My role model is a woman who may need no introduction to many, particularly those who follow media personalities. Oprah Gail Winfrey is my hero and ultimate role model, who personifies how every human being should be like, irrespective of how challenging the prevailing circumstances may be. Indeed, she is perhaps the richest African American woman today, the only female billionaire, the greatest philanthropist who is black and the black billionaire in North America today. As such, she has scored many firsts in the society, which has earned her several accolades in recognition of her benevolence, spirit, and success. To me, she personifies the most ethical person I have ever known, and indeed, she has an amazing life story, which helps one understand the origin of her ethical uprightness.
Oprah Gail Winfrey is sixty-two years old, having been born in 29 January of 1952. She was born to a teenage mother in rural Mississippi, and experienced abject poverty, a sharp contrast to her life today. Indeed, her background is a long sad story full of misfortunes and troubles, which would have made any child loose morals, turn out badly, and perhaps contemplate death. Indeed, her childhood was troubled because to start with, she was raped when she was nine and became a mother at fourteen. All this happened as she lived in inner-city neighborhood in Milwaukee with her mother who was single, unmarried, and working as a maid. She also spent some of her childhood with her father, who lived in Tennessee and was a barber, and thus certainly with nothing much to live by. However, most of Oprah’s early childhood was spent with her maternal grandmother whose name was Hattie Mae Lee, a person of considerable influence to her....
... middle of paper ...
...e belief to do what is right, she is not critical of her family, an indication of the resoluteness with which she approaches life. I have relied on Oprah Winfrey to create perceptions about life generally that is not only focused on success even when confronted with barriers, but also use of success to improve the livelihoods of other people irrespective of their race, creed, and opinions. Indeed, she invigorates me to make ethical decisions in every situation I face, which is based on the belief that everyone has a right to be in this world and deserves a chance at succeeding as well. She also inspires me to share my successes with others, who may not have had the opportunities I have. Finally, Oprah motivates me to be philanthropic by encouraging me to handle success with grace and to engage in courses that influence the lives of the underprivileged positively.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- People like Oprah Winfrey, Dwight Howard, and Rosa Parks have had a huge impact on civilization. Throughout their lives they have done things that have changed thousands of other lives. Opening foundations, donating large amounts of money, and standing strong with what you believe is right effects people in different ways than you know. Kind actions and warm hearts is what makes this world a better place. Exercising opportunities to do so makes you a great leader and role model. Oprah Winfrey, Dwight Howard, and Rosa Parks are all great worldwide leaders.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey: An inspirational role model Many people find someone in his/her life to look up to, a role model. There are many different kinds of role models; they can be singers, public speakers, a parent, or even a friend. Role models also are not determined by certain criteria. A role model can be a role model just because they are a leader or have a great talent. Oprah Winfrey is considered a role model to many individuals because of her tough childhood, wonderful charity work, her schools, and the true relationships with her fans.... [tags: Biography ]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- The Influential Power of Oprah Winfrey. “Think like a queen, a queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Oprah Winfrey let the world know that when one fails at something, he/she can always keep trying till he/she gets it right. Being a victim to some negative situations in life did not stop her from being who she is today. Oprah has an outstanding personality and she serves as a role model to so many people. Even though Oprah Winfrey publicly criticizes overweight women including herself, she has a positive influence on the society because she is a great leader, she has impacted the society through the media, television and movies and her philanthropic ef... [tags: Oprah Winfrey, The Oprah Winfrey Show]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954. Her home has been at Santa Barbra, California. She lives there with her partner, Stedman Graham. Oprah is a renowned talk show host, actress, American media proprietor, producer and philanthropist. The Oprah Winfrey show, multi-award winning talk show is what this great philanthropist is best known for. This show was the highest ranked show of its kind, being syndicated nationally in the period 1986-2011 (Winfrey 3). She is currently the CEO and owner of Oprah Winfrey Network.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey Essays]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- A role model. When one hears that word many people think of something or someone who has impacted their life in a positive way. In my opinion a perfect example of a role model is Oprah Winfrey. She's an African American who is not only a symbol for black people everywhere, but a symbol for all people. The Academy of Achievement has referred to Oprah Winfrey as one of the most successful and admirable woman in America. She is a woman that many people across America trust, respect, and look up to.... [tags: Biography]
1612 words (4.6 pages)
- “In 1998 Oprah Winfrey was listed one of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century by the editors of Time magazine” (“Winfrey, Oprah”). Oprah Gail Winfrey was born to Vernita Lee and Vernon Winfrey on January 29, 1954. Currently, Oprah is a successful chairwoman and CEO of The Oprah Winfrey Network: OWN since 2011. Oprah’s childhood was not the greatest. Her unmarried parents split up, and she grew up on a farm with her grandmother. She developed rapidly and could read before she was three.... [tags: Show Host, Television, African-American]
601 words (1.7 pages)
- Hero What makes a hero. one does not need to have superhuman powers, wear a cape and slay dragons to become a hero. A true hero is someone who is not measured by the size of his strength, a true hero is measured by the strength of his or her heart. Aside from being the Queen of American media, Oprah Gail Winfrey an empathetic and philanthropist individual impacted society by giving those in poverty hope for a better future and giving to those in need throughout her career. Winfrey was born on January 29, 1954 in Kosciusko, Mississippi.... [tags: Oprah Winfrey]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Oprah Winfrey is a household name, not only in America but throughout the world. She has graced Americans’ televisions for the over twenty-five years. Oprah has impacted many lives across the globe, whether it be first hand or through her powerful words of wisdom and encouragement. Many know of Oprah as we see her today; however, they don’t have knowledge of her past and the circumstances that shaped and molded her into the woman that we all know today. Oprah Winfrey did not always have the things she possesses today, but it was the determination and drive that brought her this far.... [tags: Biography, Humble Beginnings]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- ... At just nineteen years old, Oprah felt she wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure, so she turned down the offer. However, the station was persistent and Oprah eventually agreed. With great salary for someone her age, and a natural talent, this job seemed like a dream, but not everyone was thrilled with her position on the station. During an interview with a white shopkeeper, Oprah tried to shake the man’s hand, but he refused (Taibi). She shook it off with a witty remark and kept her composure, showing how professional she is.... [tags: world-famous talk show, magazines]
1524 words (4.4 pages)
- Money, cars and living in one of the biggest mansions in the state of Ohio, being invited to every professional sport events. Just nineteen year old kid, making millions of dollars per minute just for breathing not doing anything, the great feeling of having connections the world would dream to have with people such as Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey and Donald Trump. The charts pointed out that I was becoming one of the greatest money making human that lived on this earth, people started to look up to me as a role model.... [tags: Christmas tree, Christmas, Tobacco smoking]
1032 words (2.9 pages)