Sexting can be referred to as sexual content communicated through text messages, smart phones, or visual and web 2.0 activities such as social networking sites. It has been defined as the ‘exchange of sexual messages or images’ (Livingstone et al., 2011) and ‘the creating, sharing and forwarding of sexually suggestive nude or nearly nude images’ (Lenhart, 2009) through mobile phones and/or the internet. There are many factors associated with sexting. This includes that fact that it is coercive, this means that sexting does not refer to a single activity but rather to a range of activities which may be motivated by sexual pleasure but are often linked to harassment, bullying and even violence. (Ringrose, Gill, Livingstone and Harvey, 2012, pp 7).
Although sexting can be viewed as a serious offence, many young people still perform the act. There are many reasons a...
... middle of paper ...
...lly, Girlfriend and Cosmopolitan all of which discuss sex and sexuality. Through this type of media these young adults are trying to figure out who they are, what their sexuality is and what is considered acceptable and what is not. Music videos also influence the attitudes and behaviours of the young people today; but when we see women being sexualised and dancing sexually in a music video it can be degrading towards women and can give us a negative label or reputation. Additionally not all music videos are like this, some do reflect on sexuality which can influence young peoples opinions.
Overall it is evident that sexting and younger peoples sexuality has negative and positive effects on youth and on the opinions of other people, the moral panics about younger peoples sexuality are high but can be avoided and towards the future will slowly be diminishing.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Teenage sexting is a growing epidemic amongst girls in today’s society. Sexting is sending any sexually explicit photos, videos, or messages via cell phone. According to internetsafety101.org, “20% of teens have sent or posted nude or seminude photographs or videos of themselves and 49% of teens believe sending and receiving sexts is very common at their age.” Teenage girls’ low self-esteem, peer pressure, and media’s promotion of hyper-sexuality are the causes of teenage sexting that lead to guilt, bullying, and in most extreme cases criminal charges.... [tags: Adolescence, Self-esteem, Peer group, Bullying]
967 words (2.8 pages)
- Cell phones are common objects found in the pockets and bags of almost everyone one in the world. Recently, cell phones have been getting teens and adults into trouble. Most individuals send and receive text messages. The newest trend among some individuals is “sex-texting” or “sexting.” Sexting is a dangerous yet contagious phenomenon contaminating the lives of teens and adults all over the country, if not the world. This phenomenon can have serious consequences. Even after surveying 1300 teenagers, one in five say they’ve sexted, although they know that it could be a crime (Feyerick and Steffen).... [tags: Sexuality, argumentative, persuasive]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- Although the term “sexting,” to send or receive a sexually explicit text or image via cell phone (Merriam-Webster), is relatively new, the act of sending such content has occurred for numerous years. However, in today’s world, especially in Western culture, society is pushing for more exposure of the body, body confidence, and socialization. The factors of sexting and its burdensome effects have greatly touched the lives of young teens, adults, and families by exposing a loved one. Its outburst effect has led to the assessment of sexting’s negative outcomes and the reasoning behind why they are being sent in the first place.... [tags: Sexual intercourse, Human sexual behavior, Rape]
1351 words (3.9 pages)
- Over the last few years, there has been a lot of discussion and debate over the topic of sexting. It has become a widespread phenomenon, the number of teenage girls and boys, men and women who participate are rapidly increasing, and with this too comes the rise of moral panic within societies. Individuals within the communities are becoming more and more fearful, afraid and shocked at this new form of youth culture hysteria. Although young people ‘expressing’ their sexuality has become much more open and free as of the last decade or so, the real uproar of panic is due to the risks they involving themselves in as well as the damage and harm they are inflicting on themselves, whether they kno... [tags: moral panic, damage, harm, subculture]
1445 words (4.1 pages)
- A sexual predator is a person who hunts for or seek another person for sexual contacts. These contacts are sometimes violent and abusive. Each year, countless children around the world fall prey to sexual predators. These young victims are left with permanent psychological, physical, and emotional scars. A large number of sexual predators are utilizing the Internet to prey on vulnerable children through chat rooms, social media and instant messages. Because of their immature and embryonic minds, most children develop a sense that sexual predators do not exist or that it will never happen to them.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Human sexuality]
1393 words (4 pages)
- The media plays an increasing role in any young person’s life, but it is especially important to teens in their high school years. Research has demonstrated that teenagers “voice concerns and attitudes that echo themes common in media messages, and that they behave in ways that reflect media content” (Feldman 245). The concern is that the sexually suggestive media is the reason for the increase of sexual activity among high school teens. The media messages that are known to increase a teenagers’ sexual behavior come from all different angles, such as sexually explicit music lyrics to the “sex sells” philosophy of countless main stream commercials.... [tags: argumentative, persuasive]
1439 words (4.1 pages)
- 13 Sexting, Texting, and Teens. Long time reader “Jill” wanted me to talk a little bit about how the world today can be a pretty amazing place when it comes to technology, but can also be a scary & permanent place when it comes to texting, sexting, and sending pictures. Hormones and impulsivity can have even the most level-headed teen make a mistake that they may end up regretting for the rest of their life. So, let’s look at the world of texting, sexting, and sending photos, and explore the consequences and ramifications it can have on your teens present & future.... [tags: Adolescence, Young adult, Child pornography]
716 words (2 pages)
- Unlike sex, the history of sexuality is dependant upon society and limited by its language in order to be defined and understood. In his paper which is called Is There A History of Sexuality, Halperin drew a distinction between the topics of sexuality and of sex. He claimed that the two concepts are separate ideas. In Halperin's view, sex is a natural function that has not changed in many years, if ever at all. He says that sex “is a natural fact, grounded in the functioning of the body, and as such, it lies outside of history and culture” (Halperin 416).... [tags: Sexuality ]
1957 words (5.6 pages)
- Jesse Logan was a girl who had just graduated from high school when she was humiliated by her ex-boyfriend to an unforgivable state. She sent a fully frontal nude photograph of herself to her then-boyfriend, which is now known as sexting. After their breakup, the ex-boyfriend forwarded Jesse's sext to their entire school, causing her embarrassment and humiliation. She then did an interview with the Today Show stating "I just want to make sure no one else will have to go through this again." Two months later she was found in her bedroom. She hanged herself. As a nation, how is it going to be possible to implement a policy that will work sufficiently? I believe that through annual, educ... [tags: Teen Sexting 2014]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- Teen’s today face serious criminal charges when they get in trouble for sexting. Sexting is an exchange of nude or seminude images via a telecommunication device. When teens are engaging in sexting, they are not thinking of the possible criminal charges they can face. Sexting among teens is a common issue that we face today in our highly technological world. Laws are not able to keep up with the rate of technology advancements. Teacher, parents, and Louisiana law makers need to be more aware of this issue to try and protect teens from endangering themselves and their future.... [tags: social issues, seminude images]
1688 words (4.8 pages)
- A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen
- The Founding Principles of the Republican Party
- Research: Factors Affecting the Equilibrium Reaction of Iron
- The Appearance of Highly Reflective Fault Mirrors in Carbonate Rocks
- Satire and Critique in Dead Soul by Nikolai Vasilievich Gogol
- Canadian Law: Fundamental Freedom of Thought, Belief, Opinion and Expression