To begin, there are various factors that may cause an adolescent to become allergic to peanuts. The first cause comes from the well-known and accepted theory called the “hygiene hypothesis.” The primary concept of the “hygiene hypothesis” is that because of our clean, developed society the immune system of adolescents is not being challenged with enough germs, parasites, or diseases. Due to such a lack of harmful germs, the immune system will start to attack harmless objects, and in this instance it is the proteins in peanuts (Sicherer and Malloy 12). A large contributor to this theory is not only the too-clean environment that adolescents live in, but is their diet too. This diet is called the Western diet, ...
... middle of paper ...
...raction of a peanut can cause serious health issues or even death. For now all adolescents can do is live their life very diligently, but there is hope that in the future there will be developed cures that will make that small bit of peanut less harmful.
Gallagher, James. "Peanut Allergy Treatment 'a Success'" BBC News, 30 Jan. 2014. Web. 9 Feb. 2014.
Git, Aliah. "New Peanut Allergy Patch Could Be a Game-changer." CBS News, 7 Feb. 2014. Web. 9 Feb. 2014.
Karp, Gregory. "Allergies Fly Under Radar." Chicago Tribune 11 Feb. 2014: 1+. Print.
Landau, Elizabeth. "Why Are Food Allergies on the Rise?" CNN, 3 Aug. 2010. Web. 11 Feb. 2014
Sicherer, Scott H., Terry Malloy, and Anne Muñoz-Furlong. The Complete Peanut Allergy Handbook. New York City: Berkley, 2005. Print.
Young, Michael C. The Peanut Allergy Answer Book. Gloucester: Fair Winds, 2006. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Allergy usually occur when adverse reaction were triggered by immune response when expose to harmless substances. Allergens are able to enter the body via air orally or ingested with food, when the allergen enter the body of a person who were previously expose to the allergen, the allergen will bind to the antibodies on the surface of the mast cell. Mast cells then undergo degranulation and release mediator to cause a chain of allergic response. Food allergy reaction is triggered when the immune system mistakenly integrate certain food protein as harmful and foreign substances.... [tags: Allergy, Immune system, Asthma, Food allergy]
1385 words (4 pages)
- Allergy season is in full swing, and that means that there are many irritated eyes all around. If you are experiencing serious eye allergies, there is still hope for you to fully recover and enjoy the beautiful summer season. Allergies can really get in the way of your daily life, and make things uncomfortable and even painful. But with these great tips for fighting eye allergies, you can improve your eye experience in the weeks to come. At VSP Direct, we care for your eyes, and that’s why we want to help you reduce eye allergies as much as possible.... [tags: Asthma, Immune system, Cleanliness]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- For reasons still unknown, peanut and tree nut (TN) allergies have increased in prevalence in the Western world (Wainstein & Saad, 2015). Peanut allergies, in particular, are the most common cause of food-induced anaphylactic reactions; even a small amount of the allergen can cause symptoms such as urticaria, angioedema, eczema, nausea, vomiting, and wheezing (Husain & Schwartz, 2013). These reactions primarily consist of the interaction between the proteins found in nuts and the digestive and immune systems (White et al., 2015).... [tags: Allergy, Immune system, Asthma, Immunology]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- Road Rage in the United States: Causes, Effects, and Solutions Thesis Road rage is a major problem in the United States, it causes anger, fear , and accidents to our roadways everyday. Introduction In this essay we will define road rage, look at the causes and effects, and come up with posssible solutions on how to avoid an altercation with an agresssive driver who has road rage. I will try to encourage you to learn how to share the road , with not only other drivers, but also pedestrainas and bicylists.... [tags: Problem Solution, Road Rage]
1910 words (5.5 pages)
- Home Remedy for Sun Allergy Sun allergy also known as photosensitivity, is the body’s immune system overreaction to sun rays. People having dark to light skin tones can develop this allergy. The exact cause for this reaction is unclear. Researchers believe that it may be because the light radiated from the sun causes changes in some parts of the skin. This sun-altered skin is like an alarm to the immune system which identifies it as a foreign substance. This then triggers it to launch an attack by producing antibodies and as a result the allergic reaction occurs in the skin.... [tags: Health]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- CAFFEINE ALLERGY HOME REMEDY Caffeine allergy is a reaction in the body’s immune system due to consumption of caffeine or any caffeine products. It is available in drinking tea, soft drink, coffee, chocolates. It is also available in drugs to treat headaches, cold pills and pain relief. It is found that the consumption of caffeine among the adult US population is 80% in the form of food or other medication. A common term is used for the allergic reaction to caffeine and is known as anaphylaxis.... [tags: Health]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- Skin allergy home remedy Description Human skin is sensitive to certain kind of substances known as allergen and react when comes in contact with such substances. The problem is termed to be allergy. The sensitivity varies from person to person and allergen may not be same for every person. Almost any part of the body can be affected by allergy. An abnormal tissue reaction after exposure to an allergen causes allergy. It may reach the tissues by direct contact with the skin or various mucous membranes of the organs or through the bloodstream after absorption.... [tags: Health Care ]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- Chocolates have benefits that can cure allergy but there are people who suffer from chocolate allergy. Chocolates are an addiction to many of us and researchers have found that dark chocolates contain antioxidants. This makes it a reason for many of us to indulge on it all the more. Chocolate allergy falls in Allergies Type 1, also known as contact allergy. Chocolate, a very delicious and mouth watering food is actually a very complex food that contains 300 chemical compounds like caffeine, element calcium.... [tags: Health]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Possible Solutions to the Youth Violence Problem The birds are chirping, the sun is beaming down through the clouds, and you can hear the shrieks of excitement from the neighborhood park. Walking down the street, you envision raising your family on this picture-perfect street. As the vision becomes more and more detailed, however, the shot of a gun rings out from the distance. You duck behind a parked car, wondering where the bullet came from and why. Looking around, you are shocked to see a group of adolescents standing around another child, this one laying lifeless on the ground.... [tags: Solutions Essays]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- Allergies are especially unique in the medical field because they differ among patients. An allergy is a specific immunologic reaction to a normally harmless substance, one that does not bother most people. People with allergies are often sensitive to many substances. Common allergens that cause allergic reactions include seasonal, outdoor allergens like tree, grass, and weed pollen, and year-round indoor allergens including dust particles, animal dander, and indoor mold. Most people usually can be cured by various treatments.... [tags: essays research papers]
1042 words (3 pages)