Mount Lofty Ranges: Water Quality And Quality Of Water Quality In Australia
849 Words4 Pages
Mount Lofty Range watershed is 1,640 km2 of open land that is surrounded by agriculture and is home to an estimated 50,000 residents. Mount Lofty Range watershed is one of many water resources that provide Adelaide of approximately 60% to 90% of water which is being used by private owned lands and for human activities. With the amount of users that are being provided by Mount Lofty Range watershed, there are issues involving the water quality and pollutants. In this Investigation the issue that will be discussed on Mount Lofty Ranges watershed water quality, as there also will be two perspectives of how the Mount Lofty Ranges watershed water quality can be improved for the present and future users.
Over a decade of having Mount Lofty Ranges watershed as one of the water source for the citizens of Adelaide, there are now concerns of the water quality as there are major issues occurring. The major issue of the water quality is that water is being polluted, examples include:
- Faecal Contamination is one of the many pollutants which also include parasites (cryptosporidium and giardia). They can be caused from animal waste and leaking of septic tanks example.
- Nutrient Contamination is caused from fertilizer, sewage treatment and it can also involve with algal growth in the water due from compounds of nitrogen and phosphorus also can include carbon compounds example.
- Sediment is one also example it is caused from building wastes (soils, clay or sand).
- One of the many issues for water quality is also pesticide contamination.
There are solutions that can be easily done to remove or keep pollutants out of the water and it can be done by the following methods:
- Having a professional check the septic tank for any leaks that are o...
... middle of paper ...
...used most of the time during the investigation. The main website was from the Environment Protection Authority that showed much important information about the water quality of Mount Lofty ranges watershed and how it may be improved in the near future.
Altogether, the investigation that has been researched based on how to improve the water quality of Mount Lofty Range watershed is The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) of Mount Lofty Ranges Watershed Protection Office didn’t seem to be concern about the surroundings of other people that may be living or using the water of Mount Lofty range watershed. But the good thing about this situation is that the Government had stepped in and solved the issue by equaling out the water issue/problem with the farmers and The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) of Mount Lofty Ranges Watershed Protection Office concerns.