Through the self-assessment, I was able to self-examine my leadership styles, see what roles are underemphasized or overhauled, and self-assess my strengths and weaknesses (Belasen, 2000, p.41). This CVF survey revealed that my weaknesses lie in the upper half of the quadrant. My biggest area of opportunity lies in the collaborate quadrant which I need to remedy as Human Resource Management is my desired field. I need to improve my competencies in conflict management, building effective teams without becoming hypereffective, and taking the time to understand self and others. I have a significant opportunity of deviating from being a transactional leader and more of a transformative. With that being said, I also have significant opportunity in the creative quadrant specifically the Innovator role. This requires that I improve on creating change and adapting to change. Being more aware of external environments and being more open will aid me in developing this role. Having the ability to communicating effectively across all four quadrants in a way that balances tensions and contr...
... middle of paper ...
...ation. Obstacles to overcome include setting unrealistic deadlines. To build on working productively, I will continue to use the tools I have received from a Franklin Covey time management class and prioritize what is urgent and important.
In closing, Belasen (2008) teaches us that behavioral characteristics, especially deeply engrained tendencies, attitudes, and emotional responses can be quite transient and resistant to change (p. 78). Genuine growth and long term gains will take place only by concentrating on specific skill growth from and intensely individualized perspective. Through continued self-assessment and focusing on my development using the CVF, I will be able to achieve long term growth. An effective leader must have the quick ability to strike a balance of four perspectives and communication systems. That is the leader that I aspire to be.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The policy also states that compensation assessed to be of value greater than $10,000 per annum, would be scaled back to the correct rate of pay. With this news I became concerned about how this re-assessment would be received by the manager impacted and the message the organization would be sending with it. I expressed my concern to the HR Director and my boss, as I believed that the employee in question would be negatively impacted by the organizational assessment and policy, and that we were dealing with an employee that had an excellent performance record and many years of service.... [tags: strengths and weaknesses]
1934 words (5.5 pages)
- “It’s not what you achieve, it’s what you overcome. That’s what defines your career.” (Carlton Fisk) Setting the framework of personal goals gives you long term vision and short term motivation. My personal goals are to continue as a positive, committed role model for my husband and children, earn degrees in both Medical Coding & Reimbursement and Nursing, and become a charge Nurse specializing in outpatient surgery; challenging but realistic. Understanding the influence of, and using strengths and skills retained from education is crucial for personal, educational, and professional success.... [tags: nursing, education, personal strengths, skills]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- While our first assignment was a group argument, the process was difficult at first, however, afterwards it was proved to me that it was more easy that what I had imaged it to be. Working in groups help in the development of my communication skills, however, I observed that I had many things to learn and the communication between my partners and me was truly necessary for the success and the completion of the argument. The argument was difficult to create and write, however, due to the work effort of all my partners and all their contribution to the writing of the argument it help me understand personally that we needed to work together.... [tags: Critical thinking, Learning, Knowledge, Writing]
2122 words (6.1 pages)
- The Competing Values Framework is originated by Quinn and Rohrbaugh. It emphasizes the organizational problems and choices faced by managers. The framework is divided into various managerial roles corresponding situations, as well as specific organizational environments. For instance, the facilitator and mentor roles rely on cohesion and morale to bring about human resource development within the organization. While the innovator and broker roles rely on flexibility and readiness in order to receive the growth and resource needed to perform an effective organization.... [tags: roles, skills, manager, efficieny]
1153 words (3.3 pages)
- Discuss the student’s perceived skills and strengths (vocationally, socially, independent living): Michael is a happy student who is working to improve his communication skills with his classmates. He is slowly making progress in his educational goals. Although Michael does show some frustration issues, he has shown great improvements and responds very well to praise, one on one attention, and immediate consequences. While Michael does need to be encouraged to participate in activities and independent work he is improving on these skills.... [tags: Education, College, High school, Teacher]
2107 words (6 pages)
- In this part of the assignment, I will be reviewing the strengths and weaknesses that were shown when I was using counselling skills on my client. I believe that there were more strengths when I was showing counselling skills compared to the weaknesses that there were. The start of the conversation can be seen as a strength because the skilled helper introduced who they were and then they told the client about the confidentiality statement. This could be seen as a strength because the client would know what the boundaries are in the session and what the skilled helper has to do when they are aware that the client may be in danger of harming themselves.... [tags: Understanding, Knowledge, Awareness, Feeling]
1554 words (4.4 pages)
- After understanding the theory behind both the trait and skill approach, I was eager to evaluate and reflect on my own leadership traits. It was interesting to see how the trait approach allowed me to better understand whether or not I have certain traits considered to be important for leadership, while skills approach allowed me to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses in the technical, human and conceptual skills. From completing the Leadership Trait Questionnaire (LTQ) and the Skills Inventory, I was able to reflect more on how I behave towards others in a leadership context, as well as the skills that I currently possess.... [tags: Leadership, Skill, Trait theory, Management]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- The completion of the Assessment Module began with selecting a high school student to study for the module. Since I am currently a general education classroom teacher, I wanted to select a student that first meet the criteria for the assignment, and two would be easily accessible during the school day. After reviewing the criteria for the assignment, I selected a student that is currently in the 7th grade. Once I decided on the student, I contacted the family to discuss the project and receive permission to work with the student.... [tags: Special education, Education, Assessment]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- Utilizing strengths based perspective with clients enables social workers to focus on the client and family strengths and abilities instead of focusing on the client and family’s problems, bad behaviors and pathologies. The strengths based perspective applies six principles that guide the social worker professional in assisting client’s with the strengths based model; we all have areas of strength, but sometimes it takes an unbiased third party to notice and help others clearly see what they are capable of achieving, even in the midst of their crisis.... [tags: Strengths Perspective of Case Management]
3089 words (8.8 pages)
- Netflix Strengths Netflix provides a subscription-style e-commerce service. Customers only need to sign up and pay $13.95-39.95 a month to borrow as many as 2-9 movies at a time with no monthly limit. If customers quickly watch the DVD and send them back, the monthly fee pays for quite a few movies. The relatively low monthly fee enables Netflix to compete with Blockbuster and other brick-and-mortar video rental business. Meanwhile, Netflix might keep the customers who try the service and happy with it continue paying the monthly fee.... [tags: Netflix Strengths Business Analysis]
1107 words (3.2 pages)