“Alright Yoshi, the way we are going to play this one is that we will take a hand full of these straws and cut one of them so that it is the shortest one. You will then make a fist with all the straws inserted to appear to be the same height. Whoever pulls the shortest straw loses and will have to go and check the girl.”
“Hmmm...so you are saying the loser picks the shortest straw and will have to go and check the girl and the winner does not have to. It looks like the winner gets nothing but the loser does. I don’t think I can do it this way.”
“Oh good grief Yoshi!...We don’t have time for this foolishness!” Hiroshi shouted as he snatched the straws out of Yoshi’s hand and threw them as far as he could. “Will nothing work for you?!!!”
Yoshi stood there with his mouth open, eyes peeled and glued on Hiroshi, who walked away from him to find a place to sit down, grabbing his head and gazing at the ground.
He walked over to Hiroshi, “If this is your way of trying to avoid checking on the woman, it’s not going to work.”
“What?! I’m trying to get out of checking the woman?!” said Hiroshi now standing up. “I’m trying to get out of checking the woman?”
“At least you are honest about it...I...”, said Yoshi before being quickly interrupted.
“THAT WAS NOT A CONFESSION!” yelled Hiroshi. “This is absurd!”
Hiroshi then marched back over to his previous sitting spot and practically threw himself down there, resting his head in his hands.
... middle of paper ...
...and gently pressed on Hiroshi’s bunched up eyebrows.
“Let go of your thoughts of the future Hiroshi, embrace this moment. This is now your chance with destiny, make the most of it.”
Hiroshi relaxed his eyebrows, took a deep breath and let go of his thoughts as he exhaled. Then Master shin rested his hands on the sides of Hiroshi’s shoulders, like he had often done when he was a child.
“I’ve watched you grow from the age of six over the last eleven years and develop into a strong and wise young man,” said Master Shin with teary eyes as he embraced him like a son. “I have taught you everything I know…everything.”
“Hey. Hiroshi! Can you hear me?”asked Yoshi, tugging on his shoulder. “I said what are you going to do?”
For a few moments he looked at Yoshi in silence before turning towards Mayu’s body, “One can not run from his own fate. I will do what must be done.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It all started when my head was slumped onto a scribbled desk in the seventh grade of Starling Middle School. I was already tired of listening to my English teacher drone on and on about whatever it was we were (he was) talking about and it had only been ten minutes. Then he brought up reading logs; You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding me. Reading. At the time, I would rather have stepped on a lego. I remember him saying something about going upstairs to the school library and choosing a book to read for the week with a partner, but I had dismissed it because there was no way I, Maelona Garth, was going to do anything that involved my two eyes moving horizontally across a piece of paper with alie... [tags: High school, Middle school, Uglies, Library]
1045 words (3 pages)
- ... On Quixote’s second adventure he met Sancho Panzo. Sancho Panzo was a man who reluctantly left his wife in hopes of becoming governor of an aisle. Sancho Panzo could have called Don Quixote on his bluff based on his appearance and the poor condition of his horse. Yet he still decided to go anyways based on his own greed. Sancho witnesses Quixote fighting windmills as if they were giants. Therefore, Don Quixote is crazy, but only as crazy as the as the other members of the community. How can they recognize that he is crazy when they’re the same way.... [tags: Miguel de Cervantes masterpiece novel]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- George Orwell’s “1984” is a novel about a negative utopian society ruled by an oppressive tyrannical ruler known as Big Brother. The novel creates its own world that takes place in Oceania, a province of Airstrip One. The residents of Oceania follow a strict code of laws, and live their lives in fear and hate. The novel takes place roughly in the year 1984. The residents in the city of London, which is in the province of Oceania, are constantly monitored by a “telescreen”. This is a two way screen that could be diminished in sound but never fully turned off.... [tags: book report, book summary]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- I draw my feet up into the leather recliner. Hug my knees to my chest. The chair is sage green. The wall’s a boring beige color. The room is freezing. I don’t know why they keep it so cold. Maybe so we won’t stay any longer than we have to. If I could I’d stay forever, because here is better than home with Frank. Dr. Beaker slides his pen in the pocket of his shirt and shuts my swollen file, laying it on the floor by his chair. He leans forward, elbows on his knees, his hands cupped. Never has he looked at me so solidly in the eyes.... [tags: Debut albums, 2007 singles, 2006 albums]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- o 7) Ecclesiastes 1:2-18, 2:1-24, 3, 9:2-12, 12:1-9 Summary: Throughout Ecclesiastes, a “Teacher” is introduced. The Teacher insists everything is “meaningless.” The Teacher goes into detail using almost analogies to say that everything is meaningless. The Teacher also says that wisdom, pleasures, wisdom and folly, and toil are meaningless. The Teacher also says that we should live while we can under God and says we live similar lives to animals in that we live and we die and how we choose to live our lives is one thing, while what happens after is meaningless.... [tags: Greek mythology, Trojan War, Odysseus, Odyssey]
1581 words (4.5 pages)
- Reading stories for me is an important way to know things that no one else will tell you. Sometimes it may be boring to read and all you want is to get to the point instead of going step by step with a story. What we don’t know is that going step by step helps us to learn and better understand details that we won’t notice in a movie. Made up stories also impacts our life because we believe what we read and it takes us to places that in real life won’t happen. Watching a video/movie is not the same if you don’t read with details what you’re about to see.... [tags: Psychology, Attention, Want, Fiction]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- Stop Trashing the Climate – Summary and Analysis Summary Aiming for zero waste by reducing waste and expanding reuse, recycling, and composting programs is the fastest, cheapest, and most effective strategy for combating climate change. The United States in particular is responsible for a large portion of the world’s total waste output. The government assessment of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from waste is not accurate because it doesn’t take into consideration the fact that new resources must be extracted to replace waste that is buried or burned.... [tags: Carbon dioxide, Greenhouse gas, United States]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Teacher Interview Interview Question Summary 1. How has the student composition in the special classroom changed over time. Though this is not something that I personally experienced, I am aware that more students with disabilities are being educated now than forty years ago. Education systems have worked to create a better environment for these students. This environment is as free from restrictions as possible and challenges the individual. It did not use to be this way. Some disabilities were excluded.... [tags: personal communication essay]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- IT. THE SNORPIAN. KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT. Akemi was unfamiliar with the term snorpian, but she could only assume Corny was referring to the creature they called Red. “He 's an intelligent Corny, we can 't just kill him for no reason, please try to calm down and tell me why you 're so upset.” The unicorn just stared at her, she was breathing hard and seemed very skittish, Akemi was afraid that she was about to bolt, so she changed the subject. “Corny, has something happened to Longflame. Tell me why you 're here.” The unicorn did nothing for a long minute except stare at Akemi, her breathing slowly returned to normal and finally she began to think speak to Akemi.... [tags: 2007 singles, English-language films]
1659 words (4.7 pages)
- Don Quixote is a very long novel, but its basic plot is fairly simple. A certain middle-aged gentleman named Alonso Quixano has read so many romantic stories about the knights of the Middle Ages that he goes out of his mind and imagines that he really is a knight. He also imagines that he is in love with a princess named Dulcinea-in reality a local girl who has never paid any attention to him. Changing his name to Don Quixote de la Mancha, he puts on a rusty old suit of armor and sets forth in search of adventure.... [tags: Don Quixote Literature Summary Review Analysis]
938 words (2.7 pages)