For my service learning project, I went to Jan Brzechwy Polish School to volunteer. I had a great experience, and I did not expect it to go that smoothly. This experience allowed me to visit the same Polish school that I attended for twelve years every Friday night. Although it was hard giving up my Fridays to learn Polish, I am so grateful that I did because knowing the language that my parents know and communicate with is rewarding even though we primarily speak in English to each other. The students primarily spoke English to us because they knew how, but I did speak Polish to some of the students who were working on their assignments. This experience was beneficial because I was able to help students one on one and see them become more comfortable.
As far as my skills go, I know that being able to speak the language definitely helped because the students were attending the school in order to learn Polish. Since I was able to speak the language, I understood what the students were saying while also understanding the teacher. I really enjoy working with students and providing assistance, and I was able to do that which was rewarding. I also was able to give a student who did not bring lunch a snack because I had it with me, and I figured that she might need it more than I do. Sometimes we, as people, do not think about the little things we do and how they add up, but I can say that the smile on the girls face and how she slowly ate the fruit snacks in order to savor them meant the world to me. I was looking around, and a lot of the other students had food, and the teacher asked them to lend her something since she did not bring her food, but no one offered. Once I gave her the fruit snacks, another student...
... middle of paper ...
...ined whether or not I would pass high school, at six in the morning. I had to have thirty questions and answers memorized in Polish because it was verbal, and I was really stressed, but I knew it had to be done, and I showed myself that I can achieve things with enough effort and determination.
In conclusion, I gained a lot from this experience. I was able to see how much being able to speak Polish paid off in the classroom, and I was also able to realize how important it is to preserve a culture and traditions by initiating bilingual programs. I think a big idea that I have is to share my story and tell other people that learning a language pays off because I did not realize that until I volunteered and was able to speak with the students and understand them. This experience helped me strengthen my decision to become an educator, and it was an unforgettable one.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Every Leader has his or her own idea of what leadership is, but not everyone thinks the same way. In general, Leaders are those who know how to create a vision, achieve goals and motivate people along the way. My definition of leadership is having the ability to create a vision, motivate people to work collaboratively toward achieving a common objective. I found that my participation in the Service Learning project was enlightening and had a positive effect on my life as a whole. I appreciated the invigoration that I felt as I involved myself in hands-on service to others and for the greater good of the community as a whole.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership, Management]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- I opted to do the service learning project as opposed to the movie review or term paper because prior to this class, I had already devoted over 200 hours to the Southcliff Baptist Children’s Ministry. The beginnings of Southcliff go back to 1901 or 1902, Mrs. A.J. (Kate) Parks began the Seventh Ward Mission alongside Broadway Baptist Church. In October 1904, the Kentucky Avenue Baptist Church was formed out of the Seventh Ward Mission and met at an unused building. The church had about thirty members, and John R.... [tags: Christian terms, Christianity, 1988, 1902]
716 words (2 pages)
- The thought of community service was a bore to me before I began my volunteer work. I dreaded starting my community service although I knew I had to do it. Where I earned my hours did not even matter to me. I just wanted to get it over with. To my surprise it was not what I expected. Community service was not a painful experience; it was a very enjoyable and beneficial experience. I performed my community service with Habitat for Humanity. The non‐profit organization chooses the applicant that purchases the house and Habitat only charges them the cost of the materials.... [tags: Volunteer Work, Service Learning]
517 words (1.5 pages)
- Service-Learning Reflection Paper Over the last semester, working with the Burnett County Health Department has allowed me to grow in my professional field as well as in my personal life. Allowing me with opportunities to work with the community and better their overall health status. Understanding our project is important in learning the significance of our service here at Burnett County health department. Over the last few months, we have discovered many statistics that are beneficial to understanding the health status in Burnett County, WI.... [tags: Health, Nursing, Epidemiology, Understanding]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." - Albert Schweitzer Each community is like a human body, it requires a constant life force to survive. Volunteers and community service workers are the blood that maintains our communities. It fortifies our foundations. A community is only as strong as the weakest link. We must empower those weakened by poverty, discrimination and other social injustices.... [tags: Community Service Essays]
1757 words (5 pages)
- School, when some people hear the word, they usually think that school is learning new things in a room. However, it is something that cannot be described only in the textbook. Service learning is “an union of community service and formal learning. It involves students going out into their communities and using that which they learn in class to help people, and then bringing that which they learn in their community service back into the classroom to enhance their learning.”(Minor, 2001) Diane Murakami who is an ELL (English Language Learners) teacher at Queen Ka’ahumanu Elementary School in Honolulu.... [tags: ESL Students]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- What determines the components of a successful individual. Education is a critical part of what creates prosperous people, but positive character is just as important. "We must remember that intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education. " (Martin Luther King Jr. quoted in Haynes and Thomas) Character is not an inherited trait, and it is also not a part of most common core curriculums. Therefore, service learning and character education should be implemented in schools along with civic learning (textbook learning) to provide the most beneficial tools in molding future members of society.... [tags: Successful Person, Education, Intelligence]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Community Service and Service Learning Defined: To compare community service and service learning it is necessary that each are defined. Community service is defined in the Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary as, “work that people do to help other people without payment, and which young criminals whose crime was not was not serious enough for them to be put in prison are forced to do”(Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary 2004). Community service is simply as it is defined work done for free, that carries along with it a slave labor tone.... [tags: essays papers]
2033 words (5.8 pages)
- On an average night in our community, there are around 9,500 individuals and families without a place to stay, according to the State Research Group on Homelessness and Poverty (2009). Because of this fact, there is a desperate need for shelter and volunteers to serve at these shelters. There are only 1,995 emergency beds, which is not enough to accommodate all of the homeless, and there is an even smaller number of workers willing to volunteer. The Homeless Center offers beds and meals to the homeless, working poor, and unemployed.... [tags: Volunteering, Volunteer]
1836 words (5.2 pages)
- Service Learning in College Service learning provides college students with a whole new method of learning. This type of learning provides a student with an experience outside of the classroom in their area of concentration. Emily Knab, a college student at the University of Miami, has experienced service learning and found it very beneficial in her area of interest. Emily is studying education and wants to become a teacher in the future. She performed her service learning at an elementary school, focusing her attention on the third grade.... [tags: Essays Papers Education Teaching Style]
1635 words (4.7 pages)
- Challenges Of Online Shopping Users
- How Do We Change Our Lives?
- The Media Portrayal Of The Film, Amour, And The Trials Of Georges And Anne
- Leadership Research : Leadership And Motivation
- A Brief Note On The Saudi Arabia, An Independent City State Dominated By The Tribe Of Quraysh
- The Job Is A Short Book By Eric T