One of the first issues with the “new” America could easily be dealt with using the second amendment. Many people misunderstand this amendment and believe that it is only the right to protect a militia not the right for all people to have control of guns (reading). This misunderstanding could be the reason as to why so many laws are placed into effect although the law does state “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” (amend. II). This means that people have the right to have guns and that the government should not be allowed to take that right away unless under circumstances of crime. Although they are taking civilians guns away the crime rate should go down. This being said, in the case of the United States it continues to rise compared to Switzerland where there are few gun laws and crime rates are exceedingly low. This could be due to the attitude of the Swiss which is based on civic virtue whereas America does not train in civic virtue (Guns). In Switzerland, they issue all males assault rifles for their militi...
... middle of paper ...
...hen P. Halbrook." Guns, Crime, and the Swiss - by Stephen P. Halbrook. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2014.
"The NSA May Not Be Listening to Your Private Phone Calls, but It Has Been Watching Your Private Parts." ZDNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2014.
"Reading the Second Amendment." : The Freeman : Foundation for Economic Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Mar. 2014.
Sanchez, Ray, and Haley Draznin and Steve Kastenbaum. "New York Drops Appeal of Controversial Stop-and-frisk Ruling." CNN. Cable News Network, 30 Jan. 2014. Web. 21 Feb. 2014.
Sprung, Shlomo. "25 More Signs That America Is Not The Greatest Country On Earth." Business Insider. Business Insider, Inc, 25 June 2012. Web. 24 Feb. 2014.
U.S. Const. amend. II, sec. 1
U.S. Const. amend. IV, sec. 1
"Yes, the Obamacare Train Wrecks Continue. | National Review Online." National Review Online. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- America, the land of the free. The American dream is within reach for everybody … so we think. How free are we really in a country where our health relies on type of doctor we are told we are allowed to visit and type of medical attention we can receive depends on the type of insurance we have. This does not seem like such an issue for the 22 year old college at student at the University of Pennsylvania whose parents pay for their health insurance every month. Now, for the Community College student who works two jobs just trying to make ends meet every month paying for health insurance does not even seem possible.... [tags: Health care, Barack Obama, Hillary Rodham Clinton]
1342 words (3.8 pages)
- ... The U.S. has stated time and time again that to have safety some privacy must be traded off. This means that if America were to have complete safety everything the citizens do would have to be revealed, there would be checkpoints and body searches, but if the citizens were to have complete privacy the government would have no interference at all. An infringement on the trade-off is that the National Security Agency has been spying on members of the United States. This program called the optic nerve was run from 2008 till 2010 and it covertly intercepted and collected webcam imagery from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally (The NSA).... [tags: violation proxemics, gun control, unemployment]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- America Land of the free. Having being born in a third world country, I can tell you about how Americans characteristics differ from other nations. Most Americans tend to not appreciate the opportunities that they have been given, and tend to take for granted the privilege that they have from being born in America. Whenever, I hear my American friends complaining about life and how unfair it is, I always tell them there are far worse things that can be happening to them right now than them drinking regular coffee because the clerk messed up their order.... [tags: United States, Minimum wage, Sovereign state]
706 words (2 pages)
- America, land of the free…” Americans tout themselves on the foundation on which their country was founded, on freedom (American Civil Liberties Union). Freedom from tyrannical leaders, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion. However, many of the Americans do not share the same freedoms. For hundreds and hundreds of years the African American community has been in a constant fight for equality. From slavery, to Jim Crow, and to current mass incarceration, African Americans, and other minorities are still fighting for freedoms.... [tags: Drug addiction, United States, Cocaine, Racism]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- America land of the free. Americans have fought for and gained freedom for liberties that we believe we are entitled to. Freedom of speech, freedom of press, right to bear arms and to defend ourselves, yet we are not able to decide our own fate when it comes to our death. Even the poor animals are allowed to die when they are in unbearable pain. I remember when I was eight years old my Saint Bernard, Beethoven, was diagnosed with canine osteosarcoma. Even though he was administered with analgesics and treated with premium care, the time came when the veterinarian said that there was nothing else we could do.... [tags: Suffering, Pain, Suicide, Death]
1809 words (5.2 pages)
- America is no longer the land of the free. What was once a judicious and fair land has been shaped and eroded by neglect into a conglomeration that abuses many of its loyal citizens the second they step out of line. Either though a poor choice in a moment of desperation, or through pure bad luck those once loyal citizens that have become irrevocably branded as a criminal by the state are all but ensured that no matter what circumstances put them against the court they will suffer for it for the remainder of their lives.... [tags: Prison, Punishment, Criminal justice, Penology]
1558 words (4.5 pages)
- America is the land of the free and the place of opportunities for everyone. Where the common man can live a comfortable lifestyle. A country that allows people to live a long, prosperous life. The red, white, blue that provides individuals to believe in their own religious, politics, and decided their own choices. The place that accept and respects various cultures, which has various customs. However, the ethnicity of people has the right to get respect, too. Right now, America only recognized black people for their physically contributions such as fashion, music, art, but reject the race of black people.... [tags: African American, Black people, Race]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Merryman was simply voicing his discontent for the North and committed no crime to hurt national security. However, Taney’s ruling proved null as the army refused to release Merryman. In a time of unrest President Lincoln denied rights to American People in the name of national defense. The suspension of habeas corpus by the president instead of congress is in violation of the Founding Fathers view of civil rights and their system of checks and balances. These liberties were ratified in order to prevent tyranny and injustice by the government.... [tags: freedom sacrificed for homeland security?]
1749 words (5 pages)
- Slavery in its own sense conveys a horrifying impression not only to its sufferers, but also to the history of America, where a famous quote became known as a Declaration of Independence. “…all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” (A People and A Nation, Vol.1: To 1877, p.158). However, it appeared that there is a huge contradiction between these assertions— considered as ethical and great antagonists of oppressions— and the existence of slavery, which had took place and became the most contentious part of the history and one of the culprits behind the division of states... [tags: Human Rights]
1586 words (4.5 pages)
- Abortion - America Must Remain the Land of the Free-Choice Without a woman's right to do what she chooses with her body, her freedom and liberty are taken away. If for personal reasons, a women wants an abortion, as is, currently, her constitutional right, she has the freedom to do so. In some states, a woman's freedom to have an abortion has been severely limited. Because of this, many women have had abortions by people not medically licensed to perform them. Many of these unlicensed and unqualified people have used unsterile instruments, thus causing illness or death.... [tags: Abortion, Argumentative, Pro-Choice]
484 words (1.4 pages)