Case reporting occurs on three different levels of public health – local, state, and national. The 2006 mumps outbreak investigation began at the state level. The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) led the investigation using a passive surveillance strategy (Quinlisk 2010).
Mumps is a reportable disease condition in the state of Iowa. Hospitals, clinics, and laboratories have three days to report a positive diagnosis of mumps (IDPH 2012). . A mumps case can be diagnosed either by a positive laboratory test or meet the clinical definition. The clinical case definition of mumps is “an illness with...
... middle of paper ...
...mps in the United States. N Engl J Med 2008;358:1580-9.
Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH). Mumps. Iowa Department of Public Health Epi Manual. 2014.
Partar Fiebelkorn, A., Barskey, A., Hickman, C., and Bellins, W. Mumps. Manual for Vaccine Preventable Diseases Fifth Edition. Chapter 9. 2012.
Quinlisk, P., and Dworkin, M. A Mumps Epidemic, Iowa, 2006. Cases in Field Epidemiology: A Global Perspective. Jones and Bartlet Learning. September 17, 2010
Quinlisk, P., Harris, M., Thornton, T., and Flanigan, L. Mumps Outbreak – Iowa 2006. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. April 17, 2006. 55(13); 366-368.
Reef et al. Update: Multistate Outbreak of Mumps – United States, January 1 – October 7, 2006. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. October 27, 2006 / 55(42);1152-1153
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hospital quality management programs are important to ensure hospitals are delivering the highest quality of care at the lowest costs. Hospitals are continuously faced with patient dissatisfaction reports, increasing costs, competition with local hospitals, and the battle with reimbursement from insurance companies. Many areas are reviewed to evaluate what can be improved and what needs to be done to improve it. The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and Mercy Hospital of Iowa City, are two hospitals within Iowa City, IA that have comparable quality control rankings.... [tags: Patient, Hospital, Iowa City, Iowa]
700 words (2 pages)
- Final Course Reflection Reflecting back on my short time here at Iowa State I have met many new people, learned a great deal about the campus, myself, and the Agricultural Business program. In college I have experienced many firsts. I moved away from home for the first time. I started my first day of college classes, and survived my first round of college exams. I joined clubs, met lots of new individuals, and got acquainted with life at Iowa State. Throughout my time at Iowa State I was lucky enough to be part of a great major that focuses on welcoming freshman.... [tags: A Great Way to Care, Learning, Iowa]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Through the years there has been a rise for the advocacy of public education over several disease and how the people would be infected as well as what can be done to avoid such diseases and what pre-cautionary measures can be taken in order to prevent infection or spreading of the diseases. Many people have become aware of the measures due to many programs initiated by the government and several other resources, the knowledge of such diseases would help to contain the diseases to prevent further complications.... [tags: public education, public health]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- There have been quite a few cuts made in Iowa's state budget recently, and people are arguing about which areas should be cut more and which should be cut less. Many would say that education should never be cut, and maybe transportation, or something “no one cares about” should be cut as much as necessary to make sure no teachers lose their jobs. There is only one area of the budget, however, that not only pays for itself, but can help save thousands of dollars in other budgets. An increase in the available funds for the renewable energy department would not only save hundreds of thousands of dollars, it would assist other departments in cutting their costs.... [tags: Energy ]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- ... This scale measures the particular damage to estimate the wind speed, as it is pretty impossible to measure the actual wind speed inside of a tornado. This Midwest tornado outbreak had a variety of tornado intensity. Most of the tornados were EF1-EF3 although a couple very strong EF4 tornados were reported. The first tornado to touch down that day was in Pekin, Illinois; the tornado was measured as an EF2, with a wind speed around 120 mph. thankfully there were no fatalities associated with this particular tornado, although there were at least 10 people injured from this event.... [tags: weather, torandoes, outbreaks]
837 words (2.4 pages)
- Brooke Felderman The University of Iowa Art Museum Propaganda and Power Individuals in positions of power have been developing new ways to influence populations toward a cause, or position for centuries. The act of propaganda is giving information that is not impartial and used primarily to influence an audience in regards to a further agenda, often by presenting facts selectively. Terms like, “purposeful persuasion”, or “systematic attempt to shape perceptions” can also be associated with propaganda.... [tags: Roman Empire, Augustus, Ancient Rome, Domitian]
792 words (2.3 pages)
- Namaste. This was said to me when we were leaving the Temple in Madrid, Iowa on October 3, 2015. I never really knew what it meant until that day, I learned a lot of new traditions and rituals about the Hindus by going to temple. I learned a lot about a culture I had really never experienced before that day in my life. I received a firsthand look on what happens during temple and how they praise and worship their deities. The temple building itself was very large when we first pulled up to it. It was a large white building with sculptures of many of their deities on the top arch.... [tags: Respect, Religion, Worship, Monotheism]
1619 words (4.6 pages)
- Introduction It was the end of the war, and all countries were stoked that there was finally peace in the world… But thats when they were wrong. It was a humid 80 degree morning in Miami Florida. Jack was just waking up to go to school. He was a bright and intelligent kid. His mom and dad were happy to have such a son. But one day they didn’t know that was going to be the last time they would see him. They sent him off to walk to school. Thats when they struck… They came in so fast, that he had no time to defend himself.... [tags: personal narrative]
1562 words (4.5 pages)
- Deadly Outbreak It is March 2003 and my life-long dream of traveling around the world is finally coming true. It seems like since I was born I have longed to visit the far corners of the world, and finally, now that I finished college and I have some time to travel I get to visit Europe and Asia. Yet somehow my visit to Asia is not exactly what I imagined it would be. It is not the diverse culture; it is not the unusual food; it is not the remarkable atmosphere or the people that are marring my trip.... [tags: SARS Health Medical Essays]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Filoviruses Viruses are microscopic intracellular parasites that can only reproduce within a host cell. Viruses lack the enzymes for the process of metabolism and contain no ribosomes or other parts to make their own proteins. The types of cells a virus can infect are limited to its host range. Filoviruses (Figure 1) belong to a virus family called Filoviridae and can cause severe hemorrhagic fever in humans and nonhuman primates. Filovirus virons appear in several shapes; these shapes are known as pleomorphism.... [tags: essays research papers]
2085 words (6 pages)