There are four major sections in an APA paper. They consist of the title page, abstract, main body, and references. The title page of an APA paper has recently been changed in the publication of the sixth edition of the APA Publication Manual. In the title page a writer should include the title of the paper, the writer’s name, and the school affiliation. It is suggested that the title should be no more than 12 words, and when writing ones name, not to include titles or degree info such as Dr. or Ph.D. Also the title page should include, at the top of the page, a running head that is flush left and a page number that is flush right.
The abstract, one of the four major sections in an APA paper, is the section where one would summarize research that was conducted, the methods of which the thesis was tested, the findings of the research, the purpose of the research, the analysis of data, and conclusions. It should begin on a new page and already include the page header. “Abstract” should be centered on the first line of the abstract page with no bold, italics, underlining, or quotation marks. The abstract should be double-spaced and a single paragraph around 150 to 250 words. Keywords may be listed to h...
... middle of paper ...
...ieved June 18, 2011, from http://psychology.vanguard.edu/faculty/douglas-degelman/apa-style/
Driscoll, D. (2010, April 21). Purdue OWL: Writing in Psychology: Experimental Report Writing . Welcome to the Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL). Retrieved June 22, 2011, from http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/670/03/
Johns, J., Fox, T., & Silvia, R. (n.d.). APA Writing Style. DK Schools. Retrieved June 26, 2011, from dkschools1.org/Documents/apa%5B1%5D.pdf
Mongan-Rallis, H. (2006, November 17). Guidelines for writing a literature review . University of Minnesota Duluth Welcomes You. Retrieved June 22, 2011, from http://www.duluth.umn.edu/~hrallis/guides/researching/litreview.html
What is APA Style?. (n.d.). APA Style. Retrieved June 18, 2011, from http://www.apastyle.org/learn/faqs/what-is-apa-style.aspx?apaSessionKey=9E1D0F5CFDDB1694AFB05C302651AD48
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- APA Style Sample APA (American Psychological Association) style is primarily used in the social science disciplines. It is formatted like MLA, and shows many similarities, but is unique in several key points. APA uses parenthetical (or in-text) citations within sentences, but rather than indicating the author's name and page number, APA includes author's name and date of publication. The page number, represented with a p. or a pp., is only added to the citation when using a direct quote (not a summary or paraphrase).... [tags: APA]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- APA 6th Edition Formatting Three Citations Using Direct Quotes Intuition and analysis are two cognitive styles used by entrepreneurs in new venture formation. Researches Kickul, Gundry, Barbosa, and Whitcanack (2009) studied the effects of intuition versus analysis on entrepreneurial self-efficacy and found that “individuals with the intuitive cognitive style were more confident in their ability to identify and recognize opportunities,” but “individuals with the analytic cognitive style were more confident in their abilities to assess, evaluate, plan, and marshal resources” (p.... [tags: Language]
914 words (2.6 pages)
- ... A book with two authors is needed for this paper, so I picked one at random. Within the chosen book, the first statement is; “When I was little, my dad used to tell me, “Will, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can’t pick your friend’s nose.”” (Green & Levithan, 2011). I have no idea what this book is about; I just know it’s intended for a juvenile audience. Newspapers are widely used for information, so I’m going to cite one as well. The nearest newspaper to me is The Sun Star, and an interesting article in this newspaper is written by Kurtis Gosney.... [tags: practicing research paper formats]
557 words (1.6 pages)
- ... There is no better way for me to work on my quiet and shy personality than for me to do public speaking. Next month, I am scheduled to teach a class for three days to twenty students. I have reviewed my presentation and videos and feel ready to teach the course. I will capitalize on my strengths by allowing my desire and determination to overcome my weaknesses (Bethel University, 2014). Reference Bethel University. (2014). Unit 2: Who Are You?. Retrieved from https://www.betheluniversityonline.net/ Solid communication skills are a necessity to the workforce and the functions of everyday life (Bethel University, 2014).... [tags: Writing, Citation, Communication, APA style]
885 words (2.5 pages)
- ... Lastly, pathos, are the parts of the text that moves one 's heart, or in other words, activates one 's emotions. Using analogies, figurative language, the repetition of a certain point, imagery, diction, and tone appeal to the reader 's senses. In an analytical essay, it is extremely important to use evidence and support in chronological order so everything will be easier to interpret. Reading like a writer is important to find out what the author is saying and why he or she is stating that.... [tags: Writing, Rhetoric, Writing process, Writer]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- ... For doing this, students do a survey and collect reviews through Questionnaires , the more they are distributed , the more they collect reviews and shop around the product. While Qualitative research is about emphasizing on such topics that can’t be measured or calculated . In other words, a topic that has sentimental appeal , containing abstract element, we can dive deep to interpret them and describe their true meanings. In this regard, what can be the most best and accessible thing than literature which allow students to give their own opinion and interpret things according to their way of though... [tags: Academia, Academic dishonesty, Writing, University]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Improving writing skills is critical to the college student’s success across all academic disciplines. Writing has become the key to survival in many fields of study. (Pirš1, Pirš1, & Kesié, 2011) There are several strategies to become an effective college-level writer. An important strategy for a writer is project management. Next, writing with a purpose is an essential step. Another crucial guideline is following the mechanics of writing. Finally, utilizing online resources provides the writer invaluable knowledge and references.... [tags: College Writing Essays]
689 words (2 pages)
- Utilizing the information uncovered from your self-assessment, determine your five weakest areas, as well as your five strongest areas. In doing a self-assessment you will learn more about yourself. As in what you really do know and what you thought you knew about yourself. You will find out there are some areas in which you thought you was good at and after the assessment you find will find out you are not as good as you thought you was. By, doing the self-assessment you can also find out that some of the things that you were not good in you are actually good at you just could use a little more help in those areas.... [tags: Writing, Nonverbal communication, Communication]
886 words (2.5 pages)
- Writing Style I hear inner Strunk and White voices of “don’t overwrite”, “write in a way that comes naturally,” and so forth, going through my head. I have visions of endless Williams examples and illustrations on clarity. I see weeks of blog writings flashing through my memory. From all of this, I now own and believe in a firm and personal definition of what style is and what good writing entails. William Strunk and E.B. White’s book The Elements of Style, along with Joseph M. Williams’s book Style Toward Clarity and Grace helped lead me to this point, which is: what is the point.... [tags: Writing Style Styles Essays]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Writing Style What is writing style. I started out thinking that writing style is a personal thing and that all writers have their own style. But, this way of thinking is really just a simple way to answer the question. After more careful thought, I realized that style is actually quite the opposite of personal and original. Style is a form of standardization. As writers, we all follow certain rules and guidelines to make our point. Style is these rules and guidelines. For a writer to better understand style, multitudes of books and helpful guides have been published.... [tags: Writing Styles Style Essays]
1425 words (4.1 pages)