College Composition I
Abortions for what?
For years now women have been aborting fetuses. Some with and others without the help of medical professionals. Although abortion is an unjust procedure that hinders women both mentally and physically. The risk to the woman and fetus are well known, but still ignored. According to journalists such as Minkoff and Marshall, a script is recited to women prior to the procedure stating the risks to the woman as well as the harm impacted to the fetus during the procedure. Upon reading an article written by David A. Lieb, journalist for the Associated Press, I 've come to realize there is a huge issue that needs to be addressed.
When it comes to abortion it seems that the biggest issues is whether or not the fetus should be given rights. Some believe that an unborn fetus is not a child and therefor has no rights. Those who consider themselves to be “Pro-life” disagree greatly. Since the case of Roe v.Wade and Doe v. Bolton both in 1973, abortion has become legal in numerous parts of the United States. (Gale)
In south Dakota a script is being read to woman who are contemplating an abortion. Howard Minkoff, a distinguished professor of obstetrics and gynecology at SUNY Downstate and chair obstetrics and gynecology at Maimonides Medical Center, recalls the script quoting it to have called the fetus “a whole, separate, unique, living human being.” I find it quite odd that one could actually acknowledge the fetus as a person yet still kill it. With that being said, wouldn’t the aborting doctor be considered a murderer and the mother an accomplice? Call it far fetched, but after being shown photos of a “living human being” inside of my stomach I would feel kind of guilty...
... middle of paper ...
...rong and there are plenty of facts to back up that matter. Father 's should have a right as to where or not they want their child aborted and if they chose to abort them they would be wrong as well. If a woman gets pregnant after consensual sex abortion should not be an option since obviously planned parenting and contraception was not. If a woman was to become pregnant in cases of rape and incests there are plenty of places that would provide care and support during and after her pregnancy. The child should not become a victim and be punished for the mistakes of it 's father. Terminating a pregnancy to prevent the mother of becoming ill is moronic. Aborting a child will cause more harm to the mother both physically and emotionally as well as emotional trauma to the father. Abortion is never a reasonable solution. When face with choosing as yourself abortion for what?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abortions occur for all types of reasons, whether it is because the pregnancy was unplanned, rape-induced, or that it holds a life threatening capacity for the woman herself. Pro-lifers believe once one is conceived, he or she are entitled to a right to live. It does not matter whether or not the pro-lifers are able to prove that a fetus consists of personhood. The life of a potential person should not be able to override the right to one’s body. Judith Thomson presents a though experiment where personhood is granted to a fetus, but how that mere fact still fails to override the woman’s right to her body.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Abortion debate]
1271 words (3.6 pages)
- Abortions, ever since they became an option for women to terminate an unwanted baby either for personal or health related reasons, were always a touchy subject for people because on one side you are ending a possible human 's life, but on the other it is the woman 's body and her choice with what she wants to do with it. However, many abortions are done usually at the start of pregnancy and what the abortionist terminates does not resemble that of a baby at all. Partial-Birth abortions are different in that they are done in the second trimester on a fetus that, if not terminated, could live when extracted from the mother.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, George W. Bush]
1298 words (3.7 pages)
- The issue that is being brought up in today’s news that is one of the major concerns tax payers have is whether they want their tax money to be used in facilitating women in abortion procedures, although the funding is not directly being made to facilitate abortion but rather going to the primary health care provider known as Planned Parenthood. Which facilitates more than 3 million patients. The reason the issue has risen is that they claims they made that tax payer money will lower the rate of abortions was false rather from 2000 to present the abortions have risen and where the facility played a role in sending adoption referrals fell from 50,000+ annually to 19,000.... [tags: Abortion, Birth control, Need, Health care]
770 words (2.2 pages)
- One subject in society that is greatly debated is abortion. The debates are basically divided into 'Pro-Life' and 'Pro-Choice'. Pro-life supporters want abortion to be illegal and not performed anywhere. Pro-choice supporters want the choice to be up to the woman and no one else. There is no ethical way to decide between the two subjects and it's all based on what the person's moral values. Abortion is the termination of an unwanted pregnancy by loss of or destruction of an egg, embryo or fetus before birth.... [tags: Ethics Abortion Abortions Essays]
1066 words (3 pages)
- Abortions: For It or Against It In 1973 a decision made by the United States Supreme Court favored women in making their own medical decision, which included having an abortion. An abortion is the ending of pregnancy by removing the fetus from the embryo before it can survive outside the uterus. Though there are many types of abortions that could take place between the first, second, and third trimesters. This paper will focus on abortions that take place during her first trimester and the ethical concerns for those that support the procedure, as well as those that are in opposition.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Human rights]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- Abortions: To abort or not abort 60 % of women in this world choose to get abortions, this is per year, and the other 40% are either birthed or miscarried. Now, what if every 9 out of 10 females had an abortion. Although abortions are common throughout the world, some people don 't have reasons behind abortions. We have some people that are against abortion then we have some who are not against it. Murder seems to be the result of an abortion. Society is overlooking the outcome of abortions and still allowing people to take part in this cruel activity.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Birth control, Murder]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- The Need for Abortions In recent studies more than 1.06 million abortions are performed, 20 in every 1,000 women received abortions between the ages of 15-44 (“Abortions”). Although, abortions have become a big issue in the United States it has significantly helped decrease the growth in population. 4 out of 10 pregnancies end in abortion, but the rates have declined by thirteen percent since 2008 (“Abortions”). As people begin to study these statistics they begin to question “How did the legislative come to enact abortion?” The abortion laws came to pass by three main concerns, the women’s health, birth defects, and even rape.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Abortions have been a controversial issue for years. Many states have banned abortions after so long in the gestational age. There are reasons for abortions I can understand, but I just don’t agree. Abortions are an inhumane way to take life God has gifted to us. Sadly, there are many surprising numbers when it comes to abortions. According to Operation Rescue, “there are approximately 1.21 million abortions in America each year.” (Unknown, 2013) In the United States, almost half of all pregnancies are unintended and out of those unintended pregnancies 4 out of 10 are aborted.... [tags: Argument Against Abortion]
937 words (2.7 pages)
- Abortions are one of the most controversial subjects for Americans. Many Americans think it should be a choice because it’s their body, but others think were created in the image of god and abortion is murder. Although abortions are convenient they are cruel alternatives to pregnancy. What is an abortion. “An abortion is the ending of pregnancy before birth. An abortion cause the embryo or fetus to die” (Jacobs , , and et al 1).”Abortion comes from the Latin word abortio, which means to abort, miscarry .... [tags: Argument Against Abortion]
1582 words (4.5 pages)
- The Morality of Abortions Abortion’s legalization through Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade, has allowed for one in three pregnancies to end in abortion. This means that 1.5 million abortions are performed in the United States each year (Flanders 3). It ranks among the most complex and controversial issues, arousing heated legal, political, and ethical debates. The modern debate over abortion is a conflict of competing moral ideas and of fundamental human rights: to life, to privacy, to control over one's own body.... [tags: Abortion Moral Ethics Pregnancy Essays]
2714 words (7.8 pages)
- An Analysis Of Gail Godwin 's ' A Sorrowful Woman '
- Social Media And Near Instant Communication
- The Theory Of Consciousness Being A Bad Idea
- Enzymes : An Enzyme Of Protein And Specific Three Dimensional Shapes That Are Necessary For Proper Functioning
- Improving The Soft Skills Of A Business Degree Program
- Cultural Relativism Is A Weak Argument