When playing video games, the coordination and concentration can physically, socially, and mentally benefit the user. Research today shows that certain video games can reduce fat and therefore promote weight loss. Other sources state that doctors have instructed parents to let their children play video games to help control focus. It is found that video games can improve hand eye coordination and have been used for rehabilitation of wounded soldiers. Gamming has developed in technology, and created many new positive effects. Over the years video games has become popular, the history of gamming continues all the way back to board games, new equipment has created constructive and entertaining learning experiences.
Video games are used to improve physical health. Playing video games does not mean being inactive. New and improved video games involve and incorporate different types of movement in the actual game. Certain video games can reduce fat causing global weight loss (Recio 143). By turning game systems into exercise, new generation games draw people into activities and get heart rates pumping. Schools have incorporated video games into part of their physical education program. Children’s waists lines have gone down by inches due to playing video games in gym class. In gym, the machines teach things like balance, timing, and coordina...
... middle of paper ...
...e dealing with technology everywhere and their whole lives. Video games help make kids feel comfortable with technology. Video games now provide a fun and social form of entertainment and are used all over the world for positive effects. Gaming has had positive effects on aiding weight loss, improving the efficiency of visual skills, controlling anger, creating fun interactive learning environments, and has become a new way of therapy to help rehabilitate patients. The new Wii programs will certainly develop and continue to perform more incredible effects on different people.
New gaming technology is being developed every year; the effects can only get more enhanced.
"Video game play may provide learning, health, social benefits." American Psychological Association. February 2014, Vol 45, No. 2
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “4 out of 5 households contain at least one device used to play video games.” This was said by Colin Campbell, a journalist and writer that published a novel about the gaming industry. We always hear from parents and others that video games are a waste of time, or they kill brain cells, but what about the benefits of playing video games. Why aren’t people talking about the benefits of playing video games. Video games have benefits in multiple areas. A couple areas for example would be education or work related benefits.... [tags: Video game console, Wii, Game controller]
1056 words (3 pages)
- According to the Entertainment Software Association, a US association whose purpose is to serve the business and public affairs of companies that make computer and video games , about 185 million Americans play video games (2014 Essential Facts 2). This not only includes children, but adults and seniors as well. Even though this is over half of the country, many people assume those who play video games are lazy, aggressive, and anti-social. Many games are violent and can be very addictive for some so it’s understandable that people would believe this.... [tags: physical and mental health]
1794 words (5.1 pages)
- In the past few decades there has been debate over the positive and negative affects of video games with a good deal of focus on more violent games. Prior to and concurrently with this debate, there have also been similar debates over radio, television, and movies but, as should be obvious from the current breadth of media, no studies have definitively proven any negative affects. The detractors of video games claim, based on media effects research, that people who play video games with any sort of violence in them have heightened antisocial and decreased prosocial tendencies afterwards; this is the assumed cause of certain acts of violence including the majority of school shootings.... [tags: Benefits Video Games 2014]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- It seems like everything coming out about video games is bad. A student tried to kill his fellow classmates, and he was an avid Call of Duty player. A study has been released that proves that playing video games will turn you into a criminal. The many benefits of games and gaming, such as their possible applications to education and their ability to tell more complex stories than other forms of media, are almost universally ignored. I know better, though. Between the lifetime I’ve spent playing and loving video games, and the articles I’ve found, I can tell you that video games do not cause violent behavior or thoughts.... [tags: Video Games]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Video games have come under fire recently. Many people claim the graphic violence and adult themes in the games have affected younger generations and caused many violent acts. Others claim that video games have contributed to obesity and a lack of communication skills. Both of these claims are most often an older generation's misunderstanding of today's youth and the overreaction of the media. Rarely does the mainstream media portray video games for what they really are, a new way for kids to interact and share meaningful experiences all without being in any danger.... [tags: Video Games Essays]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- ... Furthermore, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, nearly 78 percent of boys in fourth grade through twelfth grade own video games that are rated “mature,” which may contain intense violence (1496). Due to the vast popularity of violent video games and the revenue that the sale of violent video games provides for the video game industry, a ban on the sale of violent video games to teenagers would be devastating to the video game industry. Violent video games and nonviolent video games that include a multiplayer function also provide a medium through which teenagers can socialize and make friends.... [tags: Video game, Video game genres]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- Computer Games Personal computer games refer to the video games which are played on personal computers rather than on arcade machines or video game consoles. The most defining features of these games include a higher degree of user control over the gaming software and hardware and an absence of central controlling ability. Another defining characteristic of the computer games is the increased capacity for input to the pc, processing and consequently the output. People playing computer games are able to interact with objects displayed on the computer screen for the purpose of entertainment.... [tags: Video game, Personal computer game]
1232 words (3.5 pages)
- “Adverse Effects of Playing Violent Video Games” Can playing violent video games have detrimental effects on teens. According to an article by M. Lee and Laura Finley entitled “Video Games Are Addictive and Promote Irresponsible Behavior” the authors’ claim, “Research shows disturbing links between exposure to violent video games and desensitization to violence in the real world "(Lee M. and Laura Finley). In other words the article confirms that video game violence can have negative social and emotional effects on adolescents.... [tags: Video game, Nonviolent video game]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- Background of the Study I chose the topic for I, myself, am a gamer. I am very fond of playing video games. Whenever I play video games, my parents always discuss the bad things I can get from it. They always say I should stop playing, that there’s nothing good I can get from playing these games. Playing video games is not at all bad. It may be good actually. I chose this topic so that I could research more and dig deeper on what the effects of playing video games really are, I’d like to show others the other side of the effects of playing video games. Significance of the Study A lot of people play video games.... [tags: table-tennis, history, children]
1821 words (5.2 pages)
- Many young children and teenagers have heard their mother’s incessant plead to get away from the screen and to go outside or pick up a book for once instead. The urge to play “just one more level” before starting that homework or doing those chores can be quite distracting. But are video games really as awful as Mom exclaims or as brutal as those TV ads depict. It turns out that video games can have a strong impact on participants’ lives in both positive as well as negative ways. When imagining the typical video gamer, one might envision the stereotypical overweight, slightly nerdy looking man who traps himself within his basement till two every morning leveling his character.... [tags: Video Games Pros Cons 2014]
1100 words (3.1 pages)