Creatine: A Sport Supplement

682 Words2 Pages


Creatine is one of the most popular sports supplements on the market and is used by bodybuilders, and athletes. It is an amino acid, like the building blocks that makes up proteins. It is also an important store of energy in muscle cells. Creatine is a natural nutrient found in our bodies and in the bodies of most animals. It can also be found in the form of a powder and sold as a supplement. Creatine is categorized as a food supplement by the Food and Drug Administration, like a vitamin and is available over the counter at drug stores and nutrition centers. Approximately 95% of the body’s creatine supply is found in the skeletal muscles. The remaining 5% of creatine is scattered throughout the rest of the body, with the highest concentration in the heart, brain, and testes. The human body gets most of the creatine it needs from food or dietary supplements.
Creatine provides additional energy for the body, and increases muscle volume. Most of the size and strength gains are during the first month of use. It gets rid of lactic acid, and improves exercise recovery time. Creatine enhances protein synthesis, and also delays the onset of fatigue.
Most of the side effects arise from creatine drawing water into the body compartments where it has accumulated. This may not sound too serious, but If not compensated for with adequate fluid intake, other body tissues may be deprived of much needed fluids, especially during strenuous exercise. It is very important to remain well hydrated while taking creatine. Drink at least 1-2 ounces of water daily per kilogram of body weight while supplementing. An increase in body weight is the most widely accepted side effect attributed to creatine use. Gastrointestinal distress is the secondly most common side effect reported. Incidences of stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea are more commonly reported during use when greater amounts of creatine are consumed each day. These side effects are due to the presence of large quantities of undissolved creatine particles sticking around within the intestinal compartment. As creatine use in athletes is still relatively new, there are no known long-term effects. There is research for long term effects, but it is too recent for anything to be available.
Creatine is not banned in the NHL, NBA, or NCAA. There are many supplements that contain creatine in them. Two supplements with creatine are ABB Creaforce micronized creatine, 500 g and 1000 g, and Dymatize micronized creatine with 1000 g.

More about Creatine: A Sport Supplement

Open Document