I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to my academic supervisor professor Wayne Lord, for his meticulous support and guidance and inspiration throughout this dissertation. I consider it a privilege to have had the opportunity to work with him and gain from his invaluable knowledge and expertise. I am so grateful to have studied under the able leadership of all the teachers from the construction project management department of civil and building engineering Loughborough University.
I appreciate and acknowledge the backing from my parents throughout the program.
Without their help, the data collection process would not have been so smooth and the data would not be of such high quality.
I would like to heartily thank my fiancée Jenita for guiding me and being with me in my difficult times. A special thanks to my friends Zack and Jay for their unconditional support in my time of need. I would also like to thank my classmates for helping me through this project.
Finally, I thank all the respondents for their willing help, without which this research could not have been successful.
The last few years in the business history of the United Kingdom has witnessed the ups and downs in terms of business collaborations such as in the case of collaboration between UK and Vietnamese technology companies or so. The business and legal experts were curious to know the reasons behind the development. On the bright side, there were emergence of Asia and Africa as attractive inves...
... middle of paper ...
...gure 6: summary of barriers to collaboration 40
Figure 7: Question 5 - is high cost of collaborations a reason for the lack of impetus in collaborative efforts? 42
Figure 8: Figure 8: question 6 - do conflict of interest situations affect collaborative efforts? 45
Figure 9: Question 7 - how often do both parties work together currently in case of a deadlock? 47
List of tables
Table 1: Tme horizon 28
Table 2: Views of professors 53
List of Abbreviations
SME Small or Medium Enterprise
ERP Enterprise Resource Planning
LLP Limited Liability Partnership
FTSE Financial Times Stock Exchange
PSC Public Service Commission
OFT Office of Fair Trading
FSA Financial Services Authority
CMA Comparative Market Analysis
UK United Kingdom
EU European Union
JV Joint venture
NES National Electrical Code
CIOB The charted institute of building
JCT Joint Contracts Tribunal
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL AND NATURAL RESOURCES ENGINEERING UNIVERSITY OF CANTERBURY ENCM620A CONSTRUCTION PROCUREMENT AND CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION Research Assignment Vivek Thirani (22008066) 10/16/2015 Maintaining equality in terms of sharing the profits and losses equally between the client and the contractor in an alliance delivery model. ABSTRACT 1. INTRODUCTION 1.1 Background The New Zealand construction industry is a large and highly diverse sector of industrial activity that provides, maintains and manages the fixed infrastructure for people to live and work.... [tags: Construction, Project management, Project]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- Construction Management During a flight to New York, I read an article highlighting Auburn University online Masters Program illustrated in Sky Magazine. At this point, I understood these principles intuitively, it produced in me a strong urge to learn and understand the complex theory behind the working of construction management. To elaborate more on my penchant for Construction Management and how the industry that has changed many lives. Throughout my career, Construction Management has always fascinated me.... [tags: Project management, Construction, Management]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Statement of purpose “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” I would like to start by going back to the initial days of Engineering where I was not sure about doing Engineering but as the days passed I started realizing the step that I took could not have been better .I was fascinated by the laboratories and field work of Civil Engineering and my interest for the subject started growing .Moreover, I had always had to believe that education which cannot help in the growth of the society is of no value which ensured my step of doing my under graduation in Civil Engineering .... [tags: Civil Engineering, Construction]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- Emergency management has been in the process of transforming itself into a recognized profession over the past several decades. During the last quarter of the 20th century, training and experience in preparing for, responding to and recovering from disasters and hazardous incidents were considered the path to becoming an emergency manager; the title was not always there but the responsibilities were shouldered by someone who took responsibility for those functions. Since the late 1990’s, the field of emergency management has expanded to include programs of higher education which have added a much needed third dimension to that progression.... [tags: Emergency Management ]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Environmental degradation has begun just after the immense human civilization. In recent decades, it has become a major concern for highly populated and developing country like Bangladesh, which has inadequate natural resources also numerous environmental challenges yet to resolve. For this reason, I am motivated to pursue the Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Concentration in Environmental Engineering) degree in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at The University of Texas at San Antonio.... [tags: Water, Hydrology, Groundwater, Water pollution]
1049 words (3 pages)
- ... My understanding further broadened with 2 internships of 2 weeks each that I underwent during my under graduation. The first internship was at Trident and Oberoi Hotels, Hyderabad where I was engaged in the design and execution of pile foundation and the pile load testing activity. As a result, I grasped the construction sequence of bored cast in-situ pile and its respective load testing using Kentledge method. My second internship was at Airport Authority of India site (Puducherry airport) where I was actively involved in the part execution of 1800m long runway.... [tags: experience, constuction, career]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- No matter which way we look, the world is growing with more demand for creative and peculiar constructions with strong infrastructure. Chiang Mai, the city I currently live in is no different from the rest of the world, growing richer with buildings. To see the city’s style change into an environment with more human’s intervention made me realize that the shape of society is now in our hands. Together with the growing concerns of natural disasters and population growth, I realized civil engineers play a crucial role in every societies, designing more efficient structures that can provide safety and happiness, which attracted my interest into being one.... [tags: infrastructure, education, society]
571 words (1.6 pages)
- It gives me great pleasure to write this letter in support of Mr. Auli Kusuma’s application for an permanent resident visa as an outstanding scientist of an exceptional ability. It is my personal assessment the Mr. Kusuma’s professional qualification and his continuing application of project management, strategic planning and cost engineering skills in the United States will enhance our nation’s competitiveness. Mr. Kusuma is an outstanding scientist with excellent background in project management, strategic planning and cost engineering and has significant achievements in the energy industry including benchmarking, cost estimation and cost assurance.... [tags: Project management, Management, Cost overrun]
953 words (2.7 pages)
- Personal Statement My passion in engineering and science is, in part, due to my Grandfather, who is the deputy director of one of the research institutions at the Chinese Academy of Science. Influenced by the atmosphere of scientific and intellectual conversation, I have been exposed to cutting edge technology my entire life. In particular, my interest in material science can be traced back to my explorations in civil engineering and mechanical engineering at Stony Brook. In my freshman and sophomore years, I was taking a lot of civil engineering and mechanical engineering courses, through which I discovered that the major breakthroughs in those fields were at the material level nowadays.... [tags: engineering, research projects, technology]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- Civil Engineering Throughout my lifetime, I have never had to think very much about the working world and everything that went with it. All through high school I took classes I liked or thought would be interesting to me, but never thought that all of those classes were preparing me for what was to come. Before I knew it, it was time to go to college. The four years of high school had flown by and now it was time to choose a major for college. I had never given much thought as to what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.... [tags: essays papers]
1849 words (5.3 pages)