In the college success strategies (COLL 101) class, we had explored various areas of future possibility. Throughout the quarter, We sketched out the big pictures of the future. We identified potential destination and explored the path to get there. In this reflection essay, I would like to talk about and reflect on personal development throughout the quarter.
Education and Goals
After looking at hundreds of schools, thinking about multiple factors of schools, I finally picked the University of Washington-Seattle as my first choice for transferring. The TEP (Transfer and Education Plan) helped me through the process of exploration. By doing the interests test on WOIS, meeting with an academic advisor, attending transfer fair, and making the concept maps, I found out that I was sure to major in business, therefore the Foster School of Business would be where I would go. Business major requires a wide range of knowledge. Economics is a class that I have to take and I think might be difficult. Online tutoring will be a good help for me. Although the UW is a school with high reputation, especially the Foster school is very hard to get in, I still want to try hard and challenge myself to get in, and graduate from there. At the same time, the TEP suggested that we should think about a “parallel plan” which is helpful if I can’t choose my first choice. I might go to another school or major in another area instead. I set a high goal for my education plan, so that I can push myself to work hard and achieve my other goals. In class, we talked about that we should have not only short term goals but also medium and long term goals. Short term goal for me now is to finish Associate degree at Cascadia in 2 years; med...
... middle of paper ...
...amazing for me to get in the habit of making agenda and do work according to it. Time blocking, another strategy presented in class is useful, which reduces my procrastination.
Life become more clear when I plan out everything. This Life Plan Portfolio summarized the explorations for my life moving forward. I explored on education, career, how to help the society and ways to get success. Waking up in the morning without knowing what is the purpose of my life is not ideal for me. Making a life plan and knowing what should I do in order to achieve goals help me to be organized and purposeful. Those plans and goals may change as time goes on, but the Life Plan Portfolio documented where I started. For the next step, I will work hard, use the tips I got from the class and walk along the path I chose. Eventually I will get to my goals and live a happy life.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Without a doubt the lessons and exercises on time management were the most meaningful to me. They brought insight into why I seemed to be constantly working yet still never really got anything I wanted to accomplish throughout the day finished. I realized the majority of the activities I had been spending the most time on didn’t reflect my values of hard work and self discipline and long term academic goals to be successful in college. This motivated to completely change the way I managed my time by effectively striking a balance between my maintenance, committed, and free time.... [tags: Reflection ]
447 words (1.3 pages)
- Self Reflection As athlete Pele quoted, “Success is not accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” This quote speaks to me because at the beginning of the semester, before I joined Ms Dubbe’s class, I had phobia for going to school, due to surviving bullying in high school. That incident took much from me and coming back to school after two years was a big step I was unsure of facing. I was scared of my worst nightmare prevailing.... [tags: Learning, Study skills, Homework, Writing]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- It is my belief that writing is a fundamental skill that can be inter-connected across all disciplines, that teachers must have a strong knowledge of content to be effective, that metacognition is an important aspect of learning and teaching, and that building self-efficacy is detrimental to the success of learners of all ages. This reflection paper will discuss new knowledge, theories, and strategies discovered thus far, a plan of action for integrating knowledge into teaching writing, issues teachers face in regards to writing including the strengths and challenges of observed middle school students, the development of my personal attitude about writing over time, my personal strengths and... [tags: Writing, Education, Teacher, Narrative]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- Reflection paper: The Social System A system is when all parts of a whole work together as one, in order to be effective. Inside the school, the environment is a social system of its own. While reading the power point The Social System, I understood that the leaders are the ones that must lead the creation of an open, all-inclusive culture in which each individual feels as an integral part of the whole. The parts of a Basic Social System as define by Hanson (1996), as cited in the presentation, are the input, teaching and learning, the environment, outputs, and the feedback.... [tags: Sociology, Education, Output, Systems theory]
1052 words (3 pages)
- Teaching and Learning through Reflection We are who we are as individuals because of what has been experienced and learned from our pasts. It is due to these significant experiences and learned lessons that assist in shaping our characters, develops our resolve, and leads towards successful futures if we execute what we have learned in functional application. This action inevitably leads towards one’s personal growth and development. Reflecting upon the writers own life, there are clearly a significant amount of experiences that have shaped both his character and philosophy towards education specifically within the practice of pedagogy and holistic learning of which consists of comprehension... [tags: education, perceptions]
1819 words (5.2 pages)
- ENG001 is a developmental course at Montgomery College that is designed for students to improve writing skills, starting at sentence and paragraph level. The course is intended for native speakers of English who need more practice in their writing before reaching credit level English also known as college level English. During the semester there are course outcomes that students will be able to do at the completion of the course and the outcomes have been broken down into different sections. The sections are “Writing Process”,”Sentence and Paragraph Writing”,”Essay Writing”,”College Reading Strategies”, and “College Success Strategies”.... [tags: Writing, Linguistics, Essay, Better]
754 words (2.2 pages)
- In todays society, there are a variety of challenges individuals face on a day to day basis. Every action or decision has a consequent, which may be for the better, or for the worse. Individuals deal with these crucial situations multiple times a day. For the actions and decisions individuals participate in, some are successful, while some are not. However, there are a lot of situations where individua’s are fearful of failure through the actions and decisions they make. As an individual, do you dare to fail.... [tags: Success, Learning, Failure, Skill]
712 words (2 pages)
- Playing the victim in various situations is far from difficult. Victims have a tendency to sit back and watch their life fall to pieces. A victim is someone who blames others that predict defeat and also gives up. For example, in the article, “Do you think like a victim or a creator,” “what the first student had said – “it wasn’t my fault, it was the bookstore’s fault” – was, indeed, true. However, it was not helpful to her cause. At the end of the day, she did not achieve her goal (obtaining the book).” (David Marman) This person pertains to a victim because she gave a false statement that cannot achieve her goal.... [tags: personal reflection]
587 words (1.7 pages)
- How can some people struggle when they have a degree from a quality institution, while others can be successful without a college degree or in a field unrelated to their degree. In my opinion, it’s because a college education doesn’t guarantee success. Success is up to many other factors that college often does not teach. I believe that certification tests would be a better replacement for the BA, because they would separate the students with the will and determination from those who are just coasting their way through their courses.... [tags: college degree, BA, success, education]
919 words (2.6 pages)
- How Success Strategies helped my College Career As a college freshman, I was worried about so many things coming into college. The biggest and most important thing was how to actually succeed in college. This course has helped me tremendously with succeeding in college. Throughout this semester, we have gone through multiple topics to help us succeed in college. The topics range from effective note taking, caring for yourself, how to succeed in college, understanding who you are, and also to planning your priorities.... [tags: Education, University, Time management, Student]
1158 words (3.3 pages)