I have been a student assistant at the Student Health Services department since November 2011. I was stationed there by the Associate Vice President of Student Services, and then Acting Executive Director of Student Health Services. I have an extensive array of skills which the department staff would take advantage of on occasions, but they were not giving me room to grow. My job duties were minimal, and therefore I was not performing to the full extent of my capabilities. I have extensive computer skills, I am proficient in Microsoft Office programs, and I am highly organized and detail oriented. Working in an office environment was never a problem for me, but performing the same remedial tasks over and over would be tiresome.
According to their website, the Wellness Center is a center that offers “educational programming, services, and resources [that] enable students to play active roles in achieving, protecting, and sustaining health and wellness.” This section of the official department description is accomplished through programs, lectures, and workshops offered. In order to supply the demand for such lectures, the Center gives opportunities for students to intern and apply their knowledge and skills in the educational field. The unfortunate thing is that most of the students come from a health related background (e.g., Health Promotion, Kinesiology, Food & Nutrition). Whether it was students or my own supervisors giving lectures or workshops, I was often asked to accompany the lecturers and assist them. I have attended enough of these pre-written or structurally predefined lectures that I can recite some of these from memory.
Eventually I was allowed to do some outreach events such as t...
... middle of paper ...
...espite all the efforts made to bring awareness. Part of my objective was to work in this particular problem area.
SPONSORING ORGANIZATION & DEPARTMENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES
The Health Promotion department at Cal Poly Pomona is known by its more commonly name, the Wellness Center. The Wellness Center is part of Student Health Services, which in turn is an associated part of the Student Health and Counseling Services department – department which is part of the Student Services division of Cal Poly Pomona. According to their website, the Wellness Center is a center that offers “educational programming, services, and resources [that] enable students to play active roles in achieving, protecting, and sustaining health and wellness.” These criteria from their previous department description are accomplished through programs, lectures, and workshops offered.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... “International students, upon relocation to a foreign country, undergo a major life event which can cause distress that can potentially affect their mental health.” (Sharma MBBS) Often times, these students only introduction to other students is the casual conversation during lecture in the class room. Being removed from traditional methods of human connection can add to this undo mental strain. It is a courtesy to these students to be patient and friendly. Very few native students have considered or been exposed to the difficulties these international students will face in their desire to attain knowledge and a certified education that would be recognized internationally.... [tags: Student, International student]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- The cost of tuition among colleges and universities is highly diversified and indefinite. Students shouldn’t be financial problems that are associated with the high tuition cost for their education because it creates unnecessary stress and financial problems. The student’s primary concern should be their academic performance and learning. The tuition fee includes extracurricular expenses such as lifestyle amenities that may not be essential toward the student education yet they are still being charged for it.... [tags: Establishing regulations for higher education]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- Today’s health care systems have called attention to the importance of therapeutic nurse-client relationship which needs to be reinstated back into the forefront of thoughts and dialogues about nursing pactice since it has been overpowered by a technology driven medical model. Kleiman (2009. p2). In clinical placement, I will meet with clients for the first time and interact with them in weeks to follow. This is one of the most important aspect for a nursing student like me, as it will further cement my practical and theory knowledge in the real world.... [tags: Nursing ]
1675 words (4.8 pages)
- Different types of settings based health promotion Based on the review from Whitelaw et al., settings in health promotion are used to deal with the whole problem rather than separate the problem in every single part. It is because each health related issues do not appear individually and the health problems generally link together to create a coordinated response. Therefore, the health issues should be solved by the healthy settings that contain a holistic angle and integrate multiple setting approaches.... [tags: Health, Public health, Health care]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- ... Proper identification will result in the development of a FCN model of care to address healthcare awareness problems within the church senior citizens center, which called for the application of the IOWA model to make long-lasting EBP changes. Therefore, this DNP student will apply the IOWA model because of its applicability and ease. Ciliska et al. (2011) noted that the IOWA model is comprised of different feedback loops, evaluation, reflecting analysis, and modification founded on the assessment data of process and outcome indicator.... [tags: Health care, Health, Nursing, Health insurance]
2018 words (5.8 pages)
- ... Angela told me that both her and Edwin have been in this college for a little over a year; they were hired to replace three people who worked in the office before them. Since then, they have been establishing new procedures on working with students and tracking their progress and establishing relations with mostly smaller new york companies, which, in Angela 's opinion, are the best partners for 2-year colleges to establish relations with in terms of internships, part-time (transitional) jobs and permanent positions.... [tags: Employment, University, Recruitment, College]
814 words (2.3 pages)
- The purpose of the case study is to offer intervention strategies to assist a Caucasian student with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Karly was referred for a speech and hearing evaluation because of her communication difficulty. Karly is a sixteen-year old female. She was born three weeks premature weighing 2 lbs., 10 oz., with respiratory distress, and she had to stay in a neonatal hospital for six weeks. She is the middle child of two brothers. She began receiving intervention services at 12 months of age to address speech and language issues.... [tags: Autism, Autism spectrum, Asperger syndrome]
1178 words (3.4 pages)
- ... The actual “Moving Out” period seemed to be identified as a result of dialogue focusing on transition programs, going home, in addition to preparing for education. Any time veterans transitioned to postsecondary education, DiRamio and his colleagues identified transition challenges as follows: “connecting with peers, merging within the environment, teachers, the campus veterans’ office, financial issues, disability support, in addition to psychological health” (DiRamio, Ackerman, & Garza-Mitchell, 2008).... [tags: Education, Higher education, Sociology]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Financial difficulties are the situations in which a person is not able to meet their bills on time or afford essential basic needs. It has been reported that financial difficulties and situations are a major issue within society as well as a source of stress for many tertiary students. In fact, there are many kinds of financial difficulties that can strongly affect students. According to (Masuo, et al., 2004), money is a powerful tool, not only because it is an instrument of commerce and a medium of exchange for products and services, but also because it is one that can cause happiness or dependency.... [tags: Full-time, Part-time, Debt, Student]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- According to the Congressional Research Services about 32.4% American adults suffer from mental illness in a given year. The estimated prevalence of serious mental illness among all American adults is 5.8%, or a little over 18 million people. (CRS, 2013) These statistics are critical when evaluating the recent conversations about mental illness and gun control in the United States. Tucson, Virginia Tech, Aurora, Sandy Hook Elementary and Washington Navy Yard are all places that will forever be scarred and remembered by what psychiatrist E.... [tags: Gun Control Essays]
1569 words (4.5 pages)