Netflix, Inc. is an American provider of on-demand Internet streaming founded by Reed hasting and Marc Randolph in 1997. Behind this multi billions dollar company, there is unique story of how, Hasting, one of Netflix founder came up with the Idea of Netflix. The idea for a rent-by mail video business came up because he was forced to pay a late fee for an overdue copy of Apollo 13. After he realized no one has ever come up with this business model yet, he then sells his company, Pure Ateria software and invested 2.5 million to a new company called Netflix. In September 1999 Netflix introduce the new concept which allow them to provide flat-fee, unlimited rentals, and late fee free, called monthly subscription concept (O'Brien). The problem Netflix is experiencing now is that a hypercompetitive market with really high threat of new entry. By analyzing their strategic management and strategic competitiveness, we are going to formulate and implement the best strategic action for Netflix to earn Above-average return.
a. Netflix business strategy is a cost leadership with variety product and service which allow them to gain revenue up to US$4.37 billion in 2013 (Hastings and Wells). What make Netflix different is preferable is because its subscriber are able to select, receive, and watch/stream content in an unlimited time with 8.99 per month. The fact that, this market is not yet heavily regulated and not much capital needed to enter the market, make anyone in internet based service company could be Netflix new competitor.
b. The market where Netflix is currently competing is indeed a fast-cycle market. Competing in this kind of market means, Netflix has to keep being i...
... middle of paper ...
... other company at big scale in the market.
Hastings, Reed and David Wells. "Netflix, Inc. - Annual Report." Financial Report. 2013. http://web.archive.org/web/20140308004838/http://ir.netflix.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1065280-14-6&CIK=1065280.
Nemcick-Cruz, Margie. Netflix SWOT Analysis- Strengths and Weaknesses. Valuation too high. 11 December 2013. http://obvious-stock-picks.blogspot.com/2013/12/netflix-swot-analysis-strengths-and.html. 4 april 2014.
Noren, Eric. Digital Business Models. 21 January 2013. http://www.digitalbusinessmodelguru.com/2013/01/analysis-of-netflix-business-model.html. 4 april 2014.
O'Brien, Jeffrey M. Wired News. December 2002. http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/10.12/netflix.html?pg=2. 2 April 2014.
Stelter, Brian. "Netflix Hits Milestone and Raises Its Sights." The New York Times, 21 October 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction The ability for marketers to make use of user generated content from social networking sites such as Facebook enhances the chances of developing personalized and targeted advertisements and promotional content to specific customers, thus increasing profitability through acquisition of larger market share and competitive advantage. Targeted, personalized and interactive marketing helps to increase customer retention and enhances customer loyalty making a company’s products and services increasingly irresistible leading to repeat purchases and higher profitability as well as reduced customer servicing costs.... [tags: Netflix, Facebook]
1379 words (3.9 pages)
- Netflix Case Study The video rental industry began with brick and mortar store that rented VSH tape. Enhanced internet commerce and the advent of the DVD provided a opportunity for a new avenue for securing movie rentals. In 1998 Netflix headquartered in Los Gatos California began operations as a regional online movie rental company. While the firm demonstrated that a market for online rentals existed, it was not financially successfully. Netflix lost over $11 million in 1998 and as a result significantly changed the business model in 2000.... [tags: Netflix Business Analysis ]
1320 words (3.8 pages)
- More and more, experts in the field of strategic planning and management are advocating for more attention to be paid on strategic thinking, and recommending for it to be considered a separate and distinct stage in the strategy planning and executing cycle. Results from the strategic thinking exercise feeds directly into creation of the strategic vision, which according Thompson, Strickland & Gamble (2008) is the first phase of a strategy-making, strategy executing cycle. Ingid Bonn (Bonn, 2001) is very convincing in her argument that not only is strategic thinking an important aspect of any manager’s role, but also that the thinker has special qualities.... [tags: Strategic thinking Management Analysis]
901 words (2.6 pages)
- Netflix Strengths Netflix provides a subscription-style e-commerce service. Customers only need to sign up and pay $13.95-39.95 a month to borrow as many as 2-9 movies at a time with no monthly limit. If customers quickly watch the DVD and send them back, the monthly fee pays for quite a few movies. The relatively low monthly fee enables Netflix to compete with Blockbuster and other brick-and-mortar video rental business. Meanwhile, Netflix might keep the customers who try the service and happy with it continue paying the monthly fee.... [tags: Netflix Strengths Business Analysis]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Can you name the largest online entertainment subscription service. If you said “Netflix” then you are correct. Netflix started in 1997 by Reed Hastings and the subscription service started in 1999. The company headquarters is based out of San Francisco, California. There are over 100 shipping location in the United States. Netflix offers over 100,000 DVD titles and over 8,000 that are ready to be watched instantly on a subscribers PC. Netflix has over 1500 fulltime and 1100 part time employees at their headquarters and shipping centers.... [tags: Business Analysis Netflix Strategy]
1333 words (3.8 pages)
- In this strategic plan analysis paper, the writer will be evaluating their organizations mission, vision, goals, and objectives. Next the writer will discuss the relationship between quality and the management style of their organization and an organization that has adopted a TQM style of management. The writer will then move on to discuss the characteristics of the other organization TQM style and compare those characteristic’s to their own organization. Finally, the writer will briefly touch upon the organization practices that could be integrated into their own organization.... [tags: Business Strategic Management]
1708 words (4.9 pages)
- Introduction Reed Hastings (co-founded) founded Netflix in 1997. During this time, Netflix offered DVD rentals by mail. As Netflix went public in 2002, shortly a year later their subscription reached the one million mark (Netflix Management, 2011). Recently, Netflix is recognized as one of the 50 most innovative companies, ranking number eight for “streaming itself into a $9 billion powerhouse (and crushing Blockbuster)” with 20 million subscribers (fastcompany.com, 2011). This success shows how Netflix embraced a business approach where their mission was to take the troublesome experience of everyday consumers and transform them into a business opportunity.... [tags: Technology, DVD Rentals]
1034 words (3 pages)
- Strategic Thinking Many city departments in other states have faced similar issues as the Houston Public Library. The Houston Public Library can benchmark those companies that have demonstrated strategic thinking to resolve parallel issues. Strategic thinking is the approach in which group in an organization think about, access, view, and creates the future for themselves and their associates. It is more than responding to day-to-day as well as long-term problems, opportunities, and new realities; it is creating tomorrow.... [tags: Strategic Analysis Organization]
1044 words (3 pages)
- Netflix 1. Blockbuster was able to create a strong position in the traditional video rental industry due to a couple of factors. It was initially based on the idea that “movie rentals were largely impulse decisions.” With this being the case, the assumption was that consumers would want the newest releases. In order to cater to this, Blockbuster grew quickly in order to expand geographically and to increase share in existing markets. The size of Blockbuster became its major source of advantage.... [tags: Case Study Business Model Netflix]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- Strategic Analysis The simulation mentions that "Strategic thinking is a readiness for action based on market realities, organizational competencies and brand equities. It is supported by long-range objectives, strategic flexibility and a need to stay ahead of change." A lesson I have learned was that an enterprise needs to build long-term objectives to align with the strategic goals and manage the consequences of contemporary decisions. BJ's Prosports (BJ's) is currently running thirty- five stores and ranked #3 among bicycle retailers that plans to achieve aggressive growth.... [tags: Business Analysis Strategy Management]
1729 words (4.9 pages)