A Baby is a very young child ,one newly or recently born , Usually the youngest member of a family. A Pregnancy is the condition of a woman or female animal that is going to have a baby or babies. A Pregnancy usually last 280 days from the time of last menstruation. ( “Infant Mental Health Journal” Michigan Association for Infant Mental Health .Vol33 95) , 477-488 (2012) ).
A premature baby is one who is born too early, before 37 weeks. Premature babies may have more health problems and may need to stay in the hospital longer than babies born later. Preemies have many special needs that make their care different from that of full-term infants, which is why they often begin their lives after delivery in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). The NICU is designed to provide an atmosphere that limits stress to the infant and meets basic needs of warmth, nutrition, and protection to ensure proper growth and development. ( “ The Free Dictionary “ ;2014 Fartex Inc http://www.thefreedictionary.com/baby )
Premature babies may have more health problems and may need to stay in the hospital longer than babies born later, they also may have long-term health problems that can affect their whole lives. Apnea is one of the most common problems occurring with premature babies. Apnea of prematurity is defined as cessation of breathing by a premature infant that lasts for more than 15 seconds and/or is accompanied by hypoxia or bradycardia. Apnea occurs when there is a lack of respirator...
... middle of paper ...
...–Kalungi, George W. Pariyo, Peter waiswa, Tropical “Medicine and International Health “(Dec 2) Vol : 15 No iopp 1140-1147 Oct.
Stray-Pederson B. Saastad E, Froen J , Tveit J , Borda Store Praksis variasjoner ved reduse forsteraktiviet [ clinical Practice variation in reduce fetal movement ] ( In Norweg ) Ticknor Laegeforen (2005); 125: 2631-4
Stroebe W, Schut H. Grief Work disclosure and counseling: Do they help the bereaved clin psycho rev (2005) ; 25 : 395 – 414
Spitz B , Derny Henderek, and Van Bussell JC. Anxiety in pregnant and post partum women . An exploration study of role of maternal orientations J. Affection discord (2009) ; 114 : 232-42
“The Free Wikipedia “; Apnes 21 December 2013; 17:31 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/apnea
YuanLuole, Shiming Lu , Zhou Jiang , Guang Yong , “ The Journal of Maternal Fetal and Neonatal Medicine July ( 2011);24 (7): 960-965
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Premature Birth: The Life of a Premature Baby “Babies born before thirty-seven weeks of gestation are classified of premature”, (Boenker). Premature babies usually are underweight and highly need specialty medical care. “The number of premature births is increasing and occurs in eight to ten percent of all pregnancies in the United States” (“Premature Baby Stats”). Premature births can cause lifetime affects on infants as well as life changing events for their families. Some of the causes of premature births are: Previous premature birth, miscarriage, or multiple abortions.... [tags: premature babies, underweight]
1828 words (5.2 pages)
- A baby’s arrival can be very joyful for a first time mother in a way that it brings particular challenges and experiences that could change a life forever. When a baby is born premature it can discomfort the family knowing that they’re child is at risk and even exposed to death. Some of the premature babies come for the first time in the world with a defect that causes agony in the family and especially in the mother. Premature babies are a very important issue in today’s society because it involves the health of a new born.... [tags: Dangers, Funding Medical Care]
1512 words (4.3 pages)
- Visualize a premature newborn, attached to machines pumping oxygen and medication, simply due to being diagnosed with a debilitating disease known as viral pneumonia. The baby now has to undergo several expensive treatments in order to survive. Many premature babies and their parents undergo these procedures on a day-to-day basis. Viral pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs due to a harmful virus (Benson 74). There are many catastrophic causes and symptoms of viral pneumonia in premature babies, the disease can be cured with treatment and proper prevention.... [tags: infection, inflamation of the lungs]
1051 words (3 pages)
- ... This incubator is cost effective and could be used in parts of the world where there is limited electricity (VETA Invents Incubator for Premature Children, 2013). Although neonatal care has made great progress and survival rates have gone up, people still think that it is a waste of money, effort, and time to save premature babies. As this topic is linked with both abortion and religion, huge medical and religious debate rages have risen over the past years. Several people who support premature babies were outraged when guidelines were published advising doctors not to resuscitate premature babies who were born 22 weeks before` their actual due date.... [tags: ventilator, infant respiratory]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- A premature baby is born before 36 or 37 weeks of a female 's pregnancy. Premature infants are born too soon and do not have the capacity to survive on their own. Their organs are immature. These newborn children have a tendency to be underweight and needing earnest consideration. Being an premature child can be the essential enemy of all babies. The rate of untimely children have ascended tremendously. Somewhere around 8 and 10 percent of them have been birthed in the United States (“"National Prematurity Awareness Month.”).... [tags: Childbirth, Preterm birth, Cervix]
1610 words (4.6 pages)
- During a severe blizzard, a 25 year-old Caucasian woman named Linda arrives at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA after being in labor for over thirty hours at home. Being only 28 weeks pregnant, she was hoping that her contractions would be able to be stopped. Unfortunately the delivery was not able to be interrupted and she delivered a premature baby boy named David at 28 weeks gestation; weighing only 1400 grams. Due to the difficult labor, and baby David being a Frank breech, David was delivered via caesarian section.... [tags: premature babies, breathing, health]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- Premature Infancy Premature babies, otherwise known as preterm babies, or preemies, are babies that are born earlier than the full-term of thirty-eight to forty-two weeks of pregnancy. These babies are generally born between the twentieth and thirty-eighth week. Almost 250,000 babies, nearly seven percent of newborns, are premature(Golant 4). Prematurity, even with all the advances in technology, is still a major cause of fetal and neonatal death. Actually, around seventy- five percent of perinatal deaths are due to a number of problems associated with prematurity(Freeman 232).... [tags: Babies Birth Early Premature Essays]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- I want to be a neonatal nurse practitioner, the reason I want to become a neonatal nurse is because I have a real soft spot for baby. To be a neonatal nurse you have to give special attention to all type of babies. You have to focuses on taking care of ill or newborn infants. You don’t just have to work with infants you will have to work with the family members. I will be able to get close to family member and inform them how the infant is doing and is wrong with the baby. The history for premature and ill infants is not nothing new.... [tags: premature, ill infants, babies]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- Interview Cook Children NICU receives around one thousand babies per year. Since the new unit was opened two years ago, they have single rooms where the parents can stay with their babies overnight, and it is controlled individually according to the patients’ needs. In the single rooms they are able to accommodate twins, triplets and quadruplets. According to Carolyn Cowling (personal communication, April.18, 2014), who is the LCSW, preemies have shown an incredible improvement in their health and are able to go home faster because they have a quicker recovery.... [tags: parents, babies, stress, anxiety]
1481 words (4.2 pages)
- There are many complications that can occur during childbirth, one being premature birth. Premature birth is birth before 37 weeks of development. Each year more than 543,000 babies are born prematurely, (Science Daily, 02/2010). Although there are many causes and possible complications for premature birth, there are also preventions that can decrease the likelihood. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, premature birth comes with several known risk factors or causes; however, even if these known risk factors are not present, a woman can still have a premature baby.... [tags: Women's Health]
664 words (1.9 pages)