Before the ghost comes and tells him that Claudius has killed him and that he is stuck in purgatory Hamlet is depressed about his fathers death. After a ceremony celebrating Claudius and Gertrude, the new king and queen of Denmark, Hamlet is alone and speaks his first soliloquy. In addition, at this point in the play it is known that Hamlet is not acting and is sincere. In his first monologue he says, “O that this sullied flesh would melt, Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew”(Act 1 scene 2 line 129-130). Here he is suicidal because his father is dead, his uncle has taken over the crown, and his mother has abandoned him. To respond to this Hamlet would like to “resolve … into a dew” or kill himself. Soon after Hamlet mentions, “Or that the Everlasting had not fixed His cannon ‘gainst self-slaughter”(Act 1 scene 2 line 131-132). Hamlet does not know for a fact if the afterlife exists, until after the ghost of his father appears, but he believes that the act of killing himself will cause him to go to hell.
More than halfway through the play, after the play “Mousetrap”, Hamlet’s plan to see if Claudius killed his father has worked. After Claudius stops the play he retreats to his chapel. While on his way to talk to his mother Hamlet sees him in the Chapel praying. Hamlet considers k...
... middle of paper ...
...d it is the living that has to suffer the most. So death, as long as it is not suicide, is not that bad to Hamlet. Throughout the play he seems to not care, as seen by him killing Polonius and toying with the body. However, he has a definitive view that his actions affected if he would go to heaven or hell and would not affect what would happen after death. Hamlet seems to believe this philosophy until the end when he utters his last words, “The rest is silence” (Act 5 scene 2 line 341). Hamlets last words are a powerful irony. First he supporting his previous claim that legacy dies once one has reached the afterlife. It also hints that he has avenged his father and he will “rest in silence” and he will as well. It is also ironic because the entire play Hamlet talks and talks, but all that talking leads to a silent rest, similar to Yorick and Alexander the Great.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Valerie Swisher Professor Stainton Religion 177 12 October 2014 The Concept of Liminality Death and what happens after one dies has been questioned since life began. While what happens after death has key importance in most religions, what happens between life and death can sometimes play a larger role in how death is treated. Liminality, or the period of transition between life and death, influences the steps taken after a person has died. Usually, death is viewed as a journey, one which no one can know what exactly lies ahead; because of this certain rituals and customs have been created to ensure the deceased a peaceful transition from life on earth to the next stage.... [tags: Death, Life, Afterlife, Reincarnation]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- Are you Somebody or Nobody. When I first heard “The Nobodies” by Marilyn Manson approximately five years ago, I was going through a self-image crisis. I happened to be living anyone’s most awkward phase in life: puberty. I found comfort in Marilyn Manson’s voice and lyrics, but little did I know what the song was truly written about. “The Nobodies” was written in 2001, two years after the Columbine High School Massacre. In “The Nobodies,” Marilyn Manson uses dark imagery and lyrics to convey his negative opinions of society and how it played a role in the Columbine High School Massacre.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
1191 words (3.4 pages)
- Emily Dickinson was known well for her solitude nature to the point of never leaving her house after dropping out of Mount Holyoke College. She was never fond of being out in the public light and at one point in her life even stated she thought it was ridiculous to have her poems published. This feeling of wanting to not be famous and enjoying the solitude is emphasized in her poem “I’m Nobody. Who are you. (260)” published in 1891. Using similes and pronouns Dickinson gives a sense of talking to a dear friend, the reader, on why she is happy to be nobody.... [tags: Emily Dickinson]
785 words (2.2 pages)
- Ever skipped, or stopped going to school because you just didn’t feel like it. Most can agree that we’ve at least considered it once in our lives. Think about all the free time that would be laid out for our daily lives. What would you do with it. Well, in Danny Santiago’s short story, “The Somebody”, Chato de Shamrock is a teenage Mexican boy, who decides that today is the day he quits school. Chato was part of his street’s gang (The Shamrocks), until everyone living there, except his family, were forced to move away.... [tags: Narrative mode, Narrative, Narrator]
989 words (2.8 pages)
- On July 3, 1956, a biography on boxer Rocky Graziano premiered in San Francisco, California. This biography is Robert Wise’s Somebody Up There Likes Me, which is based on an autobiography written by Graziano himself. Written by Ernest Lehman, the screenplay tells the story of Rocky’s triumph after facing disheartenment throughout most of his life. Joseph Ruttenberg, the cinematographer of this film, earned an Academy Award for Best Cinematography in 1957. Cinematography is the element that I will be basing my essay on.... [tags: Robert Wise, Ernest Lehman ]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- Teaching somebody the writing process Are you thinking about taking an English class, and then you might want to learn about how to right the best paper with a good writing process. So, there are several steps. For example, you have to review the instructions, brainstorm, write your paper, review your paper, ask your friend, type out your essay, and finally turning your paper in. With carful look at the writing process, you too can have a successful paper. First you are reading the steps to see what you are writing.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Brainstorming, Writing process]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- When looking at successful leaders of the past, each one had a hamartia, or a flaw, that destroyed their rule. For example, Hosni Mubarak of Egypt was one of the greatest rulers Egypt has ever had, but too much power lead to prison. Being in power for 30 years, Hosni Mubarak had an economic growth of 5-6% for the last 5 years, he kept peace for 30 years, he had no religious elements in politics, he gave freedom to leave and enter Egypt, he gave freedom to transfer money in and out of Egypt and had good relations with most of the world.... [tags: flaw, dies, suffers, king]
1506 words (4.3 pages)
- Investigating the Preparation and Properties of Dies Aim: To investigate the preparation and properties of dies. Introduction - Dyeing is a process of colouring materials, such as textile fibres, so that the colouring matter becomes an integral part of the fibre. Dyes, or ‘dyestuffs’, are soluble compounds that can be either absorbed and retained by the fibre or chemically combined with it. Dyes are generally fast, that is, they retain their colour in the fibre throughout the textile-making process and under exposure to normal wear, including sunlight, water, and detergent washing.... [tags: Dyeing Investigations Dye Essays]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- Nobody Ever Dies “The Complete Short Stories of Earnest Hemingway” contains many kinds of stories, with themes ranging from the comic to the serious and the macabre, among which “Nobody Ever Dies” is my favorite one. The story is about a young man named Enrique, who had been away at war for 15 months. His comrades-in-arms secretly sent him back to a house, without knowing it was being watched. Enrique was all the time listening. Someone was trying the two doors. Keeping himself out of sight, Enrique carefully looked around the house.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Life Happens For just about every kid you really enjoy high school and really don’t think about what you are going to do after you graduate other than the fact that you know you are going to continue or to college of some kind. Well then there are the others who are not thinking about where they are going to go to college, but what job they are going to find so that they can support your child that they just found out that their girlfriend is having. You talk about an eye opener for those kids.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1612 words (4.6 pages)