Being a Youth Leader for the Mangalorean Catholic Association has been a rewarding experience. Being an immigrant myself, I understand the difficulties of navigating the academics and culture in America. In MCA, I am able to not only participate in community service and cultural activities, but also mentor young Mangloreans to ensure that they take advantage of every beneficial opportunity available to them.
Observing and emulating the integrity with which the doctors and nurses at RWJ Medical Center in the CCU treat both patients and their families in some of the most vulnerable times in their lives, has been a humbling experience. I have also come to realize that communicating with families of patients is just as important as treating the patient. This experience has solidified my resolve to pursue medicine as a career.
Middle school is a challenging time in...
... middle of paper ...
...ician Musicians. The various interest groups as well as the Global Health Coalition and GW Helping-Hands, give students the ability to find a community of peers with similar interests. George Washington University’s commitment to training physicians with not only intellectual abilities but also physical and emotional stability, ensures that medical students receive a well-rounded education. The School of Medicine will also provide me with a variety of research and community engagement opportunities which will further enhance my leadership and analytical skills. All things considered, George Washington University School of Medicine provides a competitive environment that would motivate me to achieve my potential. I am certain that, with my commitment and hard-work, the School of Medicine will provide me with the medical training necessary to be a successful physician.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The study of microorganisms is called microbiology. Viruses, Bacteria, Protozoa, Fungi and Worms all come under this category. They have an incredible impact on our daily lives, even though these organisms are tiny and can only be seen when under a microscope. Named microbes for short, it is estimated that there are about 5 million trillion, trillion microbial cells Earth. The largest mass of living material on earth is constituted collectively by microbes. They are tied to the activities of all living things as they degrade organic matter and also provide key nutrients.... [tags: Bacteria, Microbiology, Escherichia coli]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Biology is the study of living organisms divided into specialized fields that cover their morphology, physiology, anatomy, behavior, origin, and distribution. One of the most important fields within biology is microbiology, a field that details the function and behavior of microorganisms that remain invisible to the human eye. Using devices like electron microscopes scientist are able to identify, characterize, and record the morphologies and behaviors of various microorganisms. One of the most essential components of all organisms including microorganisms is their genetic information.... [tags: Bacteria, DNA, Organism, Gene]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- ... During the course of the students’ undergraduate studies, it is recommended that the students maintain a grade point average of a 3.5 or higher. During a students’ undergraduate years at a four-year university, the students’ obtain a strong background in science and mathematics. A few examples of these courses include biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, zoology, algebra, calculus, and statistics. After graduating with a bachelor’s degree, the student will need to follow the step-by-step process of applying to veterinary medical school.... [tags: Medicine, Physician, Medical school]
708 words (2 pages)
- “Enjoy life and follow your heart” These are simple rules in my life taught by my father. From the very beginning in my life, liberation in my mind was a blessing that I was bestowed with. I learnt to think and understand my world in my own view and to question the convention. These qualities were proven worthwhile in my academics when I get the Junior Scholarship from Bangladesh Government in the nationwide meddle-school examination. I passed my Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examination securing GPA 5.00 out of 5.00.... [tags: Dhaka, Mathematics, Science]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- Biology is the science of living systems. It is inherently interdisciplinary, requiring knowledge of the physical sciences and mathematics, although specialities may be oriented toward a group of organisms or a level of organization. BOTANY is concerned with plant life, ZOOLOGY with animal life, algology with ALGAE, MYCOLOGY with fungi, MICROBIOLOGY with microorganisms such as protozoa and bacteria, CYTOLOGY with CELLS, and so on. All biological specialties, however, are concerned with life and its characteristics.... [tags: Biology]
2806 words (8 pages)
- The readers of my paper vary from demographics, it is intended to be read mainly by biology and health students, but it also includes parents of young children from all backgrounds, though they are a secondary audience. Students read my paper so that they a have a grasp on a how their field is applied in the real world and the complications that result of implementing it in a certain fashion. My readers likely understand the fundamentals of how vaccines are supposed to work, and they understand the necessity of being immunized, many if not all would favor having a completely immunized populous, resulting in elimination of diseases.... [tags: Vaccination, Immune system, Vaccine, Smallpox]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- To take my initial steps towards research, I spent the winter during my sophomore year working on a project at microbiology laboratory under Dr. Anil Limaye, Assistant Professor, IIT Guwahati. Apart from gaining valuable knowledge in bacteriology by surveying various literature works, I learned basic techniques such as bacterial culture and transformation. A diverse spectrum of laboratory courses like Molecular Biotechnology Laboratory, Biomolecular Analysis Laboratory and Biochemical Engineering Laboratory have trained me in several basic techniques like Plasmid extraction, Gel Electrophoresis, Purification and Estimation of proteins etc.... [tags: research, baterial, culture, skills]
580 words (1.7 pages)
- 1. Give several examples of the diversity of living things. Organism inhabits almost every place on Earth. Even the most extreme locations contain life. Tiny organisms inhabit the Antarctic ice, giant worms live near hot vents on the ocean floor, and some organisms even live inside other organisms. 2.Explain how the parts of the biosphere interact to maintain life. Organisms interact with earth other and with the environment. A meat eater will eat a grass eater, who feeds on plants, then the meat eater will die and return minerals to the soil, to make more plants for the grass eater to feed on, which is then eaten by another meat eater.... [tags: essays research papers]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- Statement of Purpose I have been in awe of the natural biological phenomena involved in the complex processes of the life. My inquisitive nature prompted me to read about biological processes which helped me understand how small change could be responsible in creating a disease state. Fascination regarding the cause of these diseases encouraged me to pursue Microbiology. The years spent undertaking the undergraduate studies at The Y.C. College of Science, Shivaji University (lndia), was a pivotal phase of my life that significantly shaped my career.... [tags: Microbiology, Bacteria, Biology, Enzyme]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- INTRODUCTION The tiny organisms can not be seen by naked eye, or require the use of microscopes for their visualization are called microbes. These are studied under the branch of biology known as microbiology. Microbiology mainly involves the study of virus, fungi, parasites and bacteria. It also includes the study of immune system. Microbes are present in all parts of biosphere i.e soil, hotsprings, ocean floor, atmosphere and deep inside Earth’s crust. They are the first form of life on Earth.... [tags: e-coli, microbiology, probiotics]
1971 words (5.6 pages)