As I sit at my computer analyzing a predetermined list of topics that include things such as “Northwest is best,” and “squirrels,” I reflect about how each word or phrase has meant something to me at one point or another, throughout my life. After much thought, there are three finalists that resonate with me the most: “curiosity,” “persistence” and “mentor.” These three subjects have played a part in the most significant chapters of my life, and are the reason that I continue to have a successful, productive life and college experience.
Curiosity has been a huge factor in my life and presently, as a college student. It has provided me with an outlet, and would eventually be the driving force in my future academic and personal success. The majority of my childhood and adolescence took place in abusive, unstructured, and unsafe environments. Various parents in countless homes engraved the common theme in my mind, that I would never amount to anything and that a higher education would always be out of my reach. My curiosity enabled me to question my persona...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Personality: “Personality is the combination of traits that compose individuals. Our personality affects our behavior, out perceptions, and our attitudes (Lussier & Kimball, 2014, pg. 235).” It is important to understand personality in the workplace because it will determine how well your organization functions. For example, choosing an introverted person work in a large social setting would be a bad idea. The reason being introverted personality types tend to be shyer than extroverted type personalities.... [tags: Volunteer, Baseball, Employment]
2120 words (6.1 pages)
- Prior to the 2008-2009 school year, the technology resource teacher (TRT) community knowledge-base was distributed across a variety of electronic resources, including Blackboard, server shares, district web pages, email, computer hard drives, and a performance database. The information remained in isolation, and the existing resources did not reflect the massive collection of knowledge and expertise within the TRT community. After only 6 months as a TRT in the spring of 2005, I proposed the use of wiki technology to collect and consolidate our diverse resources.... [tags: Personal Reflection]
1428 words (4.1 pages)
- In my opinion, success and failure depend on whether you have given your best shot. Even though trying does not guarantee a good outcome, it is always worth the try. If a person does not take the first step to get out of his comfort zone, how can he ever improve himself from where he began with. However, I am a very shy and really lazy with reading news or books. Moreover, in my living area, there are more people to speak Chinese rather than English. Based on my principle I believed in and exactly what motivated me to try the best of my ability in everything I do.... [tags: giving it your best shot]
614 words (1.8 pages)
- When life’s struggles come knocking, when it seems like burdens in of this life become too heavy, my mind is filled with nothing but problems of home, school and the problems of my friends and family. Without hesitation I throw a gun strap on my back, and go to the shed to get out my four-wheeler. I cross the abundant traffic on 17, jump the railroad tracks and then I see it, the gate that enters instantly into the state of being relaxed, it’s the gate to my hunting club. As I pull the four-wheeler into the gate the trees seem to engulf me, I see the small dirt path before me and it instantly puts my mind at easy.... [tags: personal reflections]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- Flying squirrels is in subfamily Petauristinae. They are arboreal and nocturnal. They do not actually fly, but glide between trees by a gliding membrane (patagium). This membrane connects the front legs to the back legs (Parr, 2003). In another word, a furry parachute-like membrane stretches from wrist to ankle. Flaps of skin connecting limbs to body provide a wing-like surface. All species have reddish eyeshine, brighter in the large species than the smaller ones which may be quite dim. The subfamily shows severe taxonomic complications, with little agreement among mammalian researchers (Parr, 2003).... [tags: Biology, DNA]
1963 words (5.6 pages)
- Personal Assessment Everyday is a chance to grow and learn about yourself and the world around you. After pondering long and hard, I came up with some core values that I find are extremely important to me. My top four core values would be being honest, reliable, caring, and open-minded. I feel very strongly on all four of these values and believe these are important to me. I truly believe in the statement “honesty is the best policy”. As leaders, being honest is extremely important to build a foundation of trust.... [tags: Leadership, Sociology, Skill, Learning]
749 words (2.1 pages)
- Some of the values expressed in different statements and artifacts. Our Vision statement “All Children Deserve the Best” acknowledges social responsibility and excellence. The Mission statement states, "Partnering with parents and community, we provide a strong educational foundation to prepare children for future success" expresses collaboration and social responsibility. Agency’s Parent Handbook has all the relevant information for parents to get familiar with the rules, procedures, expectations, and recourses thus articulating accountability as the main value.... [tags: Virtue, Ethics, Value, Sentence]
783 words (2.2 pages)
- There are several ways to define leadership, but what sets effective leaders apart from commonplace managers are their extraordinary actions and the successes that result. In The Leadership Challenge, James Kouzes and Barry Posner claim leaders that employ The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership are much more effective than those who do not (2012, p. 25). This paper will be reviewing my assessment findings, exploring my strengths and weaknesses, examining my personal-best leadership story, and detailing a specific area of development.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Culture]
1003 words (2.9 pages)
- ... When it came within our reach, we noticed a pack of boys in front of a glass window, giggling and pointing at something. The closer we were getting, the louder and more engulfing this giggling was becoming. When we were almost there, I realized that it was not something they were pointing at, but someone. Neither her pretty face, nor her beautiful smile was as evident as her massive body, which made this stupid gang laugh without stopping. As we appeared on their horizon, they abruptly transferred their attention to us.... [tags: hormones, surgery, misery]
1231 words (3.5 pages)
- Owning a Pet Having a pet is a wonderful idea. Pets bring companionship, personality, and gut wrenching humor to households across the world. Having previously owned both a cat and a dog, and currently being without a pet, I began to think about getting a new furry friend. Born a dog lover, and bred into a cat lover, I had the difficult decision of choosing one of the two. When I was twenty-two years old, I answered an advertisement in the paper for free Labrador puppies. Driving up to the house, I saw all the little critters running around and having a ball of a time.... [tags: Dog Cat Pets Essays Papers Personal Narrative]
983 words (2.8 pages)