In 2013 approximately 1.2 million abortions took place in the United States. From 1973 through 2013, over 50 million legal abortions have occurred. Even though an abortion can harm your body, women still get them and take the risk of future health problems or even death. In this essay you will learn the pros and cons of having an abortion. This paper will explain all of the harmful ways abortions can harm your body and also how they may affect you in a positive and in a negative way. It will also help you understand why people decide to get an abortion or why they decide not to get them. Even though you may not agree with the decision of abortion, you have to have an open mind to other people’s decisions and opinions towards them.
Over several centuries and in different cultures there is a deep history of women helping each other to abort (Boston’s women help). Abortion is often presented as if it is new and people have just started doing it years ago, when in reality the practice of abortion has dated back to ancient times. Until the 1800’s, women healers in the Western Europe and in the United States provided abortions and trained other women to do so. The earliest known Description of abortion comes from Ebers Papyrus, an ancient Egyptian medical text. They suggested that an abortion can be performed with the use of a plant-fiber tampon covered with compounds such as honey and crushed dates. Later the herbal abortion included the long extinct silphium plant. This was the most prized medicinal plant of the ancient world, and pennyroyal which is still sometimes used to induce abortions (but not safely as these can be highly toxic) (Gram). As far as we know surgical abortion was not common until the end of the 19th century. ...
... middle of paper ...
... The choice Is yours.
"when did abortion start." http://civilliberty.about.com/od/abortion/f/When-Did-Abortion-Begin.htm. Memephis Women's Clinic, n.d. Web. 12 Feb 2014.
"abortion physical side effects." http://citationmachine.net/index2.php?start=&lastName=&firstName=&title1=when did abortion start. American Pregnancy Association, n.d. Web. 12 Feb 2014.
"Why Do Women Have Abortions? New Study Provides Some Answers." http://www.lifenews.com/2013/10/10/why-do-women-have-abortions-new-study-provides-some-answers. American Pregnancy Association, n.d. Web. 12 Feb 2014.
G, Amber. "what does abortion do to the baby." http://answers.yahoo.com/question/ind. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Feb 2014.
supreme court, . "Roe v Wade." http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt/rights/landmark_roe.html. American Pregnancy Association, n.d. Web. 12 Feb 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abortion is the medical procedure when it is induced on purpose to extract the fetus from the uterus. When abortion occurs without purpose, it is usually referred to as miscarriage; such instance causes psychological problems in a woman and affects her perception of the fetus. The number of moral and ethical considerations on the problem of abortions can be considered from a variety of perspectives that include economic, medical, social, and religious aspects of the phenomenon. Many case studies are based on the need to make a choice, especially when talking about professional duties of doctors and such medical practices, as Hippocratic Oath.... [tags: miscarriage, abortion, fetal anomalies]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- The topic of abortion is one of the most controversial issues in today’s society. Thousands of abortions take place every single day, and yet public opinion remains at a standstill as to whether or not abortion is ethical or not. According to a poll in 2013, fifty-four percent of the American public believes that the practice of abortion should be legal in all or most cases (“Public Opinion on Abortion”) Abortion has been defined as “the act of removing a human embryo or fetus from the uterus of a pregnant woman prior to the completion of the full term of pregnancy”(Rich, Wagner, and Geraldine).... [tags: Abortion Essays]
1610 words (4.6 pages)
- Many human beings consider abortion as something cruel and unnatural for destroying a little living being life. Why you may think. Because that little living being didn’t tell you that they wanted to come into this world. There can be pros and cons about abortion it all depends in the situation that you are in. But, have you ever thought about how dangerous abortion is to the baby and yourself. Have you done research about it. See what clinic is the very best and how much will it cost. Before you think about all these questions ask yourself first.... [tags: dangerous, regre, commit, legal, crime]
799 words (2.3 pages)
- Pros and Cons of Abortion Should a list of pros and cons of abortion really be necessary for Christians...or human beings for that matter. I mean, have we really reached a point where we cannot tell that abortion is murderous no matter how you color it or try to paint it as compassionate. Apparently so. Thirty plus years after the infamous Supreme Court decision in Roe versus Wade and thirty one years after my own timely birth, I sit in awe at the ignorance of a great portion of society...their lack of understanding, their selfishness, and their brazen support of such a horrendous practice as abortion.... [tags: Religion Christianity Abortion Ethics Essays]
3511 words (10 pages)
- Before 1820 abortion was legal and practiced, despite the fact that it was a dangerous procedure and more often than not resulted in the death of the mother. it wasn't until after 1821 that abortion started to become regulated and laws were set in place (lewis 2011). in 1879 the first law to be set up was in Connecticut, it was targeted towards merchants that sold poisons to cause miscarriages and drugs to prevent pregnancy and banned the use of the products. By the late 1800s even though abortion was illegal in most states it was still done under the table.... [tags: Abortion Pros and Cons]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Abortion is the act of deliberately causing death to an unborn baby (Abortion 1). When dealing with genetics and other life sciences it can be proven that a new and completely unique human being comes into existence within the instant of conception (When Does Life Begin. When Does 1). Within 5-6 weeks the baby will have begun to live inside his or her mother. During this time, which is when the mother usually discovers the pregnancy, the baby will have already begun to metabolize nutrition, excrete waste, move, grow, and numerous other acts.... [tags: Pros and Cons of Abortion]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- This essay will evaluate advantages and disadvantages, moral, religious and ethical aspects of selective abortion, which promotes women’s well-being, physical and mental health. Surgical abortion is an abortion, carried out for different purposes, and accompanied or caused by the death of the fetus. The procedure of the deliberating termination of a human pregnancy is known since ancient times. Kapparis Konstantinos (2002) wrote in his book “Abortion in the Ancient world” that the word abortion came frоm thе Lаtіn “abortus” where “ab” means “amiss” and “oriri” means “likely to be born, arise”.... [tags: Argumentative Essay, Pro-Con Essays]
2639 words (7.5 pages)
- Your body is yours to do as you please. For some they argue yes, while others are completely against it. When talking about your body it is a reference to drugs, Abortion and prostitution, when these words are brought up people views change completely. Although many views I will only highlight a select few but there is a huge debate in each one of these topics. Another huge point is the government controlling people gun rights, in recent light of Obama threatening to take away guns from the American people this has sparked a huge debate in our country.... [tags: controversial topics discussion]
1967 words (5.6 pages)
- Nowadays, in this world, there are a lot of problems that can make tremendous conflicts for human beings. They are very complicated and bring a lot of argument and nobody knows what the exact answer is. They also have pros and cons. One of the most complex problems is abortion. This is due to moral and ethical values which we all have. The majority of us are Christians or are brought up in that kind of ambiance which means that as small children we were taught values that are based on the bible such as that famous phrase “Thou shall not kill”.... [tags: Abortion Reasearch Papers]
1188 words (3.4 pages)
- It is considered by World Health Organization that one fourth of all the progenies in the world terminate in induced abortion. More precisely, the number of induced abortion is nearly 50 million every year（Berer, M., 2000 ）. Induced abortion means “abortion brought on deliberately by drugs or mechanical means” (Stedman, T. L.，2008). It can be defined as an abortion that is preceded initiatively, which is opposite to spontaneous abortion. According to World HeaWHO (1993), every year the number of woman who chooses abortion is about 1.5 million in United States.... [tags: Ethical, Moral, Pros and Cons]
2315 words (6.6 pages)