preview

What is the Cost of Obesity?

Good Essays
Obesity will soon overtake smoking as the number one preventable cause of death (Cawely, 1). Because organic healthy food is so over-priced, Americans are forced to consume cheap unhealthy fast food. This is leading to most of the US population being obese, which could cause serious health risks. About 30% of Americans are now considered obese, and 61% considered overweight (Cawely, 3). If organic food was cheaper, many people say that they would eat it rather than the cheap fatty foods they consume. However it all comes down to money and convenience for us Americans, and we often put our health second instead. If organic health foods were cheaper, the obesity rate in America would go down dramatically.
Us Americans don’t choose to be overweight or obese, in fact we choose to be the complete opposite. But a majority of us are at an unhealthy weight because of poor diets and a lack of exercise. About 400,000 people in America die every year from weight problems (Kalb, 2). Now why would we not want to live longer, or look the ideal way we all praise? The sad thing is, money is more important to some people than their looks or even their lives. According to an organic food eater, “I eat more fruits and vegetables than most people, and they’re expensive” (Gollust, 1). Unfortunately, many people would choose more convenient cheaper food rather than the healthy stuff.
Besides the unsightly cost of organic food, many people choose not to buy it because they feel there is no health related difference between organic and processed foods. In order to be stamped as ‘organic’, foods must contain at least 95% certified organic ingredients (Laliberte, 7). The remaining 5% must be from a national list of substances the USDA has ap...

... middle of paper ...

...Works Cited

Cawely, John. "The Economics of Obesity: Costs, Causes, and Controls." Ebscohost. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Apr. 2014.
Kalb, Claudia. "Culture of Corpulence." Academic Search Premier. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Apr. 2014.
Laliberte, Richard, Holldand, Joel. “Today’s Special: 94% Safer Food!.” Prevention 65.9 (2013): 106. MasterFILE Premier. Web. 2, Apr. 2014.
Singh, J., and K. Whelan. "Limited Availability And Higher Cost Of Gluten-Free Foods." Journal Of Human Nutrition & Dietetics 24.5 (2011): 479-486. Academic Search Premier. Web. 8 Apr. 2014.
Gollust, Sarah E., Jeff Niederdeppe, and Colleen L. Barry. "Framing The Consequences Of Childhood Obesity To Increase Public Support For Obesity Prevention Policy." American Journal Of Public Health 103.11 (2013): e96-e102. Academic Search Premier. Web. 8 Apr. 2014.