus. Computer has been developing year by year and we have seen a lot of generation or development of computer nowadays. The first generation of computer starting from years 1940-1950, this can be called as the first electronic computer. During this time, the computers were using vacuum tubes and it is more complex and huge. The vacuum tube is designed by Lee De Forest. The vacuum tube is a device that is used to amplify the signal by controlling the movement of electrons in an evacuated space. The first general purpose electronic computer was known as ENIAC or Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer. The first computer was ENIAC machine by John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert at the University of Pennsylvania. This ENIAC used 10 decimal digits instead of one binary like the other computer. This ENIAC used more than 2000 vacuum tubes and took up about 167 m square of space. ENIAC is generally known as the first high speed electronic digital computer and were productively used during the era.
The second generation of computer starting from 1950-1960 thanks to person who inverted a transistor William Shockley, John Bardeen, and Walter Brattain of Bell Labs. In 1950 two devices were invented in order to improve the development of computer in this era. The first of this two was transistor. The transistor was invented to overcome the vacuum tube in computers. The transistor consume less power and less heat produced and consume less space compared with computer using vacu...
... middle of paper ...
... Odyssey. HAL performed the entire real life fifth generation computer. Many advances in the science of computer design and technology are coming together to enable the creation of fifth-generation computers. Two such engineering advances are parallel processing, which replaces von Neumann's single central processing unit design with a system harnessing the power of many CPUs to work as one. Another advance is superconductor technology, which allows the flow of electricity with little or no resistance, greatly improving the speed of information flow. Computers today have some attributes of fifth generation computers. For example, expert systems assist doctors in making diagnoses by applying the problem-solving steps a doctor might use in assessing a patient's needs. It will take several more years of development before expert systems are in widespread use.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The main problem was that transistors, like other electronic components, needed to be soldered together. As a result, the more complex the circuits became, the more complicated and numerous the connections between the individual transistors and the likelihood of faulty wiring increased. The first large-scale machines to take advantage of this transistor technology were early supercomputers, Stretch by IBM and LARC by Sperry-Rand. This computer can handle a large amount of data and more complex.... [tags: logical operations, vacuum tubes]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- ... In the other hand, another perspective would be how user friendly were the computers over a period of time. In the 1950s the computers were almost impossible to use except by very patient geniuses. Next in the 1960s and 1970s, it could only be programmable by highly trained people. Lastly, from the 1980s till present time the computers are now smaller cheaper and useable by just about anyone. From the hardware development perspective, the first generation of computer was the Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer (ENIAC).... [tags: apple, microsoft, toshiba, dell]
1704 words (4.9 pages)
- ... It takes the period of (1956-1963) by successfully accomplished by the year 1948, so the invention of the transistor had played a main role in the second generation of computers and it had reduces a lot f energy and become more stable computer. At this period of era transistor was substitute by the large, vacuum tube in televisions, radios and computers. After this successful invention the size of energy consumed by the computer has been reduced and minimized ever since in the history. The transistor was become stable and replaced in the production of the computer industry by the year 1956.... [tags: eniac, printers, disk]
1489 words (4.3 pages)
- On the Development of Quantum Computers and Cryptography In 2010, the United States government, after accessing encrypted files by means of physical intervention, exposed ten Russian sleeper agents; in 2013, the United States government, without any means of physical intervention, surreptitiously collected and promptly decrypted many previously encrypted (Wood). Within this decade, concerns regarding the dubious security of contemporary cryptography will begin to emerge as the secrets of quantum computing quickly unravel.... [tags: computer power]
1392 words (4 pages)
- The Development of Personal Computers The history of the computer goes back hundreds of years. From the abacus through the modern era the evolution of computers has involved many innovative individuals. It was out of this desire to innovate many fascinating tabulating machines developed. The modern computer, therefore, evolved from an amalgamation of the genius of many individuals over a long period of history. Many people shaped the world by making the efforts to develop technology. An early counting machine (and relative of the computer) can be traced back to 3000 BC.... [tags: Computers Technology Software Essays]
2482 words (7.1 pages)
- Computers in Drug Research and Development As the computer becomes more and more powerful, its uses and abilities grow. Scientists have been able to harness this power in to assist them in their goals of researching and developing drugs for human use. Computers can be found in nearly every drug research laboratory and development center in the world. In the process of developing a drug, thousands upon thousands of chemical compounds are tested to be used in laboratory tests and animal tests. Generally, over 5000 compounds are chosen for such testing.... [tags: Essays Papers]
467 words (1.3 pages)
- Over the last years, technology has been changed rapidly. It has influenced on people’s social life, business, and education, interact, communicate, work, and play. Thousands of devices have been developed recently that have influenced people’s activities and made their lives easier. Smart phones, tablets, cameras, and scanners are now acting as separate computer devices. An article published by Sandhyarani N. (2011) stated that "The present global age is the consequence of the computer age"(p.1).... [tags: information technology development]
1897 words (5.4 pages)
- ... The UNIVAC was the first commercial computer created and sold to a client that is, the U.S. Census Bureau in 1951. Then came the second generation (1956-1963) of computer that was the Transistors. Transistors replaced the vacuum tubes of the 1st generation computing device and ushered to the second generation of computer device. The transistor was invented in 1947.But unfortunately they did not see widespread use in computers only until the late 1950s.The transistor was far more superior than the 1st generation vacuum tube, and allowing computers to become even more cheaper, faster, smaller, greater energy-efficient and more reliable than their first-generation predecessors.... [tags: generation of computers, powerful, cheaper]
609 words (1.7 pages)
- Information technology (IT) involves the application of computers and other telecommunication devices to store transmit and manipulate data into meaningful information. The sector is known to deeply depend on computers to perform all its roles. In business, the term IT refers to usage of computer based information systems. It involves software development and its installation in planning and management of organizations technology. The software and hardware are frequently maintained and upgraded to cope with the rising technological advancements, which are more reliable and efficient (Atlantic 34).... [tags: Information Technology, Computers]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Development of a New Computer System The development of a new computer system starts with the analysis of a particular business problem that IT can solve and ends up with the newly developed computer system being tested and put into place. First you need people to investigate and analyse the business problem - it could be setting up a booking system for a chain of hotels, or a new payroll system for a large company, for example and then design a system which can handle the task. This stage of the process is called systems analysis and design.... [tags: Computers Technology Software Essays]
1525 words (4.4 pages)