Close your eyes... All the way. Keep them closed please! Ok now take a deep breath in and imagine yourself inhaling all the beautiful shiny things your heart desires. Imagine inhaling a cold crisp gratifying lungful so satisfying you can feel a release of pressure moving down every individual bone in your rib cage as your lungs fill to their maximum capacity. So full in fact you would start to swear the very air you are breathing has somehow become cleaner. The more you breath, the healthier you begin to feel. Your judgment begins to feel a bit more at ease or maybe even foggy. As you drift off to a... happier state of mind, think for a moment or two what your ultimate vision of the "American Dream" would look like to you. Do you imagine a large house to keep you safe, full of life 's top of the line necessities? Maybe a spacious yard with a finely groomed yard to really show off your prize winning garden engulfed in wildflowers perfectly complimenting your oak wood wrap around deck that just so happens to overlook the Hollywood sign that has a lovely view from your infinity pool. The pool that is located near your 4 car garage full of the latest and greatest models. Your bank accounts are full the relatives are healthy and well educated at the best schools and your perfect life and possessions are always admired by your many loyal followers of social media. After all isn 't that the "American Dream"? Maybe that 's all it was... an oasis of an illusion passed down through generations to be sought after. Like a vital cog in a well-oiled machinery that held all the other pieces together to work hard.
According to Nitin Nohria In the Envy and the American Dream published by Harvard Business Review from 2013 "...
... middle of paper ...
...ays. We are a nation built on lies, murders, secret societies, terrorists within our own U.S. government and wars started out of pure vengeance because it is just the way things are. Simply because our historic leaders have developed and adapted to a certain way of conducting policies that are not in our nation 's best interest today, is not the nation we should be forced to stand behind. If this is the way, we are teaching our children to behave because we just don 't know any better due to our parent 's ignorance then we are just as guilty. If we don 't decide to stop being lazy and make the choice to think about our children 's generation then who will? The government? The wrapper for the American dream may change but it is still tucked inside the same small sales pitch full of lies containing the same deceiving message and unfulfilled promises.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Original Writing A crunch of pebbles as a perfectly crafted square of engineered metal falls to the beach. 5 figures crawl from their vessel onto a dreary beachhead. The rain beat down on a terrible Tuesday night. Silver, a man in his prime of physical fitness, shivered in the cold. Like lambs his men followed him intently, without question. In their minds, however, they were at home. With their wives and girlfriends, away from the war. Too many men have perished on this 2-mile stretch of coastline for man to contemplate, for a war that is yet to be understood.... [tags: Papers]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- It 's my wedding day, and I 've overslept. There 's no time for primping, or even showering. I roll on deodorant, throw my gown over my head and run to the church. When I arrive, my dress is speckled with mud. The organist has settled in the choir loft; the guests are nestled in their pews. The photographer must have overslept, too, because my dad is pressing a distant relative with a disposable camera into service. I refuse to accept the gravity of the situation, opting instead to repeat the refrain that has soothed me countless times over these seven months of planning: "Everything will be just fine." I peer down the aisle.... [tags: Wedding, White wedding, Wedding dress, Dresses]
1858 words (5.3 pages)
- The Birthday Nightmare - Original Writing It was the misty morning of Charl's 21st birthday. Herself, her partner and her best friend were preparing to travel from dull-skied Trenton, their hometown in New Jersey to Glamorous New York to celebrate Charl's birthday. Her best friend Sarah was to drive the kitted out van and her partner Leone was to accompany Charl on their first travel from the time when they were at college. Now geared up, they set off to New York. The Dodge Durango STL was travelling down the B849 at a steady speed as Leone luckily escaped a fatal car crash when he was 11, so he was slightly uncomfortable about travelling on reasonably sized jo... [tags: Papers]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- My Nightmare - Original Writing It was Monday morning, my first day of babysitting. I wanted some extra money and because it was the school holidays, I decided that babysitting for my mum's friend (Elizabeth) was a good idea. I had to look after baby John who was six months old between the hours of 9 and 4, Monday-Saturday, which I didn't mind doing because I loved kids. Elizabeth, had moved away with her husband Steve, a few years ago because of his job, but still they kept in contact.... [tags: Papers]
775 words (2.2 pages)
- Grade for ESL class Banita Poudyal Wilmington University In today’s competitive world, academic is very important and a good grade is most have in order to make a decent career. For the international student like me, this class is very important. This class teaches us to adopt the writing styles used in many fields and also makes us able to communicate properly within the society. The vast diversity and increasing immigration in this country are making the society more globalized. To stand out among those crowds and make a decent career, we have to do better in learning the way the society understands and ESL class teaches us that.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Better, Writing process]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- First Day at a Nightmare - Original Writing I sat uncomfortably in the back seat with a stony expression set hard on my face. Surrounded by my childhood possessions that travelled everywhere with me; my bear, my blanket and my christening bangle, I could escape reality for a while - with them I wasn't on the way to a new school where I knew no-one - they were my protection from the harsh actuality of the real world. As the school loomed ever nearer in the dark, ominous mist of the frosty December morning, I became overwrought with nerves, shivering with apprehension, filled with dread.... [tags: Papers]
927 words (2.6 pages)
- My Worst Nightmare- Original Writing As I Walked down that bitter and harsh road I looked back as he continued to walk out of my life. I t was then I realized I was making a big mistake. “Thomas” I called my words falling upon deaf ears. I had a sudden urge to wring his neck like a piece of cloth. He continued to walk on though he did look behind “Why so you can hurt me like you did to Jason?” “It wasn’t me!” I lied I should start from the beginning. My name is Debra Witch Anna Craft .Put those words together and you get Debra Witchcrafts Yep you got it in one I am powerful I don `t know how to say it let’s just say between me and you I am powerful enoug... [tags: Papers]
1551 words (4.4 pages)
- I'm Pregnant- Original Writing- "Incomplete Esssay" Background Information:- Young girl of sixteen called Cathy has found out that she is pregnant; she has decided to break the news to her long term boyfriend named Conner who is seventeen. Cathy is very nervous about the situation as she does not know how Conner is going to react. Cathy has known she is pregnant for a week but it has taken her this long to build up the courage to say something. To make matters worse her parents come from a strongly religious Catholic background which means if she tells her parents she could face having no moral support as sex before marriage is not approved and abortions are... [tags: Original Writing Personal Narrative]
454 words (1.3 pages)
- I waved to my friends as they disappeared down the street in a hansom cab. I had just spent a pleasant evening with them at the theater. Laughing and making merry. But now I needed to be alone. Throughout the course of the evening, a pressure had been building within my head. At first it had been slight, but by the end of the evening, I was finding it difficult to concentrate. This was not the first time it had happened to me. Over the course of a few months I had started to feel it, as if there was something within me trying to get out.... [tags: creative writing]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- There is no escape. It encompasses every factor of the modern American lifestyle. It all begins with "The American Dream," in which everyone strives to become part of the ideal, the obsession, that supposedly defines how happiness can be obtained. But happiness is not, contrary to the beliefs of the American Dreamers, measured on a checklist including 2.5 kids, 1 dog, 1 cat, quaint house in suburbs, white picket fence, 2 car garage, freshly mowed lawn, etc. That image is a facade over the ever-crumbling ashheaps of our world.... [tags: Essays on the American Dream]
1421 words (4.1 pages)