This report is going to use annual report to analyze the Next PLC through multiple point of view for the purpose of advise, and the final user will be the board of NEXT PLC. The report will consist of three parts, firstly, it will illustrate the comparison on performance, financial position and liquidity between year 2010 and 2011, meanwhile compare the same criteria with its competitor - Debenham PLC in 2011. Secondly, Explain and evaluate how the company applies the international accounting standards. In final part, it will have executive summary covering part one and two.
Compare NEXT PLC Current performance, financial position and liquidity with previous year.
Next plc :
Next is a UK based retailer company, it has range of product categories include: Clothing, Footwear, accessories and home products. Next offer production through three main distribution channel: Next Retail, Next Directory, and Next International. There is also a increasing capability on online channel.( NEXT PLC, 2011)
In 2011, Next PLC did the excellent job on performance, it has record on profit, sales, earning per share and dividends. Although there was challenging environment face retailer industry during recent years.( NEXT PLC, 2011 page 1) According to the data from the Next Annual Report and Account January 2011(NEXT PLC, 2011 page43) , we can calculate that profitability ratio between 2010 and 2011, Gross profit margin: 29.26%, 29.21%, Operating profit margin: 15.55%, 16.64%, Net profit margin: 10.69%, 11.61%. As result showed, except Gross profit margin, Operating profit and Net profit margin increased by 1.09% and 0.92%. There was reasons why gross profit margin had downward figure, the Next PLC had suffered a ...
... middle of paper ...
...eater in 2011 than previous year in perspectives of performance, financial position and liquidity. When compared with its rivalry DEBENHAMS PLC, NEXT gained advantage on performance, in other hand, DEBENHAMS had better condition of finnancial position and liquidity. In part two, the report went through IAS (1,16, 37,18,2), it examined how NEXT PLC applied with these standard and how company recognized and disclosed the firgure in the note to financial statement, in which was followed the accounting policy.
DEBENHAMS PLC. (2011). DEBENHAMS annual report and account. Page6,45,63-67,84. Available: http://ar11.debenhamsplc.com/media/report/FullReport.pdf.
NEXT PLC . (2011). Next annual report and account 2011. Page 1,2,4,41,43-50,52,53,57,64,66,73,80. Available: http://www.nextplc.co.uk/~/media/Files/N/Next-PLC/pdfs/latest-news/2011/ar2011.pdf.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction During the last 15 years Lenovo Group Plc. has developed rapidly in the world of PC manufacturing. Through the innovation and the high quality of its products Lenovo tries to obtain an important market share in hi- tech products not only in China where its headquarters are but also in the EU and USA. To achieve this it is essential to develop the brand equity of its products and services which is an intangible asset which helps every company to obtain and retain its customers with the positive awareness, thoughts, feelings and loyalty on behalf of the customer.... [tags: Marketing ]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- This report is based on Ryanair Holdings PLC which was established in 1985. “Ryanair obtains permission from the regulatory authorities to challenge the British Airways and Aer Lingus' high fare duopoly on the Dublin-London route. Services are launched with two (46-seater) turbo prop BAE748 aircraft” (Ryanair, ND). Ryanair Holdings PLC is an Ireland based airline which is the largest low fare airline with 32 bases & over 800 low fare routes across 26 countries, connecting 146 destinations. Ryanair fleets are made up of 196 Boeing 737-800 crafts with a seating capacity of 189 seats.... [tags: business, case studies,]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Swot analysis of Tesco plc We all know Tesco as a food retailer, and we know that they are in constant competition with other retailers such as Sainsburys and Asda, yet we do not know much about what goes on beyond the shelves and the tills, the marketing plans and the day to day tactics that have to be devised to stay the number one food retailer in the United kingdom today. I am going to analyse Broughton Parks Tesco and their possible competitors Swot Analysis Firstly, four main goals, under which these particular four are Strengths: 1.... [tags: essays research papers]
2293 words (6.6 pages)
- The issue: Grand Metropolitan PLC is the world’s largest wine and spirits seller. It mainly operated in London, USA. In 1991, it beats market expectation with a 4.8% increase in pretax profits, and the company Chairman stated that company’s goal “to constantly improve on”. Despite the great performance in the world recession in 1991, the price of GrandMet shares was 10% below the average price/earnings ratio of the companies in the Standard & Poor’s 500 index. And more important, rumors had that GrandMet, valued at more than $14 billion in the stock market, maybe a takeover target.... [tags: Business Finance Analysis]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- 1.0 Introduction JKX Oil & Gas plc (JKX) is a UK based hydrocarbon exploration & production company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. JKX concentrates principally on projects in Ukraine & Russia. This study will point to a strategy for JKX Oil to gain a competitive advantage in Russia and the Ukraine. This study will consider the strategic leadership of JKX through examining strategic leadership strategies which affect JKX .The aim is to establish a strategic plan that will be advantageous to JKX and the most effective way in which the plan can be implemented.... [tags: UK, change, leadership styles]
738 words (2.1 pages)
- Introduction The purpose of this essay is to analysis the easyJet plc about the company’s operation performance, financial status and the ability to control different risks. To achieve the aim, the investigation of the essay will include the following parts: the introduction of the company, the financial trends during the last 5 years, the method about how does the company do their globalization, and how does the company manage the risks that along with the globalization. Finally, the recommendation will be given to the company.... [tags: Finance, Globalization]
1956 words (5.6 pages)
- LongPest Analysis of ASDA Superstores Introduction ASDA, is the Britain's best value food and clothing superstore, and became part of the Wal-Mart family on 26 July 1999. Wal-Mart stores, Inc are the world's largest retailer, with $191 billion in sales in the fiscal year ending 31 January 2001. The company employs more than 1 million associates worldwide through nearly 3,500 facilities in the US and more than 1,000 units in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, China, Korea, Germany and the UK.... [tags: Papers]
1418 words (4.1 pages)
- Environmental Analysis Contemporary Issues in Leadership and Management Introduction "Diageo PLC is a British multinational alcohol company, selling alcohol in 180 countries, with a substantial presence in 30 countries. The company was created in 1997 by the merger of Guinness PLC with Grand Metropolitan PLC (GrandMet)" (diageo. com). At that stage, it was a large multinational with interests in food as well as drink. Today, the company has shed most of its food interests to concentrate on alcohol, acquiring new spirit brands.... [tags: Business Case Study]
1876 words (5.4 pages)
- Coca-Cola Corporation and its Competitors Coca-Cola was discovered as a result of an accident. In 1886 a pharmacist named John Pemberton cooked up medicinal syrup. When he was done, he figured he had created a fine tonic for people who were tired, nervous, or plagued with sore teeth. He and his assistant mixed it with ice water, sipped it, and proclaimed it tasty. They wanted some more, and the assistant accidentally used carbonated water to mix the second batch. Instead of medicine, these men had created a fizzy beverage - one that is now consumed around the world.... [tags: Invention of Coca Cola]
2367 words (6.8 pages)
- Aim : Analyzing and identifying the limitations of the balanced scorecard performance measure. With the assistance of this assignment, the author will cover learning outcome 2, which is to produce an alternative set of measures for the same organization-Corus Group plc (chosen in assignment 1), which contains factors other than financial factors that contribute to company performance, and suggest how such factors might be measured. Introduction Corus Group plc was formed on 6th October 1999, through the merger of British Steel and Koninklijke Hoogovens.... [tags: Corus Group PLC]
3028 words (8.7 pages)