Teens oftentimes gain dignity and confidence when their physical faults are corrected, but dissatisfaction is shown to decrease the older one gets. Analysis directed toward boys and girls ages 11-18 found that body image satisfaction was higher at age 18 for both boys and girls. Participants were most discontented with reflected the culturally determined stereotypes accentuated throughout the nation, nevertheless, worldwide. Dr. Zuckerman shares that statistics show an increase in all kinds of plastic surgery among children and teens under 18. Though exiguous otorhinolaryngological, (nose and ears), surgeries are not dramatic, procedures on breast implants and liposuction are. The dangers of breast implants are exceedingly high; breakage & leakage, metal poisoning (silicone implants), debilitating autoimmune disease, memory loss, silicone migration into lymph nodes and other organs, poor concentration, death, arthritis & joint pain, and capsular contracture. (Chilkov, 1). Breast augmentation is no longer a risk, it has been considered a threat to teens’ lives.
“In 2012, more than 236,000 cosmetic procedures were performed on patients betweens 13 and 19, including more than 75,000 surgical procedures such as nose reshaping, breast lifts, breast augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tucks.” (Zuckerman, 1). Seldom examinations have been conducted to appr...
... middle of paper ...
...arts indicate that the average young woman gains weight between the ages of 18 and 21, and that is ostensible to change her rapaciousness or need for breast augmentation and liposuction.” (Zuckerman, 5). Long-term study has demonstrated that the human brain has not fully developed before the coming of mid 20s to early 30s. The decision-making quantum of the brain has exhibited to maturate as far as the age of 25, therefore a teenage girl/boy should, by no means, be having any specimen of surgical procedure to enlarge breasts, remove excess fat, or customize their body before it has even executed adequate growth. Otolaryngologists and cosmetic surgeons do not even take into consideration what kind of harm they have been/are putting on adolescents’ bodies, but neither do themselves. Age restrictions for cosmetic procedures are a crucial element to modern teens’ safety.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Violence in Literature Have you ever wondered if literature has an effect on people that read it. Well I believe it does, and violence in literature has a negative effect on the people who allow themselves to be susceptible to it. People who read violent literature, or see violent media are more likely to break laws and commit horrible deeds and may even go so far as murdering someone. There has been so much violence in this world already, which is why I don’t understand why authors of books, tv shows and movies continue to write graphic, aggressive events that seem realistic.... [tags: Violence, Aggression]
1345 words (3.8 pages)
- As human beings, we endure each and every day, a constant fight for freedom. Liberty is described as ‘’the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint’’ (Dictionary.com). Relevant examples are found throughout history of the restraints of rights and the ever constant search for true freedom. Perhaps the most atrocious removal can be seen in the Second World War; Legal and fundamental rights were taken away at this time without thought or conscience. Other examples include the segregation of the blacks and white in South Africa during the Apartheid Era, the Vietnam War, and more recently the War on Terrorism (Al-Qaeda).... [tags: Society, Freedom, Media, History]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- The more things change, the more they tend to remain the same. Years can pass and many things may appear different, yet most things remain as they were centuries ago, although they may be slightly altered. The Barcelona chair has showed face for the past eight decades, never changed and hardly reformed, the common Barcelona trend makes a 21st century come back. A trend, an easy entity to follow, todays trends however have had a de-ja-vu effect on today’s society. Many fashion and design trends have been seen and done before.... [tags: trend forecaster, music, film, literature]
1325 words (3.8 pages)
- In our modern societies we are surrounded by a lot of social phenomena that are not specified for one person but for the whole society. Some of these phenomena carry a lot of dangers problems that threaten the society and the individuals. People are not aware about these social changes that are happening in our world and how are they affected us, however, sociologists do. Emile Durkheim one of the important sociologists, introduced the term anomie in 1897 . Anomie means a condition in which society provides little moral guidance to individuals.... [tags: society, morals, norms]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- Though it is well-known that rape is an awful experience for someone, people’s thoughts regarding the actual effects and negative results it produces do not go beyond this broad assumption of rape being a horrible action. Margaret Atwood recognizes this and takes a different approach on informing society about specific effects rape can have on an individual. Through her short story “Stone Mattress,” Atwood covers these topics in a subtle manner where the information better relates to the reader whereas bombarding them with it.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, Short story, Science fiction]
1788 words (5.1 pages)
- Introduction This report is going to investigate the environmental trend in terms of where it originated from and its future. This information will also be put into the context of the beauty, travel and fashion industry. Based on the findings throughout this investigation a suitable brand will be chosen and a 3 year strategy will be created in terms of how they can use this environmental trend. Environmental trend (420 words) The environmental trend has been around for over a hundred years, recently becoming hugely popular with brands as a way to give back to the environment.... [tags: generation X, future thinking]
3325 words (9.5 pages)
- The Salem Witch Trials were a horrible event in the history of the United States of America. The Salem Witch Trials happened in colonial Massachusetts between 1692 and 1693. During this event over 200 people were accused of being witches and the ones found guilty or would not confess were executed 20 people ended up being executed. The court finally admitted the trials were a mistake and compensated the families of those convicted (Blumberg). Before the witch trials Salem had a colorful history.... [tags: Salem witch trials, Witchcraft, The Crucible]
2143 words (6.1 pages)
- Obesity in Adolescent America Obesity is, easily, one of America 's fastest growing health concerns (Albury, C. 2015). On any given day of the year, nearly one out of every four Americans eats at a fast food restaurant and McDonalds contributes to that by serving more than 43 percent of the fast food eaten daily in the US and serving more than 430 million people a day, worldwide (Spurlock, 2004). So what exactly is obesity. Obesity is a condition that is associated with having excess of body fat, defined by genetic and environmental factors that are difficult to control when dieting (Understanding obesity, 2012.).... [tags: Obesity, Hypertension, Nutrition]
1306 words (3.7 pages)
A Brief Note On Kurt Klein, And Families Endured Horrible Things Under Nazi Rule And Throughout World War II
- Gerda Weissmann, Kurt Klein, and families endured horrible things under Nazi rule and throughout World War II; such as: famine, work labor, and a great deal of loss. Gerda’s memoir All But My Life and Kurt’s appearance in America and the Holocaust explain the hardships of their young lives and German Jews. One was able to escape, one was not; one lost everything, the other living with a brother and sister in a new and safe place. The couples’ stories are individually unique, and each deal with different levels of tragedy and loss.... [tags: World War II, Nazi Germany, Jews, Germany]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Music throughout Society We've been talking a lot about social rituals. Well, just what exactly is a social ritual. Social rituals are, basically, traditions or customs that a society has followed for many years. For example, in America, most people follow the custom of dating. In Israel, they tend to follow the tradition of arranged marriages. Yet, in some countries, they use courtship. Even though all three of these approaches to finding a mate are different, they all are very similar because they are all Social Mating Rituals.... [tags: Papers]
956 words (2.7 pages)