What is global warming and what is its actual definition? Well, according to the online dictionary, global warming is, “a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth’s atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons, and other pollutants” (Online Dictionary). In simple terms, it’s all the heat that’s trapped in the Earth’s atmosphere that has not been absorbed yet. Many think of global warming as a joke or a hoax. But on the contrary, global warming is a serious issue whose impacts can be seen over the past years. People need to realize that this is a serious problem and that we need to help take care of this issue as soon as possible. Some might ask, “What exactly causes global warming?” But the truth is, you can’t pinpoint this answer. There are various factors that contribute to the cause of global warming. And the effects are multiple as well. But we’ll learn more about these in upcoming paragraphs. Global warming is an environmental concern that still puzzles many, including scientists, till this day too try and figure out how to completely eliminate global warming.
Global warming isn’t a problem that’s been brought to our attention recently. It’s actually an issue that’s been around for decades. The greenhouse effect was first discovered by Joseph Fourier in 1824. Soon after scientists began to see a rise in global warming in greenhouse gas emission during the First Industrial Revolution. Although the First Industrial Revolution did bring about population growth, it also brought an increased level of pollution. With the creations of railroads, coal mining, and the steam engine, air pollution incr...
... middle of paper ...
...arming include air pollutants such as aerosols, and “natural” forms of air pollutants, which are caused by dust storms, erupting volcanoes, and wild fires. Global warming has major effects. Those include, a tremendous rise in sea level, severe droughts, allergy seasons lasting longer for people, and heavier rainfalls which will then lead to high levels of flooding. If not taken care of immediately, Earth’s seasons will be altered drastically. Spring may start sooner, while winter may be shorter or summer will take over most of the year. Who knows? Many wildlife animals that are endangered may soon diminish completely, and parts of the world may change due to the increase of bodies of water once ice caps melt. Global warming is an environmental concern that still has many people struggling for answers and an ultimate solution on how to stop global warming entirely.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The causes and effects of Global Warming The Earth has experienced considerable climate change for the last several centuries. There have been many explanations toward the main causes of the increased warming of the planet, but according to IPCC climate report: human impact is unequivocal. The recent weather events that Canada has experienced in Toronto and Calgary have proven Canada is at great risk from the climate change. A UN panel said it was more certain than ever that humans were the cause of global warming and they also predicted temperatures could rise from 0.3 to 4.8 degrees Celsius in this century.... [tags: climate change, temperature]
605 words (1.7 pages)
- As Robert Frost once said, “ Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.” This excerpt can relate to the idea of global warming. Global warming can be defined as an increase in the earth's average atmospheric temperature that causes corresponding changes in climate and that may result from the greenhouse effect. During the past 10,000 years the earth has been in an ever-growing cycle that has significantly changed the climate.... [tags: Environment, Climate Change]
2365 words (6.8 pages)
- Hardin, Russell. "MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) For Our Time?." Social Research 82.3 (2015): 811-819. Business Source Complete. Web. 25 Mar. 2016. Hardin discusses the causes and effects of global warming over time, as well as the importance of effective and logical collective-action among humans to potentially revert this universal threat. He provides a clear perspective on the subject by offering analogies on how global warming will affect us later on assuming that it continues at its current rate and providing various examples on how we came together , in the past, to overcome climate based societal issues.... [tags: Global warming, Carbon dioxide, Climate change]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- ... Lastly, the main green house gas refers to Fluorinated Gases that make up multiple chemical reactions, create holes in the atmosphere, and increase global temperatures. In addition to global warming contributors, the EPA has also identified particulate matter or particle pollution as another source for climate change. Particulate matter ranges in size and texture, which are often found in the air. Particulate matters can be detrimental to the health of humans and the environment. According to the EPA, particulate matter is “emitted directly from a source, such as construction sites, unpaved roads, fields, smokestacks or fires.... [tags: climate, natural causes, environment]
1493 words (4.3 pages)
- Al Gore says global-warming skeptics are a group diminishing almost as rapidly as the mountain glaciers. ( Michael Shnayerson) Global warming is the gradual rise of the Earth 's surface temperature thought to be caused by the greenhouse effect. Today I will be discussing with you a growing environmental issue known as global warming including its cause, effect, and solutions. First I will explain what causes global warming. Then I will highlight the effects of global warming. As a final point, I will discuss different solutions for it.... [tags: Greenhouse gas, Global warming, Carbon dioxide]
1389 words (4 pages)
- “All across the world, in every kind of environment and region known to man, increasingly dangerous weather patterns and devastating storms are abruptly putting an end to the long-running debate over whether or not climate change is real. Not only is it real, it's here, and its effects are giving rise to a frighteningly new global phenomenon: the man-made natural disaster” (Barack Obama, April 3, 2006). What could be causing these extreme weather patterns. Scientists say that it is the gradual increase of the temperature over the entire earth.... [tags: Climate Change, Argumentative Essay]
2141 words (6.1 pages)
- ... In Northern Europe, Eastern America, and parts of Asia have increased precipitation amounts. Droughts have become longer and more severe. Many areas are seeing bigger and more intense snow storms. Hurricanes nowadays have higher wind speeds than before, and finally, hurricanes stay stronger longer because of warming at the bottom of the ocean. Global warming is caused by many things. The main reason is because of too much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. There are a lot of human activities that add on to global warming.... [tags: greenhouse, storms, glaciers]
739 words (2.1 pages)
- The Causes, Effects and Possible Solutions to Global Warming Global warming is a problem that threatens the whole world. Though it has had little noticeable impact on the world so far, its potential impact could be disastrous which is why global warming has become an issue ever present in the media and for governments. Global warming is not a new phenomenon. The sun warms the Earth's surface and to stop it over-heating the heat energy is radiated back through the atmosphere and into space.... [tags: Environment Global Warming Climate Change]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- Abstract There needs to be a reduction if not extinction with the increasing amounts of carbon dioxide, methane, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), per-fluorocarbons (PFCs) and nitrous oxide into the atmosphere because it is directly affecting global warming. The combustion of fossil fuels and greenhouse emissions mainly contribute to the increase of these gases. The longer we go without solving this global problem the more conflicts we will have in the future. Although global warming does make the earth warmer there is more to worry about than heating to death.... [tags: Environment Ecology Earth Climate Change]
3548 words (10.1 pages)
- Global Warming is a condition caused by greenhouse gases and human activities. The increased concentration of greenhouse gases due to activities such as deforestation and fossil fuel burning is causing the Earth’s atmosphere and oceans to warm up. As a result of this, global warming has some serious effects in the shape of extreme weather, species extinctions, and rising sea levels. These effects can contribute to the changes that are taking place all over the world, most of which are dangerous enough to pose a threat to the survival of life on Earth in the future.... [tags: Causes and Effects]
671 words (1.9 pages)
- Swot Analysis Of International Industry Analysis
- Ancient Riches Cash Drop?
- Interviewer : The First Thing That I Am
- Master Resale Rights : 7 Tips For Understanding And Reselling Products
- Walmart : The World 's Largest Retailer
- The Early Colonies Of Virginia And New England, Religious And Racial Diversity