My TAPP Experience
Northern Arizona University
My twenty five hours of community service were attained at the Teenage Parent Program or TAPP, at Summit High School here in Flagstaff. My experience was one I will look back on when I am older. TAPP made a difference in my life and I helped someone else’s in the process.
1: Setting, Agency Name, Address, Phone Number
The Teenage Parent Program or “TAPP” is located inside Summit High School, which is in a small neighborhood across from the Flagstaff Mall. It is in a few classrooms in the back left part of Summit High school. There is the main classroom which has a kitchen, a bathroom, two offices, tables and chairs, and a back computer lab that also has a baby play area. The other classroom has another area for a daycare for the kids to be watched at everyday while the students are in class. Summit High School is located at 4000 N. Cummings Street in Flagstaff, Arizona 86004. Their phone number is (928)-773-4101.
2: Mission & Types of Services the Agency Provides
The Teenage Parent Program is an extremely helpful program at Summit High School, which allows for the students with children or who are pregnant, to continue with their education. They work hard in school with online classes and regular classes, while also taking care of their children. “The Teenage Parent Program is an alternative education program within the Flagstaff Unified School District. This program is for pregnant and parenting teens who want to continue their education while remaining close to their babies”, this is the main focus of the program according to their website. The agency provides help to those teens that need the extra help. They give their kids bottles, cl...
... middle of paper ...
...t in the Field of Social Work
I think I will continue on the social work path in the future. I am thinking of changing my major to social work and having a minor in law. I want to work with macro social work and deal with big organizations and/or deal with policy making. While working with one on one with people in a micro situation was fun, I think I can make a bigger impact on people and the community if I go into macro social work. I want to make a big impact and change things so that people truly get equal opportunities and get more help when they need it in the home.
In conclusion my experience at the TAPP program was a very insightful one. I learned a lot about myself and this particular community. TAPP I loved working at Summit High School and working with this community. In the future I hope to impact more people’s lives in macro social work.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cathy Small known as her pen name under Rebekah Nathan is a professor and a graduate coordinator of anthropology at Northern Arizona University. During a leave of absence from teaching, during the fall of 2002 at the age of 52 she enrolled as a student at Northern Arizona University, signing up for a standard first year range of courses. During that time for Nathan as a student life, she saw, observed and felt the social life between US students and international students which became her main target and purpose.... [tags: University, Student, Education, Campus]
1357 words (3.9 pages)
- Music is ubiquitous and we are exposed to it every day: in the elevator, on the way to work and on the university campus. We have all been exposed to music at least once in our lifetime. Music is inspirational, motivational and can help us focus. Music can help college students stay alert and focused when they are staying up late cramming for tests or writing English papers. The same can be applied to athletes and why they listen to music before a game. Athletes want to get in the "zone" and music helps them achieve that goal.... [tags: Music, Tempo, Rhythm, Beats per minute]
1818 words (5.2 pages)
- Flagstaff, AZ When you think of Arizona, you think of vast deserts with the sun that lasts the whole day. As you force your car north through the significant state, the seasons change before your eyes. Finally, in the middle of the state you reach the rich San Francisco Mountains. Once you see the peaks of the mountains you know you are close to Flagstaff, AZ. Flagstaff is the definition of a mountain town. There isn’t a person in the city that hasn’t hiked, skied or snow-boarded down these giant mountains.... [tags: Arizona Geography Essays]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- Krupa M. Shah Professor Gerry Malek 812 Sect 027 Analytical Reading/Writing ESL February 10, 2016 Essay 1 Revision (Evaluation) US students Vs. International students in social life Cathy Small known as her pen name under Rebekah Nathan is a professor and a graduate coordinator of anthropology at Northern Arizona University. During a leave of absence from teaching, during the fall of 2002 at the age of 52 she enrolled as a student at Northern Arizona University, signing up for a standard first year range of courses.... [tags: University, Student, Education, Campus]
1384 words (4 pages)
- ... Her opinion caused me to do some deep thinking. My main focus for choosing my topic was not fully supported. I was doing so becuase I have a Hispanic in my family background. A new focus was developed in my research and opinion. My observation, including my interviews took place on campus in the MUC (Morris University Center) in the Meridian Ball room. In my reaserch and study, I wanted to take a straight forward appproach. I wanted to be honest with the people I interviewed and I wanted the same in return, honesty.... [tags: hispanic culture analysis]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Every one knows religion play an important role in the society. Through studied this class, I know there are two primary ways to define religion. The first is a substantive definition, “these types of definitions are concerned with that religion IS and what its followers believe.” (PPT. 8/27) The second type of definition is functional definition, “Functional definitions are more concerned with what religion DOES and how it affects the society it exists in.” (PPT. 8/27) I come from China, so this is my first time to touch the real Christian group and as my knowledge the Christian group is the biggest religion group in the US, Christian also is most influential religion group in the US.... [tags: God, Religion, Bible, Judaism]
1627 words (4.6 pages)
- Technology affects all facets of higher education. The institutions administrative branches and faculty, access and student learning perspectives benefit from technology applications. Embracing technology will enhance the out come of universities and students learning experiences. Multi media classes were offspring of distance learning and television videos that were not interactive. (Marque, 2013) Free on-line classes Masses Open On-line Courses (MOOCs), Coursesa and Khan Academy created to expose anyone who signs up to participate in the class.... [tags: Education, University, Higher education, College]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- Section A: Issue Description In 2014, Arizona State University (ASU) set an al-time record high for student enrollment, accepting nearly 82,000 students. Being the largest public university in the United States, every member of the ASU community is a key stakeholder in Meatless Monday’s. This includes ASU faculty, staff, students and visitors. By adopting Meatless Monday’s, you could strengthen your body, mind and ultimately help keep the planet more sustainable. Since everyone has to eat, everyone is affected by this matter.... [tags: Meat, Vegetarianism, Livestock]
2119 words (6.1 pages)
- University of Southern California The University of Southern California started during the 1880’s, when Los Angeles was just a small town without electricity and paved streets. At that time, there were only 50 students and 10 teachers, but today there are over 43,000 students and almost 4,000 full-time faculty. Today, the University of Southern California is located in one of the most densely populated, biggest metropolises in the world. The University of Southern California is one of the most successful private research universities in the world.... [tags: Academic degree, Bachelor's degree]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- Please find attached the report you requested on 11 July 2016, reflecting on my experience studying in higher education in the University of Southern Queensland’s Tertiary Preparation Program. This report evaluates six aspects of my study this semester and provides recommendations that should aid future studies if implemented. Preparing this report has been an interesting and valuable process. If you have any further questions, I am available for discussion. Yours sincerely This report was requested by Mr Gary Orth to provide a reflection on my experience of studying higher education in Semester 2 of the University of Southern Queensland’s Tertiary Preparation Program.... [tags: Education, Learning, Future, Study skills]
2015 words (5.8 pages)