I bang my clenched fist on his door one more time then the door flies open, hinges squeaking obnoxiously, and there in the doorway stands Tub.
“I’m ready, I’m ready, okay let’s go to dinner.” Tub mutters under his breath in a husky voice, rolling his eyes at my restlessness.
We walk together through the colorful fallen foliage on the street down past the library and up towards the dining hall. We walk in silence, save the crunch of leaves under foot and Tub’s heavy breathing, which soon becomes too irritating for me to bear and I try to strike up a conversation.
“So Tub, how’s the weight loss going?”
He sticks up his nose up to the sky and defensively states, “For your information, I am on a new diet.”
“Good job, Tub! I’m really proud of you! You’re taking initiative!”
“Yeah...it’s great...” he says slowly and slightly apprehensively, his head now down and his eyes on his shoelaces. For some reason that I can’t quite put my finger on, his words sound forced.
We walk inside to meet the loud hustle and bustle of the packed dining hall. We jostle and squeeze our way over to grab our plates, still warm from the dish room, and then I make my way towards the smell of hamburgers. I am just about to pick up one of the meat patties and drop it on my plate when I realize that Tub is no longer standing next to me. I look around in the crowd of people and finally spot him at the salad bar. I am so proud of Tub, he really is trying to take care of the whole weight issue. I walk over to the salad bar.
“I’m just getting a salad tonight,” he tells me proudly, “just a salad.” He painstakingly picks up a few pieces of lettuce and a tomato and puts them on his plate. Trying to help, I offe...
... middle of paper ...
“This whole diet is a fake,” he blurts out. “I’m not really trying to get thin, the truth is I’m getting fatter than ever.”
“But what about dinner?” I ask, “You ate a salad with light dressing!”
“It’s just a part of the facade. I lead a double life, like a secret agent. I try pretend to be healthy and make a big deal out of just eating a salad for dinner and all that, but when I get back to the dorm I stuff as much candy and junk food into my mouth as possible! I haven’t told anyone my secret until now, not even my roommate knows about my secret stash of food I keep underneath my bed. My family doesn’t know either.”
“Tub, why all this secrecy? Why didn’t you tell me before? I hope you know I am always here for you. I know it takes a lot of courage to tell me your secret and I’m glad you are telling me. I accept you Tub, there’s no need to keep secrets.”
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A Tale of a Tub is a mass of text seemingly thrown together with the purpose of deliberately confusing the reader, but its digressions upon digressions cannot mask the inevitable theme of loss, which is ultimately found in all of Swift's works. The satire holds the present against an ideal of past perfection, and the comparison always shows the modern to be lacking. The church adulterates religion; moderns, the ancients; critics, the author. The narrator of Swift’s text seems to believe that the moment a great work or idea is put forth, it can be pure, but will always degrade with time.... [tags: Tale of a Tub Essays]
2260 words (6.5 pages)
- Aware of the serious financial situation the State of Illinois finds itself in, the Illinois Library Association is concerned that the role of libraries in the economic and cultural life of Illinois citizens might be under-represented in current and future budget negotiations. In an effort to help prevent this under-representation, the ILA Advocacy Committee sponsored a one day “Snapshot of A Day in the Life of Illinois Libraries”. DuPage Library System’s Denise Zielinski proposed the idea at the committee’s inaugural meeting in September.... [tags: Legislative Advocacy ]
1709 words (4.9 pages)
- Every film can be related back to socially significant issues that occurred during the time it was released. It’s a snapshot of the issues during that time period. Film is not created in a vacuum. As described in our textbook, film “Conveys “the temper of an age of a nation” as well as that of the artists who produces it” (Belton 22). Films tend to reflect current society, country ideals or beliefs in order for the audience to relate. Some of those techniques used include, the American dream, family, corruption, divorce, and crime.... [tags: Film Analysis, Current Social Issues]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Personality Psychology Essay II Hillarie Larks Professor Herzoff Personality Psychology 7 December 2014 Self-Esteem Test Snapshot Report Ability to Deal with Rejection 84 The potential of being rejected by others as a result of who you are or what you do is not something that you allow yourself to worry about. If people don 't accept you the way you are, you are not going to go out of your way to attain their approval. Granted, rejection by someone in your life may very well hurt you, but you won 't let it dictate how you feel about yourself.... [tags: Personality disorder]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- This identity memo about me is only a snapshot. My intent is to reflect on where I am currently and on where I am heading. Herein I will briefly focus on some of my values and how it relates to education within my family and my culture. I will also shed light on my goals and what led me to pursue this MPH degree and if there were changes along the way. Next, I will reflect on my health or family influenced my assumption of public health, and my overall assumptions about people, health, and health care utilization.... [tags: Health, Health care, Health economics]
1666 words (4.8 pages)
- Hi (First Name). This is Robert Painter with (PRODUCT) and I just received your internet request. What feature did you read about the Jacuzzi Hydrotherapy Walk-in Tub online that prompted you to find out more information. (Probe on Cue) STEP 1 FINDING THE PAIN (Listen for cues and probe 10-15 questions) * Describe for me the challenges you are having getting in and out of the tub you have now. Probe: (Oh you’ve had __________, how does that affect you?) * Has this ever caused you to have a fall.... [tags: Decision making, Decision theory]
1637 words (4.7 pages)
- ... You will need such items as your pay stubs, your checkbook register and any bank statements. Now you need to assign each item to a list. Each will be income or a fixed or variable expense. With everything neatly laid out before you, it will be easy to see where you money is coming from and where it is going. The next step in this process is to take financial control and trim any excess from your budget. Often just by seeing all your information written down you become more aware of expenses.... [tags: snapshot of curretn monetary affairs]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- A Snapshot of Computer Hacking Computer hacking has been around for over fifty years. Anytime new technology comes to the fore front, there are individuals who want to expand upon it. Hacking in general terms, is simply taking a technology and trying to improve upon it without the permission of the owner. I want to point out two terms that I will use throughout the paper, hacker and cracker. A hacker is a person who has extensive computer knowledge and enjoys tackling technical issues.... [tags: Internet]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- ..::CIS Snapshot::.. When I think of CIS one thing always comes to mind. My first day. No, not my first day this year. The day I’m referring to was the first time I ever came to CIS last year. Near completion of the Danish “Folke Skole” you have to choose and apply to various “Gymnasiums” much like applying for university after high school in the states. One of the schools I wanted to attend was CIS. I asked my supervisor if she couldn’t arrange a day where I could go to CIS and see what the IB programme was all about.... [tags: essays research papers]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- Philippines Country Snapshot Basic facts Population 86.97 million (2006 est.)* GDP PHP 1364.5 B (Q1 2006 est.)* Main languages Tagalog, English, Spanish GDP real growth rate 5.8% (2006 est.)** Currency Philippine Peso (PHP) Inflation 6.3% (Aug 2006 est.)* Economic communities Asia Pacific Economic Co-operation, Association of South-East Asian Nations, World Trade Organization *National Statistics Office (Philippines) ** Philippine Institute of Development Studies Political environment The Philippines is a pluralist democracy modeled on that of the US, with an executive presidency, a bicameral Congress and a Supreme Court that can rule on the constitutio... [tags: International Business FDI]
1104 words (3.2 pages)