In spite of the large variability in terms of format and components, there are certain desirable features that make appraisal forms particularly effective. These features are simplicity, relevancy, descriptiveness, adaptability, comprehensiveness, definitional clarity, communication and time orientation. (Aguinis, 2009, p. 119) In determining whether any changes or revisions are needed on the appraisal form used by a grocery retailer based in the United States, we felt that there was room for improvement. In comparing the appraisal form used by a grocery retailer to the nine major components of appraisal forms, we found that seven components were present.
The components that are present includes basic employee information, competencies and indicators, major achievements and contributions, developmental achievements, developmental needs, plans, and goals, employee comments, and signatures. Also included as components that are listed on the grocery retailer appraisal form is the employee comments section, the signatures section and the basic employee information section.
Although the basic employee information section was included on the grocery retailer appraisal form, it does not include a section for entering additional vi...
... middle of paper ...
... Aguinis, (2009, p. 87) accountabilities, objectives and standards components are indications of a results approach. The results approach emphasizes the outcomes and results produced the employees. It does not consider the traits that employees may possess or how employees do the jobs. This approach is not concerned about employee behaviors and processes but, instead, focuses on what is produced.
In summary, appraisal forms are the key instruments used to measure performance. Care and attention are required to ensure that the forms include all the necessary components. More importantly, it is important to remember that one size does not fit all and different components are appropriate based on the purposes of the appraisal. (Aguinis, 2009, p. 143)
Aguinis, H. (2009). Performance Management (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One of the least favorite job functions a supervisor must take on is performance appraisals of their subordinates. This task usually involves the employee completing a self-evaluation and the supervisor completing an evaluation of the employee. Then, both people meet to discuss the overall results. A performance appraisal is the evaluation of an employee’s performance and provides opportunity to correct deficiencies by establishing performance standards for the employee. Typically, this can require the employee to receive training, feedback, and possibly incentives which establishes positive reinforcement.... [tags: Performance appraisal, Management, Need]
1055 words (3 pages)
- EXTENDED ESSAY To what extent do foreign retailers affect the revenues of local grocery retailers in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. Research Question: To what extent do foreign retailers affect the revenues of local grocery retailers in Indore, Madhya Pradesh . Methodology: Primary Research: In order to begin with my research, a market survey will be conducted. Questionnaires will be given to both consumers as well as producers. A sample size of approximately 30 people will be considered. Responses from consumers will give an insight into their shopping routines, and most importantly their reasons for choosing to shop from a particular store.... [tags: Indore, Madhya Pradesh, revenues]
1925 words (5.5 pages)
- Retail grocery industry possess many threats largely from its competitors, change in technology, trends and consumer preferences, bargaining power of buyers & suppliers, introduction of new substitute products etc. Some of the threats faced by India Bazaar are: 1) Online platform owners and big retailers: India Bazaar faces tough competition from big retailers like Walmart, Loblaw’s and local Indian grocery shops located in Surrey region. Although the development of online platforms for grocery sales provides an opportunity to retailers, it possesses a threat to traditional grocers like India Bazaar.... [tags: Supermarket, Wal-Mart, Grocery store, Hypermarket]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Executive summary Also referred to as performance evaluation or performance review, performance appraisal involves the evaluation of the work behavior of an employee through its comparison with specific work standards. The results of the evaluation are document and later used as a feedback to the employee, indicating areas in need of improvements. The current work is aimed at uncovering the poor quality of the performance appraisal system at the Mecklenburg County School District. This system is said to be subjective and associated with inflated ratings.... [tags: Human resource management, Performance appraisal]
1704 words (4.9 pages)
- Performance appraisals are very instrumental in an organization rating an employee’s performance in relation to his/ her job task as well as the overall mission and vision of the company (Sudarsan, 2009). Every organization should implement some type of performance appraisal to provide guidelines and offer ways to improve employee performance in order to create the most successful company possible. When conducting performance appraisals, the employer must determine what type of performance appraisal form will be used.... [tags: Customer, Customer service]
707 words (2 pages)
- 2. S-W-O-T Analysis 2.1 Strengths • Walmart is the largest retailer in the world operating in various formats worldwide (including; discounts stores, supercentres, neighbourhood markets and Sam’s Club), with 3,615 stores today. Leading to consumer awareness and customer loyalties. • In pervious years, Walmart has integrated an e-commerce aspect to their operations. The strength of this aspect is the vast physical advantage when compared with any online retailer. • Due to the convenience and numerous locations of stores, the service of the walmart.com results in an attractiveness to customers, and a way for Walmart to eventually bring more customers to its stores and increase their purchase... [tags: Financial ratios]
1603 words (4.6 pages)
- Following your request, I have reviewed our current performance appraisal system, and I would like to share the results. Three main points that I would like to highlight concerning our performance appraisal system are the pros and cons of the system, several recommendations to improve the system, and a thought of making it less subjective. Performance appraisal in most organizations is perceived as a critical human resource management function. It is believed that a well-designed and implemented performance appraisal system can offer the employee, the supervisor, and the organization several benefits, such as providing supervisors a useful communication instrument for the employee goal setti... [tags: Human resource management, Performance appraisal]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- Grocery shopping is an existential item of life that everyone has to partake in, normally, on a regular basis. Even as the national age continues to increase with the ‘baby boomers’ beginning to edge into retirement and enter assisted living it does not change the fact that they are still in dire need to continue to shop. Within the clinical experience, it was interesting to attempt to be an elderly individual. This was different and really brought into light the complications associated with it, and being partially disabled.... [tags: Supermarket, Wal-Mart, Grocery store]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- Archivists have many different jobs to do and most of us do them well. From choosing the right items for deaccessioning to helping setup an exhibit at the local public library, archivists have shown to be some of the brightest people in the world. They have a unique talent for management, knowledge, and charisma that is rarely seen at most corporate levels. As such, archivists should be properly commended and appreciated for their work. On the other hand, they have a specific place in our society.... [tags: Appraisal Theory]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- Performance Appraisal Appropriate Approach for Performance Appraisal Kudler Foods deals with the supply of both domestic and imported foods. The food store comprise of five departments with specialized classification of skills and competencies. In order to develop and meet the major requirements of an organisation, managers should design an assessment form designed to evaluate employee’s performance regarding their level of understanding and the quality of their work. According to Cromwell & Kolb (2004, p.... [tags: Business Management ]
1184 words (3.4 pages)