Communication is an important part of life. People need to have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively. There are three main causes why people have negative communication in today’s society. Communication can be difficult, but you will find out how you can improve your communication skills.
Some may ask what is negative communication? Martin Johnson expresses his ideas on what negative communication means in his article called The Effects of Positive and Negative Communication. Johnson says, “When we receive negative communication from others, our brain releases a chemical called cortisol. This chemical is released when we experience uncomfortable situations or feel under threat” (Johnson, para. 5). That chemical purpose is to alert us when we are in a situation and we need to remove ourselves from it. We become stressed and fearful when are put into a situation that we don’t like. Johnson also says, “In order to communicate effectively, we must be conscious of the tone that we use, the body language which we display and the facial expressions we project” ( Johnson, para. 6). Still today, some people still have a difficult time with communication. Most of us can’t always have a positive communication all the time because we think we are right all the time. Some of us need to have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
Preben Orman listed three main causes that can create a negative communication. Orman says, “ We fail to express their feelings, we ignore the other person’s feelings and our attitude is not respectful” (Hooker Hilton and Other Stories, para. ). Expressing our feelings can be a challenge for some people. I have a difficult time expressing exactly what I’m feeling. I...
... middle of paper ...
...kely to feel hurt and angry. In some cases, a person whose feelings have been invalidated might shut down from you emotionally, so that her/his feelings will not be hurt again” (paragraph 47). Having an aggressive attitude all the time will not make you or the other person feel better. We need to be considerate of other people feelings. I’m going to try to fix my horrible attitude. I can’t be mean all the time.
In conclusion, some people can’t always have a positive communication all the time because we think we are right all the time. Some of us need to have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively. Negative communication can occur when you can’t express your feelings, ignoring other people 's feelings and our attitude is disrespectful. Fixing our communication with people can be difficult, but it can help you have a better relationship with other people.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Communication is a part of everyone’s life. All individuals need to communicate to share their knowledge and information with others; however, the degree of its effectiveness depends upon your personal communication skills. The better your communication skills are, the better a person understands you. The purposes of communication could be many, but the most important part is to understand how to communicate effectively. Communication is a two way process and therefore requires complete understanding among the communicators.... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication]
703 words (2 pages)
- Introduction: It is accurate to say that communication is a vital part of everyday life. As we have discussed many times in class, communication is in absolutely everything we do. The amount of communication that takes place from day-in to day-out is often unnoticed. I for one have never thought about the importance of communication, but after working through the process needed for this assignment, it has been made clear to me that communication isn’t just dialogue between me and the people I know.... [tags: Employment, Communication, Insurance]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- Writing is an important part of everyone’s life, whether we use it in school, in the workplace, as a hobby or in personal communication. It is important to have this skill because it helps us as writers to express feelings and thoughts to other people in a reasonably permanent form. Formal writing forms like essays, research papers, and articles stimulates critically thinking. This helps the writer to learn how to interpret the world around him/her in a meaningful way. In college, professors motivate students to write in a formal, coherent manner, without losing their own voice in the process.... [tags: Writing, Writing process, Learning, Education]
1159 words (3.3 pages)
- Introduction: Computer mediated communication is an important aspect of our life that we use on a daily basis. You ask, what is computer mediated communication. Computer mediated communication is a form of communication that is done by an individual or individuals, with the use of an electronic device of some sort (smartphone or computer). The way we use this form of communication is through Facebook, Twitter, email, texting, and video chatting. We use our computers and phones to stay in touch with people, but computer mediated communication has drastically changed the way we communicate and connect with people.... [tags: Nonverbal communication, Communication, Leet]
1059 words (3 pages)
- The Most Important Form of Communication; Nonverbal Communication Communication is an ongoing process that people use in every day life. However, the most frequently used forms of communication is also one of the easiest to forget, nonverbal communication. It is necessary to look at each part of nonverbal communication to fully understand its significance. Complex and always present, nonverbal communication is a powerful asset to anyone’s interpersonal communication skills. So powerful that nonverbal communication is the most important form of communication.... [tags: Nonverbal communication, Communication]
1805 words (5.2 pages)
- Through this process I have found how important it is to be able to communicate efficiently in the workplace. Communication is defined as a "two-way process of reaching mutual understanding, in which participants not only exchange (encode-decode) information, news, ideas and feelings but also create and share meaning. In general, communication is a means of connecting people or places (Business Dictopnary.com, n.d.)." Communication is the most important factor in any place of business. A company cannot be successful without a means of communication with one another.... [tags: Communication, Writing, Nonviolent Communication]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- The Topic Communication skills and interactions are very important for every part of life. The way that people communicate can affect how well they do in school, in their careers and in their interactions with friends and family members. Some of the most important communication skills for success in our lives occurs without the use of words, and instead takes the form of an action. This can be the way in which someone stands, what their posture looks like, where they look, where they hold their arms and whether or not they make eye contact.... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication]
2447 words (7 pages)
- Communication is a natural part of our daily life whether it 's verbal or non-verbal. We influence and motivate people each day when we communicate with others. In recent studies it was found; that couples had a difficult time trying to say what they mean. Subsequently, it is without a genuine understanding of the conversation and those who are closest to us are taken for granted. The article, Close Relationships Sometimes Mask Poor Communication, describes concerns for how couples interpret themselves.... [tags: Communication, Interpersonal relationship]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- Across the world and throughout every culture, one of the most celebrated and integrated aspects of human development is language. From a child’s first word to quotes and speeches to the significance of someone’s ‘final words’, language is a deeply embedded element of human life, and is the main signifier that most would agree separates us from other species. Being able to talk, to listen and to communicate is especially important in a child’s development as it allows them to do three important tasks: communicate with others, express themselves and to aid them in development throughout their life.... [tags: Communication, Learning, Language, Jean Piaget]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Reflection on Communication Skills Everyone of us has different ways of communicating with other people. It maybe how you communicate to your parents, will be different to your partner, children, friends or even to the strangers. Communication is something that most people do at some point each day, and is an important part of life especially in a working environment. According to skillsyouneed.com that communication is simply the act of transferring information from one place to another. Your communication maybe differs from one person to another but no matter what, communication has to be clear and in respectful way to be able to properly relay the message to the person that receives your... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication, Writing]
948 words (2.7 pages)