According to the article, “Being There” by Robert D. Kaplan, travel is an important part of life, but it must be done right. The article starts with Kaplan on a plane and landing to find numerous emails which require serious responses; showing how constantly available people are. He states, “The media tells us how lucky we are to live in the Information Age. I believe we have created hell on Earth for ourselves.” Kaplan also talks about back in the day when there was no advance notice of arrivals. People did not waste time sending emails to set up appointments; instead hospitality was offered, almost without question. Today, any questions would be directed towards a website for the answer. The intensity of ...
... middle of paper ...
... a person’s life. For many, it is also a luxury which should not be taken for granted. Kaplan makes some great points defending technology-free traveling, which should be passed on to future generations. Especially because each new generation will be more and more technology reliant. It is important for people to live outside of the technological world, not just because they are told to, but because they want to. Learning to appreciate the moment while also communicating and acknowledging one’s company are great practices to live by, even when not traveling. With that being said, combining this mindset with fundamental technology use just might create the perfect harmony. Truly appreciating an authentic experience, surroundings, and community while having the opportunity to snap shot the memory seems fool proof enough, with benefits that can last a life time.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Online Friends Example Nowadays, technology plays a significant role in all our lives. Friends come and go but online friendships stays unless you deleted them on your friends list. For instance, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Tinder are the most common websites on where to add friends even without meeting them yet. You can call and talk using this applications and you can also send chat messages anytime, anywhere. If you are trying to find your long lost friends from elementary or high school, you can simply start to search and look them up on Facebook and once they pop, go figure just click their name and request to add them as your friend.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Friendship, Meatspace]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Technology is playing an ever increasing role as countries around the world seek to find alternative, renewable sources of energy. Solar panels and wind turbines, once too cost prohibitive for everyday use, are beginning to show up on homes and dot the country side as we take advantage of Mother Nature. Three more scientific or technological developments that are helping to secure access to energy include sustainable oil from algae, bladeless wind turbines In their 2015 article, Sustainable oil from algae: the technology is ready, but what about the politics, Tamburic and Malik discuss the viability of using algae as an alternative to traditional crude oil.... [tags: Wind power, Wind turbine, Renewable energy]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- As technology becomes more important to our daily lives we have found that it has become a part of our culture to expect that everyone is connected to technology. There are articles like the ``The Flight From Conversation`` and ``Is Facebook Making Us Lonely`` that show that our continued use of technology has changed the way we think and act. Many people point their fingers towards social media sites as one of the culprits of this change. A majority of people argue that social media has had a negative effect on how we socialize, I would argue that technology is a tool that people use and that its effects, as a whole, are positive.... [tags: Sociology, Social media, Affect, Effect]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- Big Bad Technology Technology is an important issue that my generation will face in the coming years if it is used inappropriately. Albert Einstein states his input on how technology will be an issue: “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots”. Many people say that technology will affect people’s ability to think properly and claims that we will have a generation of people who are ignorant compared to earlier generations. Technology has shaped how people live their lives on a regular basis and it defines my generation as the technology generation.... [tags: Communication, Mobile phone, Affect]
1110 words (3.2 pages)
- Instant gratification is defined as fulfilling satisfactions gained by impulsive behaviors, or in laymen’s terms, choosing now over tomorrow. In today’s high pace society each person desires results, and they want them quickly because of smart phones. Smart phones grant the ability to stay connected, communicate, and search for information instantly. The convenience and instantaneous nature of smart phones has created a society that is impatient. By being able to connect and communicate at all times, it is now expected from each other.... [tags: Mobile phone, Technology, IPhone, YouTube]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- Too Connected. Throughout the existence of humanity, technology has evolved with us. Introducing itself primitively with rocks and sticks to compensate for what our hands were not able to do, and ultimately progressing into computers and smartphones to accomplish much more intricate tasks. These devices are now at our disposal, being seen in almost every household and every pocket in the world, but how much does technology actually affect us in our everyday lives. It could be more poignant than most may think.... [tags: Human, Humans, Thought, Prehistory]
1370 words (3.9 pages)
- Does technology affect people or do people affect technology. Technology affects every aspect of our lives, we all use it every day with little thought. People take it for granted, sometimes knowing little about what brought that technology into existence. At the same time older generations have a hard time adopting the new technologies and continue to favor technology they are accustomed. The idea of technology is as old as the human race. To understand technology; first we need a common definition.... [tags: Technology Essays]
1170 words (3.3 pages)
- Technology today has taken a big roll today in many people’s lives including myself. It is safe to say that it has come such a long way from what it once was and is only increasing at a rapid rate. This can be a very scary thing, but also a good thing if you think about it. The reason that I say this is because it has done so much for us so far and at the same time we are almost dependent on half of the things we use such as cell phones, computers, tablets etc. I am very much a big fan in technology and look forward to seeing what comes out next, but the real question we have to ask our self’s is “Is technology affecting our lives for the better or worse”.... [tags: Education, Technology, Educational psychology]
2008 words (5.7 pages)
- Introduction There are many ways that technology can be used in today’s society. It is important that every business knows how to use technology effectively. With the use of technology businesses can run more smoothly and efficiently. But technology can also create a problem within a business if it is not utilized correctly. This summer my family traveled to St. Thomas for a family vacation. Getting to St. Thomas was not a problem, but leaving the island there were a lot of difficulties with the use of technology that made it almost impossible to leave.... [tags: Technology, Information technology, Employment]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- Imagine yourself waking up to the sounds of summer birds chirping outside your window and the smell of breakfast cooking over a wood fire. You get dressed and travel to see what your family has ready for breakfast. Everyone gathers at the table to enjoy a home cooked meal and discusses the plans for the day. Will you play in the yard with your younger brother or help your father in the garden that will feed your family during the cold harsh winter. No matter what you choose you will be outside while your mother is inside cleaning up the breakfast dishes and canning homemade jams.... [tags: Technology ]
1235 words (3.5 pages)