International Food Policy Research institute, Washington DC and ICAAP (IKP Centre for Advancement in Agricultural practice) joined together to establish global agricultural knowledge facility through information and communication technology (ICT) in India. The project aims to establish an interactive internet-based platform for facilitating knowledge and experience sharing between the various agri-stakeholders (including men and women farmers, extension agents, agricultural scientists, agro-industries, agri-financing institutions, policymakers and planners).
To kick start the project, being piloted in Thanjavur and Thiruvarur districts, we visited the locations to understand existing agricultural extension systems in the region, needs and demands of stakeholders in accessing scientific information through various channels. To explore the probable entry points to pilot IFPRI - ICAAP knowledge portal in the locality, we interacted with knowledge intermediaries like extension professionals, KVK (Farm science centre), agricultural research station, civil society organizations, KGFS, farmers associations and small and marginal farming community.
Agriculture scenario at Thanjavur and Thiruvarur districts
Rice and Rice fallow pulses i.e. black gram and green gram and oilseeds i.e. Gingelly, groundnut (Rainfed crop) are the dominant crops in Thanjavur and Thiruvarur districts. Most of the farmers depend on Cauvery water to meet their farming activities. In some of the areas, progressive farmers grow sugarcane and banana by using bore-well water as annual crop.
Recently, the stagnation in growth of rice productivity was noti...
... middle of paper ...
...n the new rural economy.
• Extension agents and subject matter specialist in an ideal world would resemble knowledge brokers. They need to articulate the demand of farmers for knowledge, facilitate linkages between stakeholders with ideas and resources and manage the knowledge process.
• Extension worker lacks ability to handhold the stakeholders who are involved in the crop value chain and lacks relationship skills with the farming community until the end product.
IFPRI-ICAAP will join with above local stakeholders to implement the project and bring the innovative and sustainable model to provide comprehensive advisory services to the small and marginal farmers and link them with the market for profit realization.
Senthil Kumar Govindararajan, Project Coordinator, IFPRI and can be reached email@example.com
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Role of Change Agents As the move toward an evidence-based approach in criminology has gathered momentum over the past decade, increased attention has been paid to strategies that try to ensure that knowledge gained from the best evidence is actually used in practice. For the strategies to work, liaisons between basic research and practice are needed to make certain that research is being utilized to its maximum potential. These liaisons or change agents will provide abundant benefits to the task force and I hope to provide you with a comprehensive list of talented change agents that can be of use on our advisory board.... [tags: Business Management ]
2488 words (7.1 pages)
- Velutha of Small Things The small, more trivial things in life are more often than not eschewed, and because of this they are left to find a safe haven in furtive localities similar to “History House” or the river. Being the watch keeper of these small things can be good as well as bad, as shown through Velutha’s ultimate fate. In the novel “The God of Small Things”, Arundhati Roy shows the minute details that fill her characters' lives and furnish the dwellings that cannot protect them. Not only does Roy address the importance of small things, but she also does this through giving the title of “The God of Small Things” to Velutha.... [tags: The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy]
1362 words (3.9 pages)
- Parental Advisory On sale now in a music store near you. The following are excerpts of songs from well known American artists that can be purchased. While each of these albums all have a parental advisory label, they in fact can be purchased by any consumer of any age. Let’s hear what they have to say… One of you tries to grab a knife /And during the struggle he accidentally gets his Adam's apple sliced /(No!) /And while this is goin' on /His son just woke up and he just walks in /She panics and he gets his throat cut /(Oh my God!) /So now they both dead and you slash your own throat /So now it's double homicide and suicide with no note… Now shut the fuck up and get what's comin to you/NO... [tags: Music Lyrics Essays]
1703 words (4.9 pages)
- Change of Hearts-Small Group Project My group consisted of four other members-Christy, Daniel, Brian, and Allison. When we were first introduced to the idea of a small group project we knew that our presentation had to entertain the audience, and at the same time inform them. At that point, we were functioning as individuals. Each of us tossed out a ton of ideas and some were shot down right away. That took about 5minutes. Then Daniel mentioned that we can do a parody of the television show Change of Hearts, and it stuck to us like glue.... [tags: Papers]
907 words (2.6 pages)
- Managing to be On-Time Project Time Management Project Management for Information Systems Table of Contents 1 Introduction 4 2 What is Time Management? 5 3 Why is Time Management Important? 6 4 What are some of the Challenges in Time Management? 10 5 Summary 12 6 References: 13 Table of Figures Figure 3 1 Typical Project Performance 8 Figure 3 2 Project Performance after Milestones are Identified 9 1 Introduction All project managers know about or should know about the "triple constraints of project management" - all projects are constrained by three elements: scope, time and cost.... [tags: Project Management]
1880 words (5.4 pages)
- If I was assigned to run the CSM’s re-design website project, first, I will talk to the project sponsors (board members and faculties and stakeholders) to develop this re-designing project’s charter, and set other details with them such as time and budget of this project. Based on the time, budget, and amount of required work, I will develop a project team below. - Project management - Usability and information architect team - Design team - Web developing team - Site editing team First, project managers who will be in charge of project planning, communication, budgeting, and scheduling.... [tags: re-design, website project, CMS]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- Functional, Matrix, and Dedicated Team Approaches to Managing Projects These team approaches have all different set of advantages and disadvantages to them. The major difference between the three is that functional team approach is “employed” totally from within the parent organization. Functional approaches have absolutely no cost to them and provide more than adequate flexibility in the use of staff. However, its disadvantages include poor integration and a distinct lack of ownership that does not leave employees discouraged to project related activities.... [tags: Project Management]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- Implementation The implementation stage of any project is a true display of the defining moments that make a project a success or a failure. The implementation stage is defined as "the system or system modifications being installed and made operational in a production environment. The phase is initiated after the system has been tested and accepted by the user. This phase continues until the system is operating in production in accordance with the defined user requirements" (DOJ, 1). While all of the planning that takes place in preparation of the implementation phase is critical, I am of the opinion that the implementation itself is equally as important.... [tags: Project Management]
1673 words (4.8 pages)
- Decisions in Paradise The corporation of CIGNA Healthcare has hired an employee Gardline as key person in the implementation of having CIGNA Healthcare have a presence in Kava, South Pacific (University of Phoenix, 2007). The presence of CIGNA Healthcare is needed to assist in the overall development of the Kava Island for its people, lively hood and healthcare epidemic. Using the decision making process, Gardline will use various techniques and principles to implement a change in Kava and bring a needed presence to the KAVA people.... [tags: Project Development]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- Project Scheduling Managing a project is no easy task. A project is a series of tasks or jobs that are related to each other and directed toward a common goal or output. Projects usually require a significant time commitment, and tend to be handled by groups of workers. The employees at Craft Construction, a small business that deals with complete remodeling and some small commercial buildings, generally divide into groups of two or three workers per project. The number of employees assigned to a job usually depends on the size of the project.... [tags: Business Project Management]
1919 words (5.5 pages)