To establish rapport with my client I introduced myself and talked a little about my major and the purpose of us meeting. I then asked her to tell me a little about herself. She came in very excited and eager to learn ways to increase fruit and vegetable consumption. She was smiling at all times and shared that she was 5 months pregnant. I congratulated her on her baby and asked her if she knew what she was having as a way to get her to feel comfortable talking with me. Before I began asking her questions I assured her that everything she shared with me was going to be kept confidential. Furthermore, I informed her that she did not have to answer at any time any question she did not feel comfortable answering. I was able observe a big sigh of relief as she relaxed herself on her chair. I feel that making good eye contact and using reflective listening helped me for further establishing rapport. Reflective listening assisted to show I was listening to her. For example, I remember using phrases like, So let me see if I understand during our session as a way to show her that I was listening. At all times during our meeting I smiled and praised her for her motivation in attempting to change her behavior. This tremendously helped boost her confidence and eagerness to want to start right away with her behavior change.
What Stage of Change were they in and how did you assess their Stage of Change?
I was able to determine that my client was in the preparation stage because she was aware of the importance of her eating vegetables and fruits for both her and the baby’s health. Furthermore, because she is in the process of beginning to change right away.
What strategies did y...
... middle of paper ...
... definitely helpful for me because I was able to learn of new areas I need to practice in. Also, to not be afraid to not always know how to handle every scenario since I am only a novice. I definitely still have a lot to learn and experience to become an expert. I am excited to do more real live counseling sessions like this one so that I can strength my skills and become more confident in working in this type of settings. I plan to research more strategies when coming across different scenarios to be better prepared. Furthermore, practice and practice more with different people that I do not know to be comfortable working with people with different personalities. For example, people that are quieter, shy, and perhaps anti-social so that I can practice in learning ways of establishing rapport with them and working in making them feel more comfortable talking to me.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What educational or professional experiences have prepared you for doctoral study. My purpose for seeking to pursue a doctorate degree is to enhance my knowledge of theories, research methods and assessment as it relates to psychology. More specifically, I would like to fine tune my skill set of executing varying concepts and techniques derived from theoretical discourses applicable to my work as a Psychologist and in so doing, obtain credibility within the field and among colleagues. I also believe, like Abraham Maslow in his theory of Human motivation, in becoming a lifelong learner and achieving intellectual self-actualization.... [tags: Psychology, Psychotherapy, Doctorate]
1387 words (4 pages)
- To establish a positive working relationship between the family and the social worker it is important to build rapport so that the family will feel at ease prior to doing any assessments or starting any work. The initial greeting with the family can be used to gauge the attitude about receiving services, the mood of each individual and the relationships between the family members (Collins, 2013). Ms. Guillory and Darius both appeared to be open and eager about the session that we were having that day.... [tags: effective family assessment]
2048 words (5.9 pages)
- As a teacher, I believe it is very important to communicate with parents. Building a rapport and communicating with parents helps to support all the work done in the classroom. I am writing this paper to share my communication experience with a family members of a student that has Autism. His parents are very involved in his well being at school and my cooperating teacher, his paraprofessional and myself have good rapport with his parents. One method of communication utilized included direct face-to-face conversation in the morning with his father and in the afternoon with his father or grandmother.... [tags: Mobile phone, Communication, Mother, Family]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Rapport and empathy are two essential skills for communication in health services. In this integrative essay, it is displayed how rapport and empathy play an important role for communication in health services, such as counselling and psychotherapy. Empathy helps building rapport with the client. Both skills are needed in counselling, because once the client has found trust in the counsellor there is a bigger chance of them opening up about their feelings. If a client has a good rapport with the counsellor, they are less likely to discontinue the sessions.... [tags: counseling, therapy]
1320 words (3.8 pages)
- ... However, it is important to realize that if the interviewee sees through the deception, all trust has been lost. The initial contact with them will be a professional greeting, usually followed by gathering administrative information. It is imperative that the interviewer begin to empathize with the interviewee at this point to begin placing the foundation of trust. One way to do this is to make “small-talk” about them and get them to open up with a topic unrelated to the investigation. Understanding their likes and dislikes can help steer the conversation to the incident that lead up to their interview.... [tags: Interview, Semi-structured interview]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- Interview Questions 1. Name and Title: Barbara Obiedzinski, Office Manager 2. Name of Company: Philip J. Obiedzinski DPM PA 3. How long have you worked in this field?: 33 years 4. How long have you worked at this company?: 33 years 5. What were your steps to getting this position. (Previous experience): I previously worked in the insurance industry and when my husband went into practice it was obvious that I could be of help to him. I also love technology and started the office with electronic billing years ago.... [tags: Insurance, Boiler insurance, Risk]
1340 words (3.8 pages)
- ... Giving each child the chance to be in charge teaches them a sense of responsibility and shows them what it is like to be a leader. All day, that child feels special and important. That fact that every child will get the opportunity to be the leader displays how the children act as a family. Everyone respects the teacher assistant as if that person was the teacher. It is really cool to witness such small humans working together and acting mature. 3. My supervising teacher has flash card testing in the hall during math time.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, History of education]
1237 words (3.5 pages)
Evaluating The Key Components And Reflect On How Those Have Impacted You As You Worked Way Through The Class
- ... Students are overwhelmed with the constant testing and often are reprimanded for not reaching the score that is labeled as successful. Low performing schools are often low funded, and since the schools perform low on tests they receive less overall funding. The schools that face the most poverty are not only struggling financially, but academically as well. They are struggling academically because quality educators do not want to teach at a failing school because often times their paycheck depends on that.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Private school]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Developing a new thing may not easy. There are many cases to think about. Especially when someone wants to establish his or her own business. “SBA defines a small business concern as one that is independently owned and operated, is organized for profit, and is not dominant in its field.” – SBA.gov (n.d.) Not all people know how to start a new business. He or she might start to think independent and organized the business by themselves. Branson said on his quote that “A business has to be involving, it has to be fun, and it has to exercise your creative instincts.”- Richard Branson (n.d.) Base on that quote, the owner’s need to consider what kind of business they want to build.... [tags: creative instincts, measure]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- 1.What teaching approaches worked well. The mathematics intervention program included a number of evidence-based approaches that worked well and assisted the student’s conceptual understanding and automaticity to retrieve basic number facts. When planning each lesson I attempted to follow a structured, consistent format, including: summarising learning from the previous lesson, stating and explaining the learning objective, explicit instructions, teacher-modelled examples and integrating the concrete-representational –abstract model (CRA).... [tags: Problem solving, Education, Learning, Idea]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- How Us How The America Justice System Today Isn 't What It Was?
- Social Media And Its Effects On Society
- The Work, Notional Communities, By Benedict Anderson
- Improving The Quality Of Care And The Highest Level Of Patient Safety
- Rhetorical Analysis Of Martin Luther King 's ' I Have A Dream '
- Abortion And Contraception By Dr. Mark Zia