LASIK eye surgery has become a common procedure amongst people with vision troubles like myopia (near-sightedness), hypermetropia (farsightedness), and astigmatism. This corrective surgery is considered to be one of the best options in correcting eyesight, but also one that makes many patients cringe. LASIK surgery uses lasers to reshape the cornea and by doing so, corrects the patient’s vision.
In the 1950’s, the idea of LASIK surgery began in the mind of Jose Barraquer. He created the technique of cutting small flaps of the cornea off of the eye in order to reshape it. In addition to this procedure he also did research into how to ensure that this procedure of reshaping the cornea would have long lasting effects on its patients. (Wikipedia) After Barraquer, Svyatoslav Fyodorov continued research by creating radial keratotomy, also known as RK. This procedure still deals with the idea of cutting the flaps of the cornea, however, Fyodorov uses a knife and cuts incisions like “the spokes of a wheel” on the eye, thus explaining why it’s called radial keratotomy. (Wikipedia RADIAL)
The introduction of lasers into surgery didn’t even happen until 1980 when an IBM research scientist discovered that a particular laser, an ultraviolet excimer laser to be exact, had the ability to make cuts into human tissue without damaging other areas around it. (Wikipedia) Later, in 1985, Trokel added the laser into his radial keratotomy procedure with success. He was then able to do the first VISX refractive laser eye surgery from this successful discovery of laser surgery. (LASIK History)
After much further advancement, more than this paper allots for, LASIK i...
... middle of paper ...
... errors and they will also have to have their cornea’s shape and thickness checked out again. If the cornea is too thin and if the cornea is too steep the patient will be rejected and further procedure will not be likely.
"LASIK History." LASIK History. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
"LASIK." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
Mayo Clinic Staff. "LASIK Eye Surgery." Risks. N.p., 25 Feb. 2014. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
Tyson, Jeff. "Lasik Surgery." HowStuffWorks. N.p., 19 Sept. 2001. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
Yo, Christopher, MD, PHD. "LASIK Future Advances ." LASIK Future Advances. N.p., 16 Nov. 2012. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.
"Radial Keratotomy." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 21 Apr. 2014. Web. 26 Apr. 2014.
"LASIK Overcorrection & LASIK Undercorrection." LASIK Eye Surgery at the Best LASIK Cost. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How many of you know what laser surgery is. Perhaps, you have heard of this, but today lets learn about this procedure. The definition for laser eye surgery is, surgery used to correct vision in people who are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism. Lasik surgery is an outpatient procedure, and there is no overnight stay. Before you begin any kind of surgery it is beneficial you speak to your eye doctor. Set up an appointment to see what kind of laser surgery would be right for you. This will give the doctor an opportunity to see if you qualify for this type of a procedure.... [tags: Surgery, Laser, LASIK, Refractive surgery]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Seeing well without contact lenses and glasses is the dream of millions of Americans and modern medical science has enabled that dream to come true (Caster, 8). Since first grade, Dede Head, a 30-year-old fitness trainer in North Carolina, has worn glasses to correct sever nearsightedness and astigmatism. Over the years she became accustomed to wearing glasses and contacts, but this has limited many important aspects of her life, including sports. She then heard of a laser eye surgery that “supposedly”, helped to correct a person’s vision by means of lasers.... [tags: LASIK Surgery Essays]
3011 words (8.6 pages)
- The LASIK Surgical Procedure LASIK is a surgical procedure done on the eyes so that people can see ok better. One would not have to wear contacts or glasses anymore. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, LASIK is a surgical procedure done to reduce the use of glasses and contacts. However doctors say that if one is comfortable wearing their contacts and glasses then they should continue doing so. Why is that. There are many risks and complications with the procedure that one must weigh out before going through with it.... [tags: Research Papers Essays]
372 words (1.1 pages)
- Refractive Laser Surgery: An In-Depth Look at Lasik Refractive laser surgery offers the chance to have near perfect vision, a God-send to people who are tired of wearing glasses. As its popularity grows, it is worth taking an in-depth look at Lasik and finding out what this wonder surgery entails. Refractive laser surgery is a surgery to correct the refractive index of the eye to reduce the need for glasses or contact lenses. It can correct such vision problems such as myopia, or nearsightedness, hyperopia, or farsightedness, and astigmatism, which is the inability of the cornea to focus a sharp image on the cornea.... [tags: Lasik, Eye Correction]
1180 words (3.4 pages)
- Nowadays, different options for correcting vision problems are available. LASIK eye surgery is one of these options that is a procedure done on the cornea; the clear part in front of the eye. This procedure tends to reduce the dependence on glasses and contact lenses and provide excellent vision. LASIK has been proposed as the perfect way to provide excellent vision without the need for glasses. Furthermore, some advantages have been emphasised such as the shortness of procedure duration time and the immediate noticeable excellent results.... [tags: Medical Technology]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- Putting a Close Eye on LASIK Laser-Assisted In situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is a surgical operation intended to allow an individual to live independent of glasses or contacts. Since 1995, when the Food and Drug Administration approved the type of laser used in corrective eye surgery, optometrists have developed a number of different procedures to clear up foggy or blurry vision in one's eye. In 1998, the Lasik surgery became the most common type of surgery, and remains the number one refractive eye surgery today.... [tags: Eyesight Vision Corrective Surgery]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- LASIK Vision Correction Are you ready to give up your glasses or contacts. LASIK vision correction is an up-and-coming procedure designed to reduce your dependence on glasses and contacts. My objective is to show both sides of the procedure, the risks involved and the wonderful possibility of not having to wear glasses or corrective lenses. Of patients with moderate vision impairments who have had the LASIK surgery performed, eighty-two percent achieve 20/20 vision or better and ninety-nine percent achieve 20/40 or better (May 60).... [tags: Lasik Seeing Eye blind Essays]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- Vision is the sense that let people have fun by seeing things and how other people look like so they can judge who is beautiful and who's not. Some people don't know how important vision is. Actually, I'm one of those people who didn't know how important vision was so I used my eyes pretty much and lost most of my eyesight. I used to watch TV everyday, play pc games and stay up late until I get tired. Now, I regret for what I?ve done to my eyes and hopes I can bring back my vision. What really bugs me about that is when my teacher asks me to answer or read something on the board, I can?t read it so students and the teacher think that I don?t know the answer.... [tags: essays research papers]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- " Laser eye surgery " What makes someone with law Vision have a laser eye surgery?. "Laser eye surgery" or "Lasik" or "laser corneal sculpting" it’s a revolutionary mutation in the field of medicine. Thanks to Lasik people have no more to wear their glasses or lenses. In this operation the surgeon uses a specific kind of laser to reshape the cornea. Although there is a very small ratio for the mistake or the Failure of this kind of surgery, but it is a very effective way to treat the deficiency of the sight.... [tags: reshaping the cornea]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- A Student Looks at Two Websites on Lasik Surgery (laser surgery) Today there are so many choices in life and a person who wears glasses or contacts might decide to eliminate the need for such medical devices. Lasik (Laser assisted in situ keratomileusis), the most commonly performed type of laser surgery, is an effective treatment that can correct many vision problems by reshaping the cornea. Life without glasses or contact lenses would be easier and more enjoyable for any human being. But can a person’s vision get worse after the procedure.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1706 words (4.9 pages)