My dad is my hero. As a young child my father was everything to me. Although he didn’t choose favorites between my sister, brother and I, I was always his princess. My dad would take me everywhere with him. Sometimes he even took me with him to work. He was a truck driver so he could take me when he wanted. My father was my best friend.
When I turned eleven my parents started arguing a lot. Which made my life and the life of my siblings very hard. They fought all the time. Most of the time it was just verbal but other times it go physical. Most of the time when they were fighting, my sister and I would take my little brother to the neighbor’s across the street and sit there until my mom came to get us. This became the routine for about three years.
In those three years I didn’t see my father much. My mother would kick my father out of the house. She was always moving us around. We would stay with family members and in shelters. A few times we even moved into our own house, with just us kids and my mom. Then things would start to turn around. Until my dad would show up on our doorstep swearing that he’d changed. My mother would let him come back home.
When I was fourteen years old. I overheard an argument between my mother and father. Both my sister and Listened with our ears pressed against our bedroom door. Which was right across the hallway from my parents room.
“Kenny, I refuse to keep doing this with you. This time your going to tell them,” My mother said.
Then we heard my father say, “They are kids they don’t need to be brought into adult situations.”
“Well I’m tired of always being the bad guy every time you do this. They need to know why. You tell them or I will. You need help Kenny.”...
... middle of paper ...
... it cost him he couldn’t get clean. He lost his family, his job and was a forty year old man living at home with his mother. I remember the day I found out that I was pregnant. I went to my grandmother’s house to tell my father. He was so excited. I remember telling him that he couldn’t be around the baby unless he was sober. I didn’t want him to accidently drop him or something.
My father swore to me that he was going to get clean and be in his grandchild’s life.
“I promise that I am going to be a better grandfather than I was a dad to you guys.” That’s when I realized that he was serious. He was ready to get clean. I was amazed. At that point in time, I realized people do change. My father has been sober for almost six years now. He has been a wonderful grandfather to my children as well as my nieces and nephews. He has become more active in all of our lives.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- People Do Change My dad is my hero. As a young child my father was everything to me. Although he didn’t choose favorites between my sister, brother and I, I was always his princess. My dad would take me everywhere with him. Sometimes he even took me with him to work. He was a truck driver so he could take me when he wanted. My father was my best friend. When I turned eleven my parents started arguing a lot. Which made my life and the life of my siblings very hard. They fought all the time. Most of the time it was just verbal but other times it go physical.... [tags: Family, Mother, Parent, 2007 singles]
1064 words (3 pages)
- When an awe-inspiring person comes into your life, you can never really opine of how tremendously they will affect your life. I was born on November 11, 1992 into a loving family of a father, a mother, a brother, and a sister. I must have been so blessed. Some where along the line, however, our harmony was disrupted. My mother left my father to fend for both himself and me. During the divorce, my mother never even showed up to contend for at least some kind of custody of her newborn daughter. That was the day when the judge determined my father had full custody over his pink cheeked, vulnerable baby.... [tags: father, heroes,]
750 words (2.1 pages)
- One person that I care for very deeply is my dad. He is The reasons he means so much to me is because he helps me whenever I need help, plays sports with me, and he is just like one of my friends. My dad is always happy to help. He always has time to assist me with whatever I need. Sometimes when I don't comprehend a certain thing on my homework, he works through the problem with me until I fully understand how to solve it myself. He is very inquisitive and is always showing me diverse ways to solve my problems If I have to do chores around the house, he is always the first one I call.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
407 words (1.2 pages)
- I get the kids into the house without first slamming the door, grab my house phone and quickly dial my mother in a rage. I ask her, "What is wrong with this man, do you know what type of message he left me?" My mother goes onto say that I was wrong because I was down in NYC visiting her with the kids and neglected to stop over o my father's place. My parents had divorced seven years before, hence the separate visiting that always took a toll on me. I reply, "He told me to never speak to him again." My dad was living in a one room apartment; it was so dismal and depressing that I would do anything not to go there.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
501 words (1.4 pages)
- My Hero, My Dad The wind was cold and bit deeply into the skin on my exposed legs and chest. I shivered a little, shielding my face against the cold by putting my back to the wind. Standing alone on the platform, high against the background of the rest of the park sent shivers tightly down my spine. I watched the goose bumps raise neatly on my arms and legs. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, sighed out my anxieties and jumped. I was quickly being violently thrashed about inside the fiberglass tube, working my way down the cascading waterfall of death.... [tags: Personal Narratives]
643 words (1.8 pages)
- Hero My hero is my dad. He is my superman. He is my leader. My dad is a dad who motivates me and keeps me going, even when I want to give up. He is there for me when I don’t want to try anymore and he always keeps me going. Of all the heroes in the world, my dad is at the top of the list. I always think to myself, “What would I do if I didn’t have a father like him?” I think about it and then I say, “I would be in the cracks, not doing anything because there is no one here to keep me going and to keep me motivated.” My dad is an amazing cool person to me because he shows me that no matter what struggles he faces in his life or what happens to him, he always gets out of them and he has me and... [tags: father, motivates, dad, sports]
712 words (2 pages)
- We all have someone in our lives who we consider a hero. This hero may be an athlete, an actor, a friend, or a historical figure; but just like Targan in True Grit, my hero is who I think of as a hero. Karl Harris, my father, displays heroic qualities such as bravery, strength, and selflessness. I am honored to have such a heroic father who leads by example. First of all, my dad displays bravery in every aspect of his life. My dad has to be brave in his line of work. He has worked as a Deputy Sheriff in Meade County for over fifteen years.... [tags: Family, Hero, Mother, Sheriff]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Who is a hero. Is it someone who is does the impossible things that we can never do. Or is it something more. Somebody who reaches into our hearts and bless us our what we do everyday.Not the politics but everyone that has and that hero is our parents. I wouldn’t survived without them. They are the backbone who made me on what I am today. Every parent in the world should realize that they are doing something good. Thats why I am writing this essay to prove on what they do right. I know that all parents are not perfect but they tried their best to keep their child happy.... [tags: hero essay, essay about family]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- What is a Hero. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary a hero is an individual who is admired for great bravery or fine qualities. To me a hero is so much more than a person who shows great bravery. When I think of a hero many fine qualities come to mind; intelligence, courage, altruism, compassion and great bravery. In order for me to better explain what I believe to be a hero, I want to describe the hero in my life; my Father. My dad is an exceptional man, not only has he been in the United States Marine Corps for 24 years and counting, going on numerous tours overseas, he is a student pursuing his Master’s degree.... [tags: Hero, Courage, Preity Zinta, Sunny Deol]
1049 words (3 pages)
- It was then that I realized all that mattered most to me was seeing that joyed filled smile. When I was about to be a year old, my parents came up with this brilliant (in a very sarcastic way) idea. They thought I should have a sister to play with. Before turning two years old, my sister was born and now it was two of us. I remember my mom as the strict one; who would always scold my sister and I for jumping around, and making a mess. My dad, on the other hand, was the total opposite. My dad was my favorite parent.... [tags: Mother, Parent, Family, Father]
1242 words (3.5 pages)