My school experience did little, if anything, to prepare me to become a well-rounded citizen. I did not learn a more diverse vocabulary or how to analyze and learn information because my teachers were not motivated to teach these topics properly. Also, while I may have learned the basic politics of America, I do not know nearly enough to make me a strongly reliable citizen. In addition, I feel as if my inadequate education could have been avoided if I was given a solid education rather than simply what I needed to get by. My personal quality as a citizen and future leader of America as been greatly impacted by many failures of my high school education. My school experience with learning how to create a more fulfilling future for myself was similar to the situations described by the textbook authors.
Michael Moore said, “a nation that not only churns our illiterate students BUT GOES OUT OF ITS WAY TO REMAIN IGNORANT AND STUPID is not a nation that should be running the world,” (Moore 123) stating that the education system in America not only fails to teach students, but also instills a lack of confidence in those people running the country. In my school, the teachers were required to teach us a set of vocabulary words each week. Most of the time, my teachers treated vocabulary as a burden and neglected to put emphasis on studying it. Moore is implying that America is illiterate because of teachers not putting effort into teaching literacy. This is in part due the minimal priority placed on education and the motivation of teachers to teach. Moore stated, “…the person who cares for our child every day receives an average of $41,351 annually” (Moore 129) showing that teachers do not have a lot of mo...
... middle of paper ...
.... My classmates and I were given these scores and were told to chose the path that best suited us. In my opinion, students should not be sorted by test scores. I always chose the highest possible learning opportunity offered by my school no matter what my standardized test scores said because those scores determine nothing.
To conclude, my future life has been impacted largely by the education system present in America today. Basic concepts, such as literacy, were neglected and have created a struggle in me everyday writing habits. Furthermore, I have not been properly taught the importance of politics and morals in being an American citizen. Lastly, my leadership skills have been significantly hindered due to lack of early application of these skills. Finally, all of these concepts have led to the inability for me to enhance my true potential as a member of society.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Each week during my practicum experience I gain additional understanding of the impact school counselors make in student lives. To be an effective school counselor, one must recognize each student as individual. A personal goal I set out of this practicum experience is to learn how to identity student needs and understand issues students face in the school environment. Each year the school counselors at Brooke Point High School, organize an Ice Cream Social to welcome new students to the school and help them meet other new students in the school.... [tags: School counselor, Education, University]
760 words (2.2 pages)
- One of the major changes to increase parental involvement is to allow many of the school council membership to be parents and guardians of the students. Research has shown over and over that parental involvement has a great impact on student achievement and overall school experience. As a matter of fact, Wilder (2014) states that “the impact of parental involvement on student academic achievement has been recognized by teachers, administrators, and policy-makers who consider parental involvement to be one of the integral parts of new educational reforms and initiatives” (p.... [tags: High school, Education, Primary school]
1980 words (5.7 pages)
- There are two types of people who attain success in Life. Some achieve their goals in a single shot and some achieve with experiences of their past. The mindset of the person who achieves success with experiences is strong. I am the one who was successful with my experiences. My experiences at the boarding school have taught me what a student should do in order to get success. It is always tough for a student to concentrate on studies if he is staying away from home. The one who overcomes those distractions and disturbances will always get success in life.... [tags: English-language films, High school]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- After being an elementary education and special education major at Ball State University, I have had many new teaching experiences. This semester, I was given the opportunity to teach at Burris Laboratory School. It was great to observe a classroom with a teacher who had been teaching for so long. Although I know there will be challenges, I want to continue in the teaching program. EDEL 200 has allowed many experiences that has shown me how to be a successful teacher. I will continue in the teaching program since I enjoyed working on my activity plans throughout the semester as well as applying what I learned when working with my students.... [tags: Education, Learning, School]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- A cloudy day driving in Anaheim, I pull into a small rough and bumpy parking lot that looks like someone stomped through it, leaving potholes everywhere. I arrived at Savannah High School in Anaheim, California, where I parked next to an old gym and tennis courts. I began to walk towards a small door that read “trainer” in bring red and gold letters above the door frame, inside is where I found Kevinz Capioca the Head Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC) for Savannah High School in the Anaheim Union High School District (AUHSD).... [tags: High school, College, Athletic trainer]
1202 words (3.4 pages)
- Background The year was 2007, I gave birth to my son on the second of October. When our eyes met, we instantly bonded and soon after seeing him, the world as I viewed it changed forever. Immediately following, I wanted to fix everything that was wrong with the young boys in my village specifically the ones that were taught in middle school grades 6-8. Violence and tom foolery needed to stop because I did not want anything negative to happen to the children, whether it was my children or someone else’s, I desired universal peace.... [tags: High school, Middle school, Secondary school]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- The more Experience There is this Chinese saying that my father always tells me: “I have tasted more salt than you have rice.” The rice symbolizes the whole experience and the salt, being wisdom, is what you learned from the experiences. The size of a single grain of salt is far smaller compared to a grain of rice. If one consumed more salt than another’s rice, then according to this saying, someone that is older than another will have more wisdom than that another’s experiences in total. This idiom is usually used when an elder, usually a wise member of a Chinese community, is teaching a young one a lesson.... [tags: Knowledge, Experience, Macbeth, Addition]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Back when I first started school and never really thought about anything logical or what I wanted to do, I didn’t really even know what was the point of school, it all seemed like a waste of time. I would wake up drag myself to school and just dreamed about going home and playing with my friends. Yeah I would hear my parents tell me about high school and college etc. but I never thought those days would come as I had a lot of time, but man was I wrong. Elementary was back when I didn 't really know what was going on, all that was on my mind back then was recess and the bell ringing as we all scurried to our bus to get home.... [tags: High school, College, Middle school, Education]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- From as early as I can remember I have always loved learning. When I was younger, before I started any form of formal education, I remember always wanting to know what was going on and being a part of everything. My mom ran a day care in our home when I was growing up and I think that is what may have sparked my love of learning initially. She had kids of all pre-kindergarten ages and she has told me that I always looked up to the older kids and wanted to be doing everything they were doing. I think this had to do with the fact that I always wanted to learn and make sure that I was doing my best.... [tags: Education, High school, School, Teacher]
1393 words (4 pages)
- I met my boyfriend on Snapchat which, if I do say so myself, is a pretty great accomplishment. The summer after my senior year of high school, I was in search of a job that would contribute to my college fund as well as be more enjoyable and fulfilling than an hourly part-time job, it was my last summer before college after all. I ended up working at a summer camp where I developed close friendships, seeing people at their best as they worked to love on the kids that came for a week of camp and worst as they worked to have patience with those same kids all while going days without showering.... [tags: Friendship, High school]
774 words (2.2 pages)