Bullying is a word that is frequently heard and seen in all kinds of media; newspaper headlines, on TV, Facebook and all other forms of social media. It is common to read that a teenage girl commited suicide due to bullying. Bullying is everywhere: in schools, at home, on the internet, in the streets and even in the work place. Bullying is referred to as a specific form of injurious violence, related to short and long term emotional hurt. Bullying can take a number of different forms. The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development’s Building Respectful and Safe Schools (2010) recognize four types of bullying: physical bullying, verbal bullying, hidden bullying and cyber bullying. (National Centre Against Bullying, 2010) Psychologists generally define bullying as a frequent physical or verbal abuse that implies power difference deliberately causing another person to suffer. (BAZELON, 2013). The findings of researches conducted about violence send alarming signals about the issue of bullying. A study piloted by the United States Department of Justice shows that 1/3 of all adolescences report being bullied at school and 85% of bullying occurs in the presence of peers. [ 1; 67% ] The study also showed that boy bullies are likely to rely on corporal violence more than girl bullies, who often use teasing, rumor-spreading, exclusion, and social isolation. Bullies generally have some common features including undeveloped social skills, lack of kindness and empathy, weak control of desire and addiction of watching violent TV shows and playing more violent video games. (Sampson, 2003). Due to the increased bullying in schools, researchers argue whether bullies are born or made. People often ask why children bully. Why some ch...
... middle of paper ...
...e genes, study suggests. The Gurdian , 2.
[ 6; 100% ] National Centre Against Bullying. (2010). Four Kinds of Bullying. Retrieved December 28, 2013, from National Centre Against Bullying: [ 6; 78% ] http://www.ncab.org.au/fourkindsofbullying/ Pinker, S. (2002). The Blank Slate-The Modern Denial of Human Nature. Retrieved December 25, 2013, from Edu Cause Website: http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ff0616s.pdf Sampson, R. (2003). [ 7; 100% ] Bullying in Schools. Washington: The U.S. Department of Justice.
Taylor, D. E. (1999). Bullies and Vampires. Retrieved December 30, 2013, from Isdom to Go Website: http://wisdomtogo.com/tag/bullying-as-learned-behavior/ Zrinski, T. ( 2011, September 13). Are Bullies Made or Are They Born? Retrieved December 30, 2013, from Bethlehem Patch Web site: http://bethlehem.patch.com/groups/opinion/p/are-bullies-made-or-are-they-born
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Serial Killers, Born or Created. Dexter, born as a serial killer or did a traumatic event from early childhood create the serial killer. In Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the main character is a sociopathic serial killer who leaves a meticulous crime scene and collects a drop of blood on a microscope slide from each of his victims as a memento. Popular culture (media) espouses the belief that child abuse, traumatic events, and emotional neglect, triggers something in the mind, which causes people to become serial killers.... [tags: Antisocial personality disorder, Psychopathy]
1530 words (4.4 pages)
- ... Scientist insist on giving every condition a terminology which creates the separation amongst individuals. The ignorance of scientist is the reason why these individuals feel as if they are excluded from the normal world. Scientist cannot fix or even try to manipulate the sexual preference of a human body. Inter-sex individuals do not need from any surgical fixing, what they need is a little bit of comprehension from society to accept natures mysterious ways, and respect the decision of inter-sex individuals of choosing whatever gender they want to become.... [tags: being born with both sex organs]
1303 words (3.7 pages)
- Bullies vs. Dictators When it comes to bullies, we frequently think of little kids picking on other little kids. However, though bullying is an adolescent phase as well, grown adults can threaten other adults, also. A dictator, which seems to be an adult bully on a large scale, misuses their power and controls a nation with a posse. They mostly use violence in order to scare citizens into changing their ways of life. Bullies and dictators are very similar because they use violence, they feel superior in their position and they tend to have their own cliques; but they’re different in degree.... [tags: Adolf Hitler, Nazi Germany, Benito Mussolini]
1644 words (4.7 pages)
- Bullies vs. Dictators When we hear the word “bully”, we normally think of little kids picking on other little kids. However, though bullying is an adolescent phase as well, grown adults can threaten other adults, also. On another note, a dictator, which seems to be an adult bully on a larger scale, misuses their power and controls a nation with a posse. They mostly use violence in order to scare citizens into changing their ways of life. Bullies and dictators are very similar because they use violence, they feel superior in their position and they tend to have their own cliques; but they’re different in degree.... [tags: Adolf Hitler, Nazi Germany, Benito Mussolini]
1579 words (4.5 pages)
- Serial killers have many frightening facets. The most frightening thing about them is that experts still do not know what makes a human become a serial killer. Many experts believe serial killers become what they are because they have a genetic disposition or brain abnormality while other experts believe that a serial killer is created by childhood abuse; and some other experts believe that it is a combination of both brain abnormalities and abusive childhood experiences that creates a serial killer.... [tags: genetic disposition, child abuse]
1033 words (3 pages)
- There are many ways to get a point across or tell a story, but the ones that are mainly used are photographs and narratives. The differences between these two are in the details because they both tell a story. When you tell a story with a photograph you tend to add filters. Sometimes you even choose to capture only a certain part of the story with absolutely no context surrounding it. However, with a narrative you are able to go into complete detail, be it personal or factual, as well as be able to describe all of the story by also giving stories and examples.... [tags: Narrative, Narrative mode, Born into Brothels]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- Summary This article investigates the psychosocial adjustment of bullies, victims, bully/victims, and a control group of adolescents unaffected by violence. Indicators of adjustment were self-esteem, symptoms of depression, stress, loneliness and satisfaction with their life. 1,319 adolescents from seven state schools in Spain were given self assessment inventories in these five categories. ANOVAs revealed the bullies were similar to the control group in self-esteem, lack of depression and loneliness, but were similar to victims and victim/bullies regarding higher stress and lower satisfaction with life.... [tags: Sociology]
619 words (1.8 pages)
- In the story “A Poetics for Bullies” written by Stanley Elkin, a young boy nicknamed Push recieves his enjoyment from torturing the school kids. From controlling kids on playgrounds to attempting to control the new kid on the block by the name of John Williams. John Williams then comes in and displays an alternative way of getting everyone to do what he wants. Ultimately, Push should be looked at as the better person because he knew exactly who he was and refused to change for anybody, on the other hand John Williams offered help regarding different issues the kids had to get them to follow him instead of Push.... [tags: push, controlling kids, power]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- The Role of Men in Of Woman Born Adrienne Rich, via Of Woman Born, has created a wonderfully complex description and analysis of the condition of being a woman in our patriarchal American culture, or at least in the middle-class, white portion of it, as she acknowledges in the introduction to the 1986 edition of the book. Since I happen to fit into this category, I find this book to be very personally satisfying, although I can certainly imagine that Rich's writings wouldn't be completely applicable to all women in America.... [tags: Adrienne Rich Woman Born Essays]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- Bullies Upon reading last Sunday’s issue of the newspaper, then scanning the Editorial Pages my eyes were drawn to thick black letters entitling a column “Time to pick on bullies”. This editorial of Bill Thompson immediately laid claim that after a school shooting, news follows that the shooter was “bullied” by fellow students. Seeing where this topic was headed, I was intrigued to read on. After a short reminiscent review of how kids used to either tolerate the ridiculer, or as Mr. Thompson wrote, resort to an “old fashioned schoolyard fist fight.” He then began fortifying his stand on the issue.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
546 words (1.6 pages)