The perspective that I believe that was used in this article was conflict theory. The reason why is that according to Jeffrey Sachs, the next presidential election is estimated to be ten billion dollars (CNN). This means that only people with vast amounts of wealth can control our political atmosphere. Through personal funding or corporate support, the wealthy have a strong position in determining the outcomes of political elections. This notion is validated by Sach’s in whom he states, “our public policies have been owned by the rich in many countries and pushed their wealth even higher” (CNN). Conflict theory best fits this because it is when the elite dictates terms of the larger masses (New Encyclopedia). Because the wealthy elite hold most of the wealth, laborers must sell their services in order to obtain an income. According to Karl Marx, this is how society is based and deviance with stem from this (Gidd...
... middle of paper ...
...althy for their oppression. Due to the outsourcing of jobs to foreign labor workers that work for lower wages, fewer jobs are available to them. They will comment on the abuse of power bestowed upon them by the wealthy and will argue their business practices.
Overall, after watching this video I have been made aware of that accumulations of wealth the top 1% has gotten. It was a very interesting video that was very relevant to our current readings of Chapter 8 and 9. In conclusion, through globalization and inequality between social classes is expected to rise. The wealthy will become more powerful and attain more assists. While in contrast, the lower classes will continue to suffer and have trouble in getting out of their economic situations. Something is needed to be done as shown by the video, in order to tip the scale and for a better society to be established.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Autonomy is a concept that can be difficult to understand, however the meaning behind this word refers to the right of independence or freedom of an individual in order to be able to govern oneself. To this date we still all ask ourselves whether autonomy is a good thing and whether we really do govern ourselves. Well if we think about it, we actually do, naturally by the way we perceive philosophy currently as to how we perceived things back then differently. As for autonomy being the choice of whether it’s a good thing or not, it has a slight different meaning towards everyone in how they perceive things rather than what I believe in.... [tags: Ethics, Morality, Philosophy of life]
1772 words (5.1 pages)
- Comfort food We have all had a long hard day at work and sometimes we simply don’t feel like cooking or we may not have had the time to cook so we order out and all that you can think about is having our large pepperoni pizza with an ice cold beer. Sure that this sounds like a comfort night with good food but for many this comfort night of fast food is only once in a while and that is fine. For some this night might happen more than once a week increasing their consumption of fast food. Eating out is not a good thing but its ok to at least have it once in a while but to eat out continuously is not a good thing.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Food, Fast food restaurant]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- The minimum wage has been a topic that has always been discussed. News about increasing minimum wage appears on the news every year and people start talking about whether raising the minimum wage is a good thing, and the effects that come with the increase of minimum wage. There have been many rumors, and discussions about raising the minimum wage, some arguments may be misleading due to not knowing the effect of raising the minimum wage. The minimum wage is defined as the minimum amount the employer has to pay their employees for their labor.... [tags: Minimum wage, Wage, Employment, Unemployment]
1484 words (4.2 pages)
- ... Factory owners loved child labor because it was cheap and they could support their ideas by saying it was good for the country/state and the economy. Children labor was very useful, because they could fit into smaller areas that the average human could not fit in. The children were used to fix small problems in the machines that could become into a bigger problem, because the grown man's hand could not fit into the smaller areas children were very useful to the factory owners. the factory owners also found it way easier to get them to work easier and to manage and control there feeling to get more work out of them.... [tags: child labour, stuggling parents]
658 words (1.9 pages)
- Nationalism is the connection we feel towards a nation or nation-state. It can be seen that the source supports nationalism to some extent. We should embrace nationalism and exclude the concept of patriotic ultranationalism to some degree. The love for one 's nation should not be put above humanity. We have seen in the past that the love for a nation overrides the love for humanity. Ultra Nationalism in the past has lead to the eight stages of genocide and ethnic cleansing. The cause of the second world war was because of Hitler 's ultra nationalistic pursuit..... [tags: Nazi Germany, World War II, Nazism, Adolf Hitler]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Death is a Good Thing: An Analysis of the Monotony of Self in Time This philosophical study will define the good aspects of death that is revealed through the monotony of life over extended periods of time. In my view, death is a good thing because the concept of “self” presumes that I will remain unchanged if I was to live as an immortal. over time, the concept of I would become stagnant, and i would soon wish to kill myself out of boredom. Bernard Williams is an important premise for this belief, since the assumption of immortality usually rests on the assumption of maintaining the “self” over long periods of time.... [tags: Meaning of life, Life, Suicide, Personal life]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- Throughout human history, there have always been leaders to help carry the human race through time. Leaders can come from all walks of life from poverty to wealth, but most of the time, they come from just being regular everyday people. During my time wrestling in high school, I was the captain of the team my senior year so, to me, leadership is extremely important. It was important to understand what being a true leader is, as well as what it consists of being. Leaders are a good thing because they can help pull a group through a hard time, help organize a group, as well as lead a group to success.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Nick Saban, Kurt Lewin]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction Nanotechnology is a term used in reference to the science and engineering whereby the basic building blocks of matter such as atoms and molecules are manipulated. In the future, nanotechnology will give a greater control over the materials used in the manufacturing processes. In addition, nanotechnology will also enable manufacturers to have control over how materials are produced. Nanotechnology remains a controversial issue that has elicited varied debates among scholars (Hunt and Mehta 8).... [tags: science, engineering]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- Marriage is a unification between two people who share their love for each other. It is said to bring joy, happiness, and satisfaction to one’s life. I really never believed in the idea of marriage, and reading and discussing more about marriage, I see why. Over the years, the idea of marriage has been tarnished by the hands of who force women into marriages, or teach girls that they must aspire to get married. That their lives are completed once they have a secured man by their side. Marriage is something that is supposed to be sacred between two who love each other; not some mere game that can be played with.... [tags: Marriage, Wedding, Woman, Wife]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- Raymond Carver's A Small Good Thing Raymond Carver's "A Small Good Thing," a short story that has to do with the lack of interaction and empathy between the baker, Ann and Howard, the finale where the baker is startled to find out about the child's death, asks for mercy and presents them warm cinnamon rolls telling them that "Eating is a small, good thing in a time like this" and they are comforted, reveals particular significance of the title in terms of the story's theme. Also, Raymond Carver's "Cathedral," a story that starts with an ignorant and rude narrator whose wife has called a blind friend to spend the night at their home and according to Carver, "A blind man in my house was not... [tags: Comparative Literature Carver Small Good Essays]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- The National Commission Of State Floodplain Managers
- Massey Energy Corporation Owned And Operated The Upper Big Branch Mine
- Budget Setting : Investing Your Money Back Into Your Business
- The New Provisions For Youth Aging Out Of Care
- Personal Note On Bank For Funding Unless You Have A Lot Of Collateral
- The Moments Of A Coffee Shop